Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carbs For Recovery

Guest SuperBru

Guest SuperBru

Hi everyone,

I have been doing some research on carbohydrates and have found that it seems to be good for recovery. The website stated that consuming carbs 30mins after your workout would be the best thing to do. Is this true? Also if this is true what is a better carbohydrate source between brown rice and oats?

Thanks in advance.

Alexander Svensson

You should check out the "perfect nutrition" thread on here.

Guest SuperBru

I have read it in the past...but I just mainly want to know what would be the best choice between brown rice and oats. Oats has a GI of 58 and brown rice has a GI of 55. Apparently the higher the GI the more quickly a food can elevate your blood sugar. This is obviously not good.

Adam Bodestyne

As I understand it, post-workout is probably the time when you'd want a quickly-absorbed carb source. This is when your body would most need it, and be in the best state to use it.

Guest SuperBru

As I understand it, post-workout is probably the time when you'd want a quickly-absorbed carb source. This is when your body would most need it, and be in the best state to use it.

That is true. I have done more research regarding the top 10 sources of Carbohydrates and Oats is number 1. I will stick to Oats for post workout as it is healthy, cost effective and easy to prepare ( I'm aware it's a complex carbohydrate). I might mix it with some bananas. Would you recommend cooking the oats or just eating them as is. I believe when you cook them the carbohydrate value increases?

Rikke Olsen

Seriously, it's all in the thread. Go re-read it. It's all explained at a level that even I understand.

• Upvote 2

Keilani Gutierrez

the GI of potatoes is somewhere in the high 80's. i remember Josh mentioning them

in his workout nutrition thread

Mark Balsom

With veggies, CRAPTONS of veggies... :mrgreen:

Metric Crapton of Veggies that is! Hahaha can't remember who said that last time but I laughed so much haha!

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

I have read it in the past...but I just mainly want to know what would be the best choice between brown rice and oats. Oats has a GI of 58 and brown rice has a GI of 55. Apparently the higher the GI the more quickly a food can elevate your blood sugar. This is obviously not good.

Usually you would be correct, but you have it backwards in this case.

After the workout, you want the carbs immediately. If you want to wait 30 minutes that's fine, but man... that would be a long 30 minutes for me!

Either way, you want the fastest carbs you can get, because in this case you DO want a huge insulin spike! This spike of insulin actually prevents around half of the muscle damage that naturally occurs after the workout, which means a much shorter recovery period for you and greater overall nitrogen retention, which basically means you'll gain lean mass faster.

For most people, 60-80g of carbs is enough to achieve this effect, and this is why I personally slam down two store-brand pop tarts. 75g of carbs, incredibly rapid absorption, and rock bottom low prices. TO be honest,  glucose powder is cheaper, but I really like those pop tarts and it is the only time they are good for me, so that's what I do. I have my little treat, and it actually helps me instead of wrecking my health. I don't even like the really sweet ones anymore, but the apple cinnamon is my guilty pleasure !^_^!

You don't have to eat pop tarts though, especially if foods like that are a trigger for bad habits to resurrect themselves! White rice or mashed white potatoes are your healthiest fast carbs.

Oats are pretty slow by comparison, but if you like them then I would just eat the oats :)

The most important thing, by far, is that you get carbs after you work out. If you do that, you will be well on your way to winning!

Jon Douglas

Metric Crapton of Veggies that is! Hahaha can't remember who said that last time but I laughed so much haha!

Oh man, do we HAVE to reopen old wounds?

Guest SuperBru

Just drink milk.  LOADS of milk. :P

Lol and prepare for a not so pleasant smell exiting out my rear end constantly:p

Guest SuperBru

the GI of potatoes is somewhere in the high 80's. i remember Josh mentioning them

in his workout nutrition thread

Yeah potato's will be absorbed by the body quickly.

Guest SuperBru

Usually you would be correct, but you have it backwards in this case.

After the workout, you want the carbs immediately. If you want to wait 30 minutes that's fine, but man... that would be a long 30 minutes for me!

Either way, you want the fastest carbs you can get, because in this case you DO want a huge insulin spike! This spike of insulin actually prevents around half of the muscle damage that naturally occurs after the workout, which means a much shorter recovery period for you and greater overall nitrogen retention, which basically means you'll gain lean mass faster.

For most people, 60-80g of carbs is enough to achieve this effect, and this is why I personally slam down two store-brand pop tarts. 75g of carbs, incredibly rapid absorption, and rock bottom low prices. TO be honest,  glucose powder is cheaper, but I really like those pop tarts and it is the only time they are good for me, so that's what I do. I have my little treat, and it actually helps me instead of wrecking my health. I don't even like the really sweet ones anymore, but the apple cinnamon is my guilty pleasure ! ^_^!

You don't have to eat pop tarts though, especially if foods like that are a trigger for bad habits to resurrect themselves! White rice or mashed white potatoes are your healthiest fast carbs.

Oats are pretty slow by comparison, but if you like them then I would just eat the oats :)

The most important thing, by far, is that you get carbs after you work out. If you do that, you will be well on your way to winning!

Yes that's the only problem with eating oats after the workout. Does being an ectomorph change anything? I heard that complex carbs are great for ectomorphs because we tend to burn off calories a lot faster. I'm not sure if it would make a difference for me after the workout if I eat complex carbs vs simple carbs? Is it possible that since I burn off calories quicker that the oats will be absorbed quicker? Not sure if this make sense but anyway. The main reason why I like oats so much is because it's the cheapest and very healthy. A cup of oats would roughly give me 53.7g of Carbohydrates which mixed with something else will do the trick. 

Kate Abernethy

A very long time ago, my post-workout 'treat' was a mug of uncooked oats with one raw egg and milk stirred in. Not sure a raw egg is a good idea these days... but cheap if you have your own chickens  :not_the_easter_egg:  <- is that an egg?!

Yes that's the only problem with eating oats after the workout. Does being an ectomorph change anything? I heard that complex carbs are great for ectomorphs because we tend to burn off calories a lot faster. I'm not sure if it would make a difference for me after the workout if I eat complex carbs vs simple carbs? Is it possible that since I burn off calories quicker that the oats will be absorbed quicker? Not sure if this make sense but anyway. The main reason why I like oats so much is because it's the cheapest and very healthy. A cup of oats would roughly give me 53.7g of Carbohydrates which mixed with something else will do the trick. 

If you can find a brewing supply store or a brewery that will trade with you, you can buy dextrose in 4lb+ bags that are incredibly cheap, i.e. $5 pound for pure glucose. You may absorb food quicker than others, but you will always absorb something like dextrose, maltodextrin, or cooked white potatoes more quickly than oats. Its up to you, but know that eating fast carbs can be GOOD immediately post workout. If oats are all you've got, go oats.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.