Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Effects of Amino Acid Supplementation on Muscle Soreness and

Gregor

Effects of Amino Acid Supplementation on Muscle Soreness and Damage

Kazunori Nosaka; Paul Sacco; Kazunori Mawatari Full Article Table of Contents for Vol. 16, Iss. 6

Abstract

This study investigated the effect of a supplement containing 9 essential and 3 nonessential amino acids on muscle soreness and damage by comparing two endurance exercise bouts of the elbow flexors with amino acid or placebo supplementation in a double blind crossover design. The supplement was ingested 30 min before (10 h post-fasting) and immediately after exercise (Experiment 1), or 30 min before (2-3 h after breakfast), immediately post, and 8 more occasions over 4-day post-exercise (Experiment 2). Changes in muscle soreness and indicators of muscle damage for 4 days following exercise were compared between supplement conditions using two-way ANOVA. No significant differences between conditions were evident for Experiment 1; however, plasma creatine kinase, aldolase, myoglobin, and muscle soreness were significantly lower for the amino acid versus placebo condition in Experiment 2. These results suggest that amino acid supplementation attenuates DOMS and muscle damage when ingested in recovery days.

Interesting...Thanks for posting. DOM's seems to have always been a bit of a hard thing to understand among the experts as far as I can read....They haven't specifically found a cause.

The only thing with these studies is that they don't always give information such as sample size (number of people), training age, specific training information etc etc. But still very interesting and something to consider! :D

Thanks.

Interesting...Thanks for posting. DOM's seems to have always been a bit of a hard thing to understand among the experts as far as I can read....They haven't specifically found a cause.

The only thing with these studies is that they don't always give information such as sample size (number of people), training age, specific training information etc etc. But still very interesting and something to consider! :D

Thanks.

That's why is called an abstract and not whole study :lol::lol:

I can tell you in my expiriences, you can kill DOMS with amino acids or at least lower its magnitude.

Haha yeah I know :oops: . But I meant that statement more generally....some studies don't have this information and so it questions the validity.

That's interesting that you found it reduces DOMS :) ! I have most definately suffered from DOMs after starting a new program etc and so may start taking supplements. On a very general note regarding supplements, for a beginner who engages in Gymnastic Strength Training™ would you say there are a few ESSENTIALS that are really needed and there are others that are compliments to the essentials. Would something like this sound reasonably ok?:

Pre Workout:

Amino acids

Creatine

Post workout:

Natural fruit juice (glycogen replenishment)

Whey protein (0.6g/Kg of lean body mass)

Creatine

Many thanks!

This might be a bit offtopic, since you rate vitamins as number one supplement. How does your diet actually look like? I tried to search for it with no luck, but I hope it's different from this guy.

uYHAR8Xzsyo

OFF TOPIC;

he must be joking about this fish, fish, fisd, fish :lol::lol:

No matter a what my diet is and what is my number one supplement I can tell you I was sick only once in two years time. Last year completly without sickness. People say not many vitamins you can absorb with supplement :arrow: yes they have right, but so if you would theoreticly absorb all vitamins, would have vitamins supplements less amout of its vitamins. I extra add ordinary 2-3g vitamin C per day (with vitamin/minerals). And it's so cheap supplement, just few dollars.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.