Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seeking advice on a backyard pullup bar

Connor Davies

Connor Davies

So I need advice on purchasing a backyard pullup bar.  At the moment I'm hanging rings off the tree out the front, which is less than ideal....

I need something I can hang rings off, high enough that I can do pullups and low enough I can do dips.  I'd also like to be able to flag off the side of it, because I'm renting and I can't just install stall bars on my walls.

So I have a backyard, but it's totally paved and I won't be able to bury any cement blocks or poles in the ground.  I need ideas for a sturdy arrangement.

I considered a power rack, as they're designed to hold 5x my bodyweight on one side, I figured I could flag off one.  But the bars on power racks are always square, and I don't think they're really high enough to hang rings off...

Anyone got any good (preferably cheap) ideas?

Josh Schmitter

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/blog/pull-up-bar-adjustable-and-portable/

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/blog/diy-freestanding-pull-up-station-and-workout-structure/

These might help with ideas. You can pretty much make anything with pipe/fittings from a home improvement store as long as you're not doing swings or anything crazy...but I mean if you do, please have a live stream linked up to here and a copy of your will :).

Barring that, finding a tree/playground nearby would be your cheapest, albeit, less convenient best.

• 1 month later...
Ciaran Regan

I am looking for a solution to this as well. I just built a free standing pull-up bar wood/metal combination. I'll start a thread on it. Anyway, I am trying to figure out how to add a stalling section on it for flags, as well as a dip extension..hmm

• 1 month later...
Connor Davies

Reviving this old thread with my revised estimates of my equipment needs.

I'm envisioning something similar to monkey bars, but on their sides.  Picture a ladder going up one side (for stall bars) with a set of parallel bars coming off them at the top (with a single crossbar like stall bars have.)  Again, I would need to be able to flag off the side of it.

Ideally it would be 100 inches total height (that's just slightly higher than my reach) and collapse-able/dismantle-able in case I have to move house so I can take it with me.

I figure I can just fix it to the wall to support it while I do flags, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

So, any advice on building it?  Anyone in south wales that I can pay to build it for me?

Connor Davies

Make something big so you can have your ring straps at full length :)

And probably somewhere to hang rope off as well....

And probably somewhere to hang rope off as well....

Definitely. I have a rope, but I have it in my 10ft high ceiling room, so I have to go up and down a lot. :(

Jake Lawrance

Definitely. I have a rope, but I have it in my 10ft high ceiling room, so I have to go up and down a lot. :(

Consider yourself lucky, mines only 6ft! and I can't even start at the very bottom of the rope :mellow:  Garage Gyms I tell ya!  :lol:

Consider yourself lucky, mines only 6ft! and I can't even start at the very bottom of the rope :mellow:  Garage Gyms I tell ya!  :lol:

Haha, yeah, I need to buy a ring tower and put it in my backyard, lol.

Connor Davies

So what, are we thinking about a 15ft attachment then?  Should I just buy a whole gymnastics gym while I'm at it?  At least then I'd have foam pits and all that other cool stuff...

So what, are we thinking about a 15ft attachment then?  Should I just buy a whole gymnastics gym while I'm at it?  At least then I'd have foam pits and all that other cool stuff...

I've actually thought about making my own small personal gym in the future. It would be fun to train whenever I want without any distractions. :) Of course, that would cost quite a bit of money. :(

Ideally, you would probably want something for a ~10 ft ring setup, not including the length of your body to be able to perform a full dead hang without touching the ground. Also, you would want it to be wide enough for when you start working on iron cross in the future.

I honestly don't really know much about homemade stuff, but is something like that even doable? Perhaps you could put two large 4x4s attached to a large base on the ground with a thick metal bar connecting the 4x4s?

Connor Davies

I've actually thought about making my own small personal gym in the future. It would be fun to train whenever I want without any distractions. :) Of course, that would cost quite a bit of money. :(

I've thought about opening a public gym filled with mostly bodyweight equipment.  The problem would be finding some actual customers...  I think it's sad that more people don't realise how good this training is.