Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnasts Muscle Mass

Guest SuperBru

Daniel Burnham

Given the results low level strength work is having on us, i would find it more likely that training 4+ hours a say, tumbling, conditioning etc, a competitive gymnast would have more trouble simply getting enough calorie to fuel their workload, let alone promote max ypertrophy even if that were their goal.

And that's just energy vs. out, let alone the hormonal effects of structured, progressive training over years.

/2c

This. You would be surprised what you can eat and still looked ripped after this kind of training. Guys in my gym frequently eat fast food and have sub 10% body fat because the simply aren't close to the amount of calories they need. One guy eats fast food at least once a day and they had a hard time even getting a skin fold on his waist.

Joshua Naterman

Yep.

You guys don't realize that if you're actually practicing actively for even 2 hours, with 1 hour being a GB-style warm up + Foundation work and the second hour being fairly consistent skill work, you're going to be burning something like 13 METs of energy. In other words, those two hours cost you 13 hours worth of food. You will have to eat more than 50% more calories than a normal day JUST to break even.

That is just from your training... do you realize that working at your computer for 8 hours causes you to spend 1.8 METs per hour? That means that during your 8 hour workday you are actually burning about 14.5 hours worth of energy.

If you need 2000 calories for BMR, this means you need around 83.3 calories per hour at rest, and that's if you're not recovering from exercise. Every hour you work at your computer you would need 83.3 *1.8 = 150 calories. That's 1200 calories to cover the work day. Then you spend 13 METs on your workout as described, so that's another ~1100 calories. We're at 2300 calories, and we've only covered 10 hours of your 24 hour day.

Perhaps now you can see why so many people don't see the mindblowing results they expect: The amount of food you need for the magic to happen is simply not there.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

Yep.

You guys don't realize that if you're actually practicing actively for even 2 hours, with 1 hour being a GB-style warm up + Foundation work and the second hour being fairly consistent skill work, you're going to be burning something like 13 METs of energy. In other words, those two hours cost you 13 hours worth of food. You will have to eat more than 50% more calories than a normal day JUST to break even.

That is just from your training... do you realize that working at your computer for 8 hours causes you to spend 1.8 METs per hour? That means that during your 8 hour workday you are actually burning about 14.5 hours worth of energy.

If you need 2000 calories for BMR, this means you need around 83.3 calories per hour at rest, and that's if you're not recovering from exercise. Every hour you work at your computer you would need 83.3 *1.8 = 150 calories. That's 1200 calories to cover the work day. Then you spend 13 METs on your workout as described, so that's another ~1100 calories. We're at 2300 calories, and we've only covered 10 hours of your 24 hour day.

Perhaps now you can see why so many people don't see the mindblowing results they expect: The amount of food you need for the magic to happen is simply not there.

I need to go all electric, at that rate, food is way to expensive! :wacko::D

Larry Roseman

Yep.

13 mets seems way high Josh. Hasn't 5-6 and perhaps 8 been bantered about before?

Rikke Olsen

Talk about expensive. Japan ain't easy! More than half of my food budget is spent on veggies.

Michael Soueid

If i understood it correctly Josh calculates 8METs for the first hour of Foundation work and 5 Mets of the second hour of skill work, which gives you the 13METs for the complete 2h workout

Daniel Burnham

It isn't that expensive. Butter and rice are pretty cheap. Combine this with a protein of your choice and get whatever vegetables you can.

• Upvote 1

Larry Roseman

If i understood it correctly Josh calculates 8METs for the first hour of Foundation work and 5 Mets of the second hour of skill work, which gives you the 13METs for the complete 2h workout

Gotcha. Sorry Sliz. I'm used to thinking per/hour. 13/hour for 2 hours (26) is like running a half marathon in 7/min miles. 

8+5 makes more sense, thanks.

Rikke Olsen

It isn't that expensive. Butter and rice are pretty cheap. Combine this with a protein of your choice and get whatever vegetables you can..

True, it isn't too bad. Especially if you know where to shop, which I do, of course B), it can be done pretty darn cheap. Even for veggies. But if you don't...  But then again, I still have two rents to pay :facepalm:

The meat and rice really is pretty cheap overall, but the veg can be hard to find. I'm just happy I have 業務スーパー! Lifesaver.