Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle Up Question (Sorry, nOOb)

kintelary

I see all of these people doing muscle ups and when I get on a pullup bar and begin to pull up over the bar, I notice that there is only one way to go, and that is my body away from the bar, straightening my arms upward and performing a full body tricep pushdown. That is too hard at this point obviously, but what is that called? I never see it that way and I always see "false grip" discussions, but I look at my body trying to push myself above the bar and wonder why it is wrong (if I could build to doing that way would it be right in some way, even if called something else)??

I hope this question makes sense.

matthew.percussion

In the beginning it helps to use a bit of speed to power through the transition.

Couple of questions for you:

Do you have a strong false grip?

Can you do a dip on a straight bar(chest to the bar)?

Try using the speed as I mentioned above, get up through the transition and lean far forward with your shoulders.

On rings the muscle-up is more difficult(strength wise), but less awkward(nothing to stop your chest from going straight up).

I just barely learned what a false grip is, so no, it hurts my wrists.

I guess it is necessary to move through a range of motion without changing grips.

Yes, I can dip on a straight bar, but limited ROM because of the position of the bar.

The Muscle Up looks like rotating the shoulders over the bar and pressing up.

I read the post on working through the transition by lowering down from above the bar and such.

What is the value of the false grip, it just hurts my wrists?

Now I am repeating myself, sheesh! :roll:

Thanks for the help, what are you thinking?

I noticed alot of people don't know how to do the false grip. In false grip ordinary if you don't have any injurys, don't hurts at all.

matthew.percussion

If you have a normal pull-up grip on the bar it is very difficult to get over the transition. Try doing a dip with your hands contacting the bar as they would in a pull-up position. It is very awkward and nearly impossible to do.

The false grip hurts the skin on the heel of my palm. Is that what you are talking about? It is normal.

I mean wrists personally.

It is actually weaknesses from injury. My wrists have a tendancy to pop out of joint when holding weight at a specific angle. Like carrying something (heavy for wrists, not arms) palms up gripping (like you would normall carry anything with two people). Also, when doing pullups on some days if not careful, my left wrist will seperate. Not comfortable. :(

In the false grip, the angle of my wrist makes it hurt and feels like it cannot support the weight (it probably can't at all).

I will look, but is there a way to strengthen the wrists once again not to do that?? Strength for more than false grip, but for general use as well? Would the wrist pushups shown elsewhere help with all of this??

I am a fitness enthusiast, but evertime I begin seriously trying to get fit, all of these joint problems resurface and remind me why I am less enthusiastic once I get started. Still, I have no choice, this will go on the rest of my life if I don't strengthen my body properly.

BTW Thanks for having this site and sharing so many resources Coach (and those who help maintain it).

i think that one of the main points with that false grip is that your wrist is above the rings all the time - which is a prerequisite for the dip, isnt it?

since we are discussing muscle-up technique: do you guys have any pointers for the transition phase? i manage to lower myself very low in a dip and thanks to the false grip, i can pull myself up rather high - but no matter whether i try positives or negatives, i dont really have the hang of that actual transitioning between hanging from and supporting on the rings quite yet. coach writes about elbows pointing downwards transitioning to elbows pointing upwards - which makes sense, but once i am on the rings, i kind of lose every conception of how to exactly do that - if that makes any sense. :) (or could this be a problem of strength in the extreme ends of rom?)

if you know any drills to get acquainted with the movement itself (the skill part of it, not the strength part), id be rather happy and grateful :D

"i think that one of the main points with that false grip is that your wrist is above the rings all the time - which is a prerequisite for the dip, isnt it?"

Yes. Inn dip, you must tumble your wrists on support, so on inside and when you go down just roll it back to false.

"since we are discussing muscle-up technique: do you guys have any pointers for the transition phase? i manage to lower myself very low in a dip and thanks to the false grip, i can pull myself up rather high - but no matter whether i try positives or negatives, i dont really have the hang of that actual transitioning between hanging from and supporting on the rings quite yet."

Try to do a push up with your elbows forward and down (of course in false grip), your legs are a litlle lean forward :arrow: Then wiht burst of energy roll your shoulders and pecs above the rings and silmutaniosly turn your wrist to support.

I hope this extra explainnation helps...

"coach writes about elbows pointing downwards transitioning to elbows pointing upwards - which makes sense, but once i am on the rings, i kind of lose every conception of how to exactly do that - if that makes any sense."

It's the same as I wrote.

thanks gregor - ill try that! (greetings to ljubljana - the city with the name of one of my favorite bands: laibach)

Kintelary, google standing false grip rows on youtube bye Leonid Subbotine.

More than likely as a big guy, there is just too much load on your wrists in the false grip for your strength.

I couldn't find it, but I understand. False Grip Rows... that will be easier on my wrists while I build strength, but I will have to figure out what to lift, because I lack weights. Still, the concept is in mind now, so I can work with it.

Thanks again.

as for weights...empty milk jugs, fill with sand or water...ducktape the top, i use my bowling ball for some stuff or my 25lb DB.

you can make a heavy bar with pvc and some sort of metal. lead shot or bb's or rocks or sand.

matthew.percussion

Here is a slightly more simplified version of false grip rows. Purely on the false grip. Unlike the other video that is a muscle-up row.

aT6uifZOThs

Thanks for the video, Matthew. I need to improve my false grip.

Muscle-ups kinda piss me off recently (as do tuck planches.) A month ago, at the gym, I was able to do the most I've ever done with good form. (I was trying to impress cheerleaders. :lol: ) anyway, since that day I can't do muscle-ups unless I try really hard.

matthew.percussion

Definitely. I was sore and tired at the end of practice one day, but saw the cheer class warming up.

I suddenly had the ability to do a few amazing tumbling passes. =]

Good luck with your mups again.