This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Another Nemesis: Planche Leans (form check)

Started by Adriano Augusto, April 30, 2013 · 59 Replies · 5,570 Views

Adriano Augusto

Yeah, that moment when you realised that you has rushed quite a bit on Foundation 1 progressions... HBP/PE3 ppp form check... HA! 

 

I thought that I conquered this PE in the first weeks with Foundation, but no way my friend, no way.

 

Now, i've stuck on this for a month or so, looking for the perfect form on the beginning. 

 

It has to be like that, no excuses.

 

Besides, I hate that movement because I'm stuck with it, but when I watch the video, I love the form of the exercise itself (planche leans). In any case, I don't know if my form is correct or if I have to lean more, or something else.

 

 

 

I leave a recommendation from Josh on another thread that I think must be here to not get lost.

 

 

"You may want to stick your middle finger directly out to the side, like making a straight line between the two, instead of only being partially rotated out. This will be more difficult, because you don't get the cantilever effect from the fingers as much, but you will be able to keep your wrist on the ground, This will also carry over to PB and rings a bit more because of the more similar arm position.

 

It will be important to actively grip the ground, a lazy hand can lead to wrist problems."

 

 

 

Any advice would be great guys. I love you.

 

Greetings from Spain.

 

PS: My english it is improving by the time!!!!!!!!!! I feel it!

Keilani Gutierrez

tremenda forma que tienes ahi hermanazo, es parte del proceso :P como te sientes en la protracion de la escapula? sientes que le puedes poner un poco mas de fuerza hacia el piso para levantarte mas o hasta ahi es tu limite?

 

"nice form there buddy, it's all part of the process :P how do you feel with the protraction in the scapula? do you feel like you can put a little more of downward force or is that your limit?"

 

and btw, your english HAS improved a lot. you know what helped me a lot? watching inspector gadget and reading english books(por mi alma que odio leer en espa~ol por todas las palabras coloquiales que todavia no conosco muy bien) :P 

FredInChina

Very nice Adriano Flo, good effort there :)

Joshua Naterman

Pretty solid.

chobbs

Looking good man. And your English is a million times better than my Spanish. :)

 

- Chris

3D Guy

exacto, lo que te han mencionado, tienes buena forma hermano =)

me da mucho gusto

 

animo y a progresar!!!

B1214N

Your planche leans are good the way they are, but they're not perfect. You are slightly piked with too much rounding of the back. A straight body planche lean on floor will have the hips slightly below shoulder level. It's also not with maximal lean, but you will get there as you get stronger eventually.

Adriano Augusto

Well, I updated the thread with a new video, planche leans 4x18. I've tried not rounding the back so much and keep the scapula protacted, but I think that on the last set I depressed them a little bit, but I'm not 100% sure.

 

To me, 4x18 1 month ago was been crazy but I can manage the scheme pretty well.

 

 

btw, I love my shoulder fibers shaking.

 

Please people, any advice to keep progressing?

Coach Sommer

- Getting there.  

 

- Previously you had too much rounding in the middle of the back.  That is now better.

 

- However you still need more rounding of the upper back.  Good planche work is enormously dependent upon a strong upper back.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Adriano Augusto

Thanks Coach. I see exactly whay you say, so I'll have to work more hard!

wamarler

Thanks for posting this Adrian, I'm working on Planche Leans right now too, and struggling with similar form issues. 

Keilani Gutierrez
Coach Sommer said:

- Getting there.

- Previously you had too much rounding in the middle of the back. That is now better.

- However you still need more rounding of the upper back. Good planche work is enormously dependent upon a strong upper back.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

when you say more rounding of the upper back, what do you mean exactly? when I protract and depress, I try to copy Allan even in the foundation course picture and he seems to be trying to lean as much as he can while keeping a straight body. am i interpreting this wrong?

edit: or what am i interpreting wrong?

Keilani Gutierrez
Zach Armijo said:

The more you depress and the more you lean, the more load will be placed on the upper back. If you stand up straight next to a mirror and do a standing static planche, and then protract and depress at different ROMs. So notice your body shape going from protracting with no depression or even elevated scaps, to the different "levels" of depression with protraction.

It is harder to see the subtle differences in athletes that have literally been do these moves most of their lives, versus us common folk who tend to exaggerate these movements because they are not as natural to us.

Keep training, record yourself, and submit to digital coaching to catch a problem area and stop it from becoming a bad habit.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

 

Thanks for the insight, Zach, appreciate it :)

B1214N
KeilaniG said:

when you say more rounding of the upper back, what do you mean exactly? when I protract and depress, I try to copy Allan even in the foundation course picture and he seems to be trying to lean as much as he can while keeping a straight body. am i interpreting this wrong?

edit: or what am i interpreting wrong?

He basically meant protracting more. You should always aim for straight/hollow body as in no pike or arch in the lower back.

Eddie
Zach Armijo said:

If you stand up straight next to a mirror and do a standing static planche, and then protract and depress at different ROMs. So notice your body shape going from protracting with no depression or even elevated scaps, to the different "levels" of depression with protraction.

 

 

Holy crap did that help. Thanks Zach, that really helped me get a good squeeze in my chest which is what has been alluding me. So I guess my problem has not been protracting the shoulders but depressing the shoulders. This seems to be the case for all of us with the rounded back and a slight pike in the hips.

Adriano Augusto

Well, I think this is my best attempt to a Planche Lean compared to others. I really love how I depressed scapula in the video and how it looks like. 

 

It's a short video because this was after sPL training and I would want to use my warm up feeling to practice perfect form. I'll start all the way back week 1 with this ROM because It's nonsense keep doing 4x18 or even more if at 15 second I start to lose form.

 

I would like to lean more (I don't know if I have to) but I lose all the tension along the arms and upper back if I do so; and now I start to feeling that thing in traps, that "engage", that it goes along the pecs too. 

 

http://youtu.be/9QT5J94K8QA

 

Guys, this it will be better with your advice. Thanks!

FredInChina

Very nice Adriano :)

Just one thing: Smile, this is supposed to be fun! :P

Adriano Augusto

I'm reading Fred's signature and his right: patience takes time and slow progress is still progress.

 

At each session I feel quite good on this exercise and I feel more things: scapulas, serratus, upper back... and like Coach said: I getting there.

 

Last week

 

2emoab7.jpg

 

Yesterday

 

123l4si.jpg

 

It's quite evident that the rounding has been decreased and although lean is less, it's more steady. I've more engaged all the thing (traps, scapula, serratus, etc).

 

I'm on deload right know and when I finished it i'll be back all the way down to week 1 maintaining this ROM and improving it! 

 

Little by little!

Adriano Augusto

Well guys, take a look at my progress on this PE since july. I think my form it's pretty solid compared to others attempts.

 

I've serious respect to planche leans form and each training I make time after training to try improve the form taking a lot of videos from different angles. 

 

Both the lean and protraction are better compared to other attempts. I can feel how the traps are working and the base of the hands too. 

 

I'm working on 5x18 right now, comfortable holds now that I can feel the corrects things working.

 

Let me your input on this family, it would be great.

 

wamarler

Looking very solid Adriano! Very nice work. I can't find any faults here. 

 

I should say, I am not an authority here, I'm just another guy working GST. But if my planche leans looked like yours, I would be very satisfied.

Riku Calderón

It's so motivational to me to see you guys perform. Nice work!! Someday im there too :)

Jon Douglas

Looks good :) your persistence is paying off

Adriano Augusto

Thanks YOU guys. It's been a long way to improve form on Planche Leans, and every time I got desperate because I wasn't progress I remember what Zach said once: "Planche leans are gold". And yes they are, are BASIC, are FOUNDATION.

 

Now I'm implemeting this new pattern doing GTG with it; next week deload and finally road to 5x30 :D

 

I've to say one thing about them: is more than scapulas. Scapula position is highly important (protraction and depression), but abs/glutes/legs/feet tension along the body is crucial, just like hand position and "pushing" the floor to maintain scapula position... that hollow in the body.

 

Through the months I've been noticing each cue separately; one day was that "Aha moment" about scapula position, other was "Aha" about the hands, other was the abs, etc etc. And every time I tried put all together it was a mess; until now, slowly my brain has been learning that patterns and the other day was like "Boom".

 

A learning process, same as life.

 

Thanks again for the inspiring support!

Jon Douglas

Doesn't seem like such a long time now, right? :)

And you're spot on with the body shape tension. The big difference for me, kind of randomly, is tensing my lats hard and pulling my body into alignment.

Adriano Augusto

Well, I've been on week 10, 4x30, near mastery, and this is the result.

 

 

Fourth set a little bit complicated because of "no-rest" issue, and of course, it hadn't same form as first one but well...

 

In any case, I'm going to do mastery, deload, and repeat again the entire mini-cicle to refinement and more endurance.

 

Planche Leans nemesis? Not much longer.