This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Achieving Form before Progressing

Started by Sven Ravnstag, April 30, 2013 · 64 Replies · 1,625 Views

Nic Branson

:ph34r:

Jon Douglas
Nic Branson said:

:ph34r:

 

 

*Most* people qualified to comment work long hours ^_^

jwalker497

Ok cool appreciate the help

gohei_
Coach Sommer said:

If you are shaking, it is not perfect form.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I know for mastery, shaking is not allowed but what would you recommend on the way there? Working through the shaking until it disappears or just stop with your set as soon as shaking occurs?

FredInChina
chobbs said:
(...) A lot of this is a big unknown. As Coach hasn't responded with a "nope, do it this way" type response I take it to mean there are a variety of ways to approach this and as long as we are getting in the work it will come under control in time. (...)

 

In Coach's mind we were all supposed to breeze through that one... he is too busy laughing his a$$ off to reply; his fingers are shaking too hard!  :D :D

FredInChina

I am surprised no-one mentioned the cause of shaking being the exhaustion of the muscle fibers involved and the attempts of the body to maintain the tension necessary to the exercise by shifting the load from one group of fibers to the next as the previously recruited one got cooked - I remember Joshua Naterman explaining this in details in an older post...

If I remember correctly, shaking indicated the recruitment of more muscle fibers, and a more "in depth" training of the muscle.

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

I am surprised no-one mentioned the cause of shaking being the exhaustion of the muscle fibers involved and the attempts of the body to maintain the tension necessary to the exercise by shifting the load from one group of fibers to the next as the previously recruited one got cooked - I remember Joshua Naterman explaining this in details in an older post...

If I remember correctly, shaking indicated the recruitment of more muscle fibers, and a more "in depth" training of the muscle.

That's interesting-- any idea where you saw that?

Keilani Gutierrez
FredInChina said:

I am surprised no-one mentioned the cause of shaking being the exhaustion of the muscle fibers involved and the attempts of the body to maintain the tension necessary to the exercise by shifting the load from one group of fibers to the next as the previously recruited one got cooked - I remember Joshua Naterman explaining this in details in an older post...

If I remember correctly, shaking indicated the recruitment of more muscle fibers, and a more "in depth" training of the muscle.

yeah, where did you see that? at first, i wasn't getting this with ABH but now, i sure as hell am now that I'm going for maximum extension while in the week 2 reps/sets

 

and....now that you mention it, so is the FL/PE1 from todays workout...

gohei_
FredInChina said:

I am surprised no-one mentioned the cause of shaking being the exhaustion of the muscle fibers involved and the attempts of the body to maintain the tension necessary to the exercise by shifting the load from one group of fibers to the next as the previously recruited one got cooked - I remember Joshua Naterman explaining this in details in an older post...

If I remember correctly, shaking indicated the recruitment of more muscle fibers, and a more "in depth" training of the muscle.

I have heard this as well in a discussion about holding the horse stance in kung fu.

Joshua Naterman

The shaking can be from a lot of things, including your body rapidly switching between some motor units, but it can be anything from not having enough carbs to being dehydrated or hyponatremic (not enough sodium).

 

I will suggest that people try drinking some salted water (600mg sodium, which is 1/4 tsp or 1.25mL of table salt or sea salt, per liter or quart) for a few hours prior to the workout. If the salt makes you feel funny, it is probably iodized. Trying noniodized salt tends to be what is needed if you feel slightly nauseous.

 

Also, specifically getting dietary carbohydrates, whether it's a sports drink or fairly quick digesting real food (food preferred in my case, YMMV), a few minutes before you start warming up, can really make a difference.

 

Most of you really don't know how much energy you are burning, or how much you really do need carbs and the right amount of salt, and these things absolutely make noticeable differences.

FredInChina
Charm said:

That's interesting-- any idea where you saw that?

 

 

KeilaniG said:

yeah, where did you see that? at first, i wasn't getting this with ABH but now, i sure as hell am now that I'm going for maximum extension while in the week 2 reps/sets

 

and....now that you mention it, so is the FL/PE1 from todays workout...

 

Sorry, I could not find it with the search tools (the search is not as good as before the migration to the new software I am afraid; that, or some indexing of the archives is not done properly :( )

Leo Trinidad
Joshua Naterman said:

The shaking can be from a lot of things, including your body rapidly switching between some motor units, but it can be anything from not having enough carbs to being dehydrated or hyponatremic (not enough sodium).

 

I will suggest that people try drinking some salted water (600mg sodium, which is 1/4 tsp or 1.25mL of table salt or sea salt, per liter or quart) for a few hours prior to the workout. If the salt makes you feel funny, it is probably iodized. Trying noniodized salt tends to be what is needed if you feel slightly nauseous.

 

Also, specifically getting dietary carbohydrates, whether it's a sports drink or fairly quick digesting real food (food preferred in my case, YMMV), a few minutes before you start warming up, can really make a difference.

 

Most of you really don't know how much energy you are burning, or how much you really do need carbs and the right amount of salt, and these things absolutely make noticeable differences.

thanks a lot about this! This is a useful weapon.. Hehehe
Leo Trinidad

Josh, 

my actual pre workout is coffee in at least 500ml of cold water or up to 750ml with some brown sugar or hershey's syrup and creatine.

can i add the 1/4 tsp of sea salt here?

 

i don't eat before training because i feel heavy.

thanks.

Joshua Naterman
Leo Trinidad said:

Josh, 

my actual pre workout is coffee in at least 500ml of cold water or up to 750ml with some brown sugar or hershey's syrup and creatine.

can i add the 1/4 tsp of sea salt here?

 

i don't eat before training because i feel heavy.

thanks.

Yep, might actually be pretty tasty!

 I love coffee.

Leo Trinidad

Thanks.. Now i am really psyched out! :)