Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OH SHOOT! These moments when we wished we could turn the clock back a bit...

FREDERIC DUPONT

FREDERIC DUPONT
My first "Oh Shoot!" moment was at school; I was maybe 11, at the back of the class and playing with a utility knife when I nearly severed the tendon of my left thumb extensor!
Oh Shoot!
There was blood everywhere and I wished I could turn back the clock a bit so it had not happen... :(:facepalm:
I wrapped the thing in my hanky and never said a word to anyone.

What are your "oh shoot" moments? :)

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

my second time at woodward east, I was riding this indoor park called Cloud 9. 

awesome place, mini ramp with a spine and two wallride extensions with a sub box in the middle, regulations vert ramp and a resi set up with a rhythm section in the side with a foam pit to match. 

had some of my best sessions ever at that place and met some really nice people. 

so one day, I was trying double whips in the resi and couldn't get my feet on the pedals for the life of me, so I resorted to hucking a few into the foam pit for maximum comfort(it was annoying to do especially with having to haul your bike out of the pit) 

so I take a few runs, come close and need to extend my feet more to catch my pedals instead of bending at the knee over the frame on one try, so i went for the extension, my bike went too far infront of me, and when I fell into the foam pit, i landed in a crater. 

only the way I landed in the crater was in a Arch body Hold.....and I heard my entire spine do a loud crack. that's when everything went numb. I really hadn't thought nothing of it until I got over the initial shock of hearing such a vulnerable part of your body do the most disgusting and loud crunching sound ever. i tried moving my feet and I couldn't. again, too drawn in from the shock and my mind in a kind of white noise, I felt myself relax for around 5 minutes, to when I finally started paying attention that people were asking me if i was allright, if i needed help and i replied that i just needed to stay there for a moment. 

I mustered up the courage to try and move my legs. my toes wiggled. then my ankle moved, finally i could regain my composure and get up and out from the foam pit to take a trip to the medic in the....you guessed it, the gymnastics facilities :P 

hahahahahahhaha I've come full circle! thanks again for the lovely memory, Fred, it had been one that i hadn't thought of in a while! 

definitely a "oh $#^" moment. 

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

My first "Oh Shoot!" moment was at school; I was maybe 11, at the back of the class and playing with a utility knife when I nearly severed the tendon of my left thumb extensor!

Oh Shoot!

There was blood everywhere and I wished I could turn back the clock a bit so it had not happen... :(:facepalm:

I wrapped the thing in my hanky and never said a word to anyone.

What are your "oh shoot" moments? :)

I did this in first grade to the thumb adductor on my right hand. Wrapped int in a hanky and everything lol! They gave us exacto knives for arts and crafts, and I was cutting cardboard the wrong way when the knife just slid right through the cardboard and, shortly thereafter, a reasonably large chunk of flesh. I can still find the scar, and it's kind of funny to think that my hand used to be so small :)

My biggest two moments are:

1) Rolling with my friend Jay, and fighting an armbar too long and twisting in the wrong direction, leading to a fairly loud crunch... This has led to long term issues with my right elbow, which appear to be clearing up. Happened 2 years ago

2) Benching for the first time in forever and then, two days later, powering through an inlocate with swollen muscles. I ended up tearing part of subscapularis, which is still healing today. This was maybe 4-5 months ago I believe. A true bonehead move... I should have known better.

That second one alone has cost me a huge amount of strength, but it's slowly coming back.

• Upvote 2

Daniel Burnham

2) Benching for the first time in forever and then, two days later, powering through an inlocate with swollen muscles. I ended up tearing part of subscapularis, which is still healing today. This was maybe 4-5 months ago I believe. A true bonehead move... I should have known better.

The inlocate was awesome though...  Definitely not worth the injury however.

I was 15 years old at school, talking to a friend about an athletics meeting I was going to compete in (Long Jump). He didn't believe me, so I showed him a jump on the school's grass field. I broke my ankle and was out for months.  ^_^ Oh Shoot! So stupid! I'd been waiting all year to compete, and when this happened I was devastated. Felt like I'd missed the Olympics... I kinda deserved it for being so stupid I guess.

• Upvote 1

George Launchbury

Maybe don't read if you're squeamish...

Early twenties (maybe 18 yrs ago) I was engaging in an argument after having had rather too much to drink. I slammed my empty glass down onto the table, which shattered in my tightly gripping hand. Caught a glimpse of blood, and decided it would be best if I just held it tightly and hid it under the table. That would be a good plan. Just pretend it never happened...

Must have gone pretty pale or something, as there was quite some concern that we should see how bad it was. Lifted my hand back up, and uncovered to have a look. The person sat opposite me got sprayed with blood (had nicked an artery in my palm) and it all looked pretty bad. Cue ambulance.

Amongst other things I had severed the tendons and nerves from the last three fingers on my right hand. Narrowly escaped a transfusion, and required a couple of hours of surgery (they ping quite a way up inside your forearm if severed under tension) and months of rehab.

I still get that Oh Shoot feeling (and wish I could turn back the clock) every time I am unable to do something that requires feeling in those fingers.

Strangely, I don't drink that much any more. :)

• Upvote 4

Deins Drengers

I wish I could turn the time back like 10 years and start to train in gymnastics. I would be a master by now then, but im just a F1 PE1 guy, lol.

• Upvote 3

Kate Abernethy

Mine was doing too heavy dumbell shoulder presses ~10 years ago. My spotter didn't assist enough and I tore a muscle in my shoulder. Totally my fault, but as a result I increment my limits in tiny amounts.  Youthful invincibility has been replaced with sage sensibility  :idea:

Jon Douglas

Oh man, my 'oh shoot' moments have left me with a bunch of scars, but far fewer injuries than I deserve!

Heh, one small one jumps to mind. When living in Japan I was on the fourth floor of my apartment, and late for work one day was sprinting out and jumping down the stairs. This worked fine until I got to the ground floor, where I didn't realise the roof was about half a foot lower until I had already taken flight.

When my head stopped ringing at the bottom, discovered I'd scraped a couple inches square off my scalp which trickled blood for the next few hours. My hair has never grown back in that spot, my students teased me for having a bald patch at 24.

Many of my worst ones are related to the not-quite-so-stable female company I preferred until that past couple of years, which got me in trouble left and right. Man, that was fun in retrospect :)

• Upvote 2

Chris Hobbs

A few months before I turned 16 I was jumping on a trampoline at a friend's house with a few people - doing the double bounce thing to get extra air. All was going fine until I came down immediately after another person and there was no give left in the tramp. Snapped my right ankle and knew it was broken. However, I iced the thing for a bit, taped it up, and went dancing that night with my girlfriend.

The injury itself, and having a cast over summer was bad enough, but going into the Navy a couple years later MEPS didn't think anything of it - the docs at Great Lakes however did and booted my ass out for a "possible" bone chip in that ankle. As I had planned military all along I had not applied for any scholarships, which between wrestlng and grades would have been a sure thing. Talk about unforeseen repercussions.

- Chris

Joshua Naterman

The inlocate was awesome though...  Definitely not worth the injury however.

Hahaha :) If I had just waited for my muscles to recover from benching it wouldn't have mattered. I just didn't realize HOW much extra muscle volume there is due to the fluid buildup from inflammation... even though I understand how that works about as well as anyone... :facepalm:

The inlocate itself is no problem, but when combined with the Naterman Stupidity Factor... ouch :P

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

Hahaha :) If I had just waited for my muscles to recover from benching it wouldn't have mattered. I just didn't realize HOW much extra muscle volume there is due to the fluid buildup from inflammation... even though I understand how that works about as well as anyone... :facepalm:

The inlocate itself is no problem, but when combined with the Naterman Stupidity Factor... ouch :P

That's not the inlocate you caught on video, is it? Visual record?

Mikkel Ravn

Back in the winter of 2006 I was walking to the store at university campus with a couple of friends, when I spotted a frozen puddle. Couldn't resist the temptation to go for a bit of a skate in my (very slippery) shoes. Whack, lost balance and landed on the left elbow, a jolt of pain going through the left shoulder. When I stood back the arm was protruding at an odd angle, and wouldn't hang flush down along the body. Oh shoot, the stupidity!

Anyway, the shoulder was dislocated, and I had severed a tendon, so that in the following six months it would dislocate three additional times. Basically, an exagerated waving of that arm would dislocate it, which really sucked. Got surgery which involved a number of titanium pins, 3 months of absolute rest, 12 months of rehab, and an additional 3-4 years of training before it was as good as new. What a f...... bummer!

On the bright side, that injury is what got me into serious training and eventually BtGB, since I was petrified of ending up as a cripple. And here I am, working that broomstick doing dislocates. Five years ago that would literally have made me dislocate the shoulder, and four years ago, I couldn't have done it by a long shot. Happy to be here! :)

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

That's not the inlocate you caught on video, is it? Visual record?

No :) For me, at any rate, inlocates aren't hard at all, and feel good. The movement itself caused no issues.

My injury happened about a week afterwards.

Joshua Naterman

Ravn: Nice work! Very inspirational to others, like me, who have had long term injuries :)

Jon Douglas

No :) For me, at any rate, inlocates aren't hard at all, and feel good. The movement itself caused no issues.

My injury happened about a week afterwards.

They look like they feel good; I look forward to em.

Mikkel Ravn

Ravn: Nice work! Very inspirational to others, like me, who have had long term injuries :)

Joshua, it's been a long hard road back, but also very enjoyable and enlightening. Once you have experienced not being able to move the arm past horizontal, you appreciate every little notch of additional freedom gained. Slow and steady wins the race. The funny thing is that I've got pretty good shoulder mobility now, probably from having done tons of indian club work (which I really, really recommend for everybody), kettlebell snatches and clean'n'jerks, and of course BtGB. I'm able to open my shoulders almost fully in a handstand, and the left shoulder is only a wee bit tighter than the right in external rotation (because the surgeons tightened down the ruptured tendon, to stabilise the shoulder as much as possible).

The doctors told me to lay of the climbing, and that I would probably experience osteoarthritis. Yet I've never been better, I've been ice and alpine climbing on occasion, been working as an arborist (pro tree climber) to support myself and my family during university, and generally enjoying my regained mobility and strength.

One day I'll see my surgeon again, and thank him by showing him a straddle planche on my fingertips - That would be a happy end. :)

Eddie Stelling

This summer will be 2 years since my Oh Shoot moment. Tore my labrum and my rotator cuff in my left shoulder doing a human flag on the side of a squat rack. A friend asked if I could do it and said prove it! So I attempted it at the end of my workout already smoked. The top hand (left) slipped as I was lowering into it and I tried to catch myself by bending my elbow and then locking it back out.....RIIIPPPP! 2 surgeries later 12 months of rehab and my shoulder is doing great! Lesson that I learned, NEVER show off for anyone!!!!!!! Go with your gut, if you find yourself saying watch this or hold my beer and watch this....stop what you are about to do and re-evaluate!!!!! LOL!

• Upvote 2

Keilani Gutierrez

just totally remembered how I once grabbed my handlebars with the index finger flexed, I landed, gripping my handlebars like that and hearing a SNAP sound when I landed....

yeah...not for the faint of heart. 

Joshua Naterman

Joshua, it's been a long hard road back, but also very enjoyable and enlightening. Once you have experienced not being able to move the arm past horizontal, you appreciate every little notch of additional freedom gained. Slow and steady wins the race. The funny thing is that I've got pretty good shoulder mobility now, probably from having done tons of indian club work (which I really, really recommend for everybody), kettlebell snatches and clean'n'jerks, and of course BtGB. I'm able to open my shoulders almost fully in a handstand, and the left shoulder is only a wee bit tighter than the right in external rotation (because the surgeons tightened down the ruptured tendon, to stabilise the shoulder as much as possible).

The doctors told me to lay of the climbing, and that I would probably experience osteoarthritis. Yet I've never been better, I've been ice and alpine climbing on occasion, been working as an arborist (pro tree climber) to support myself and my family during university, and generally enjoying my regained mobility and strength.

One day I'll see my surgeon again, and thank him by showing him a straddle planche on my fingertips - That would be a happy end. :)

Nice man! You will definitely be one of my examples for what a progressive return to activity can accomplish, once I am practicing :)

For some reason, a lot of physicians typically don't seem to remember how progressive exercise leads to quite a lot of regenerative adaptations in soft tissues, and even in the cartilage, when performed patiently and correctly, even after pretty severe surgeries.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

Nice man! You will definitely be one of my examples for what a progressive return to activity can accomplish, once I am practicing :)

For some reason, a lot of physicians typically don't seem to remember how progressive exercise leads to quite a lot of regenerative adaptations in soft tissues, and even in the cartilage, when performed patiently and correctly, even after pretty severe surgeries.

this is exactly what I'm trying to get my dad to understand. he thinks "I'm doing way too much exercise" when he doesn't even know how SIMPLE these elements are beginning from week 1 and how they gradually ramp up to create crazy amounts of strength. 

then again, stuff like this is just being pumped out into the mainstream, so we can't expect everyone to be in the know of GST when they've never trained like a gymnast and to add to that, trained like a gymnast under GB standards. 

• Upvote 1

I was wrestling with my cousin in my room when we were 15 years old.. I had socks on so sliding on the floor was no problem. He pushed me across the room, I was sliding while trying to resist his charge I had one leg planted behind me. My bed was at the end of the room and he pushed me right on it.

The thing was that the shin on the leg I had posted behind me went underneath the bed and the rest of me plus my cousin went on top of it... Resulting in a dislocated knee, my patella was basically on the otherside of my knee-joint.. It hurt.

Joshua Naterman

this is exactly what I'm trying to get my dad to understand. he thinks "I'm doing way too much exercise" when he doesn't even know how SIMPLE these elements are beginning from week 1 and how they gradually ramp up to create crazy amounts of strength. 

then again, stuff like this is just being pumped out into the mainstream, so we can't expect everyone to be in the know of GST when they've never trained like a gymnast and to add to that, trained like a gymnast under GB standards. 

Just wait 5-10 years. You'll see a big change when there's a whole crew of us busting out planches, FL, boss rope climbs, and 5 years after that when we've got some ridiculous ring strength, starting as adults with no gymnastic background, you might even see Coach Sommer in Men's Health. Lord knows he'd deserve it.

• Upvote 5

My biggest oh shoot moment was almost 2 years ago in my high school freshman summer where I biked and tried clearing a ledge with my  that I had been able to clear before, but I made a huge mistake of  not pulling my front wheel high enough and ended up ALMOST going head first into concrete. Thankfully my arms went forward and took the impact except my right arm had absorbed it from a bad angle and I ended up with a ligament strain, and ended up going to the doctor after I strained it the second time at school during gym. It wasn't too bad and the doctor said all I needed was rest and a little rehab which I did. However even this year in my junior year I've had instances where I partially dislocated my shoulder. However strangely after doing volleyball and working on external/internal rotation practically everyday I have never partially dislocated it ever again, not even in the most explosive throwing movement which was the only scenario where it would dislocate. In the end I'm glad it healed up for the most part, and I'm going to always make sure to be more careful from now on.

Keilani Gutierrez

Ridaz!

let's forget about the time I fractured my coccyx on a bike rack doing a pegless grind across one.

lamest. butt hurt. ever.

• Upvote 1