Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My list of nutrition questions

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Hi, I had a lot of questions about nutrition so i thought I would post them all into 1 post.

(Please don't hate on me)

1. How long is the anabolic window after the workout ? ( Ive picked up info - 60 min / 4-6hrs / about 36hrs)

2. Should creatine be taken pre and post workout ? ( Ive heard that only post workout but some say you need both )

3. If I eat 20 min pre workout an apple, orange, banana and avocado and then 5 min pre take my BCAA will it be enough ?

( Joshua Naterman's post didnt mention about bananas and avocados as pre workout food but why ? they are rich in potassium and avocado is a good source of fat ) 

4. is Coffee good as a supplement ? (I read that it increases estrogen and estrogen needs to be avoided )

5. When I take my BCAA + creatine after the workout do I need some high GI sugar so the creatine wont go to waste ? ( And what kind of sugars would be the best )

6. Should I eat something before going to bed? ( Like cottage cheese for example )

7. Why is nutrition SO complicated that there are like 1000 opinions out there in the internet/magazines/TV etc. ?

I hope You are not mad at me guys but I hope that answering these questions will help some members too.

Joshua Naterman

Hi, I had a lot of questions about nutrition so i thought I would post them all into 1 post.

(Please don't hate on me)

1. How long is the anabolic window after the workout ? ( Ive picked up info - 60 min / 4-6hrs / about 36hrs)

2. Should creatine be taken pre and post workout ? ( Ive heard that only post workout but some say you need both )

3. If I eat 20 min pre workout an apple, orange, banana and avocado and then 5 min pre take my BCAA will it be enough ?

( Joshua Naterman's post didnt mention about bananas and avocados as pre workout food but why ? they are rich in potassium and avocado is a good source of fat ) 

4. is Coffee good as a supplement ? (I read that it increases estrogen and estrogen needs to be avoided )

5. When I take my BCAA + creatine after the workout do I need some high GI sugar so the creatine wont go to waste ? ( And what kind of sugars would be the best )

6. Should I eat something before going to bed? ( Like cottage cheese for example )

7. Why is nutrition SO complicated that there are like 1000 opinions out there in the internet/magazines/TV etc. ?

I hope You are not mad at me guys but I hope that answering these questions will help some members too.

1) depends on how hard you worked. There is no single answer to this, hence all the confusion. If you're always eating well, it doesn't matter because you're always covering your bases.

2) Doesn't really matter, but if you do pre AND post you need to take half of the dose before, and half after. Don't double up, 5g per day is more than you need to stay topped off.

3) Whatever makes you feel good. You can probably just have it all together.

4) Coffee is fine. So is tea.

5) The high GI carbs do increase absorption of creatine, but they primarily spike insulin and prevent excessive muscle damage when taken immediately PWO.

6) Yes.

7) Because every single person is slightly different, and not everyone fits into a nice little box. Every activity has different energy requirements, and causes different stresses to the body, which means that you have a unique ideal starting point for a nutrition strategy for each activity.

Of course, again, if you just eat correctly (whole foods, lots of veggies, carbs + veggies + protein + fats at every meal) you don't have to worry about too much.

Edit: Daniel makes a very good point in the next post regarding #7... There's a lot we don't know, and as research advances we have to revise our view on things at least once or twice a year... every few months sometimes.

Daniel Burnham

First of all let me start by answering your last question.  Nutrition is not that complicated.  90% of it is just avoiding heavily processed foods and sugary goods.  You do that and you are pretty well off.  This by itself will start to regulate cravings and make you feel better.  You will quickly find that if you eat only whole foods you are mainly going to be eating vegetables and meat.

Now Ill answer some of your individual questions

1. The "anabolic window" is defined in a couple of different ways.  The body reacts to a workout for several days in several stages including insulin sensitivity and increased protein synthesis.  Takeaway: get in the protein you need after a workout and continue to feed your body throughout the day.

2. Like Josh said it doesn't matter. 

3.  Thats probably fine.  Its dependent on how long you workout.  If you are getting hungry and sluggish in the middle, you probably need more food.

4. Coffee is good just don't overdo the caffeine.  Personally Im a fan of yerba mate tea and green tea before practices.  I don't drink caffeine any other time.

5.  Like Josh said the bigger purpose is to spike insulin.  I recommend taking whey post workout.  It makes me feel a lot better than BCAA.  Secondary is to refuel the carbs and prevent the body from breaking down muscle or other protein sources.

6. Depends.  I have to eat before bed or I wake up hungry.  I also workout late in the day.  If you workout in the morning and get enough food it isn't as necessary.  Also some people don't sleep as well on a full stomach.  If you do then go ahead.  

Now Ill revisit the 7th.  Honestly no one knows everything about nutrition.  There are a lot of factors that people haven't figured out.  Just eat healthily.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

I can find probably half a dozen stating that it healthy. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok if I don't drink it constantly. I rotate all foods including teas.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.