Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training in everyday life

Karri Kytömaa

Karri Kytömaa

What strength/mobility related are you doing in your everyday life?

I mean something simple like having your grocery back and holding it in different shoulder angles and such.

Good stretches you can incorporate to sitting, watching TV or somewhere else?

One I like to do is when traveling with bus, I stand with my feet together and grab a bar with straight arm(s) and try to hold to the position with the bus accelerating, turning, whatever. Point is to try to balance with your feet as little as possible and tighten the core. Can get some pretty intense shoulder training done.

David Birchall

False grip the bars on the bus to hold me steady lol.  Loads of mad little things.

I walk and sometimes twist my foot in onto my ankles to build strength in that position so that if I ever fall and twist it, I'll be prepared.

first knuckle finger stretch when sitting on the computer.

When I open doors, I do so with one hand and straight arm and perform a wrist push up to open it.  This one is especially useful because not only am I training my wrists but after you have been to the toilet and washed your hands, you can avoid touching the door with your fingers after people have been touching it after not having washed their hands.  

GST used for hygiene purposes lol.

• Upvote 3

Goran  Sutic

False grip in public transportation FTW :)

I'll hold the squat or stay on my toes while waiting for the elevator, when I lift easier stuff i try to keep my legs straight so I get a light stretch and simple stuff like that 

Guest SuperBru

• When I'm on the bus I don't hold onto anything to increase my balance and core strength

I open doors with 1 finger to improve finger strength.

I practice doing a split whilst watching tv

I do random FX L-sits when transitioning from tv to bathroom. 

• Upvote 1

Philip Chubb

I like to go up the stairs using only my big toe to strengthen them for climbing.

I tend to wait for buses in a squat position.

Jon Douglas

Hmmm.

- Lift my weight off my feet with one or two fingers on trains, holding onto the bar

- Eye stretches when I'm at a red light

- Deep heel stretch off the back of an escalator

- All sorts of stretches when working at the computer, but working from home this is easy for me

Those spring to mind, but martial arts have long since crept into my life in a million little ways I don't notice until someone points it out

Joshua Slocum

On a more serious note, every time I go to the bathroom, I do 2-3 mobility exercises. Every time I get up from my desk I do some wrist stretches (I work at a computer). 

• Upvote 1

Samuli Jyrkinen

Wrist stretches and toe strengthening during lectures(no matter how interesting, you usually get bored at some point lol). Opening the doors with 1 finger or toes(at home only :D )

Keilani Gutierrez

I usually just hit the corner of the walls (they're made of cement) with the knife of my hands and sometimes knuckle bump the wall. sometimes sit in squat at the beach looking at the waves, wrist novel movements at my desk, first knuckle stretches. nothing extravagant. 

Peter Sbirakos

Madness, I tell you!  Madness!  There's more to life than training every day  :P

As a youngster, say 8 or 9 years old, I became aware that I was pigeon toed and I was determined even from that age to fix my feet so to speak.  Walking to school took around 20mins everyday and I made every effort to walk with straight feet.  It worked!

But in terms of training in everyday life, I find I don't think about it all that much.  Training occurs automatically because its been a part of my life pretty much all of my life.

Great post Flameous!

Tyler Phillips

I make a point, anytime I go up stairs, to walk up two at a time at a smooth and controlled pace. It literally feels weird to walk up on step at a time as result, I've been doing it for so long. If my legs were long enough that it didn't look awkward I would've started 3 a long time ago.

Karri Kytömaa

I also always walked two steps at a time, until I noticed that it's actually more taxing for some muscles and aerobically to walk one at a time. So now I try to switch between them.

every time I go to the bathroom, I do 2-3 mobility exercises.

Haha, I like that. I had a period where use to do elevated 30 sec PL Leans with my feet on the toilet stool everytime I went to the bathroom. Every now and then I used to do wallhandstans as well. Just be sure to wash your hands!

Sometimes I do seated leglifts in my office chair. Reach forward with your hands as much as you can on the desk and lift the legs underneath the desk.

Karl Kallio

I put computer on the floor, by squirming around I do all sorts of core work and stretching, not to mention the deck squat to get there. 

btw after a few weeks of F1 I could manage the big bottles of water up the spiral stairs to my apartment, and the heavy bags of construction sand...yay 

Rikke Olsen

In Japan there's a lot of walking bridges over big roads, and as I often go by bike (those huge intersection often prohibit bikes), climb the stairs, not dragging my bike next to me as it's designed, but carry it overhead, trying to simulate a HS B)

Christian Nogueira

My exercise vice is literally flying up stairs. I can't simply go upstairs, I run up stairs in quick jumps going over 3, 4 or 5 steps at a time. Gets me some weird looks from time to time.

Open/push doors with one finger.

Novel wrist movements and stretches at school.

Single bar/ledge support whenever possible.

Squat when I can, without looking too strange ;)

Stretch whenever possible.

Find the most efficient way to move from one place to the other, however it has to be flowy.

Just trying to have fun moving.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I get really hard missions when I always happen to place my body in disadvantegous leaverages in various situations so you

could say it I train every day.