Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I want the muscle up

Connor Davies

Parkerson Seward

the only thing you need are the foundation courses. Coach said that no muscle up work will be necessary until the RC foundation is mastered , the risk are

-do bad/not correct skills/progression;

-got an injury;

-got and injury doing bad skills/progression.

F1-F4? For some reason I thought I remembered a mod saying that the muscle up was in the RC progressions

I'm not going to have access to parallel bars for a few weeks, but I figured I could train the movement on the floor until then.  Just to clarify:

I start with a 90 degree angle at my elbow, with my shoulders stacked directly over them.  Then I move my shoulders forwards until they are over my hands, staying level, until I'm in the down position of a basic pushup.  Then I do a pushup.  Reverse.  Right? 

Only thing I'm worried about is rocking back and forth with my feet on the ground.  Would I be losing too much of the benefits if I just raised and lowered my elbows without moving back and forth?

Those are called tiger push-ups and they are supposed to rock back and forth due to the nature of this exercise. They work some of the transition strength of a MU and helps to build strength for Russian dips. You can also use tiger bend HeSPUs as a step above Russian dips.

If triceps tendon are a limiting factor for you in MUs then you can also work up to being able to due sphinx push-ups with full elbow flexion at the bottom as they mimic the stress of a MU on the triceps tendon and elbows. They're like tiger push-ups, but instead of rocking back and forth, you push directly to the top when your forearms are on the floor.

Resting your wrist on the rings in the false grip makes the muscle-up much easier. It shortens the ROM and gives you a lever advantage to push off of. So doing a muscle-up without a false grip is much harder. You'll need a quick pullup to get into the transition which is why some may kip a muscle-up that isn't done with a false grip. Some people are able to pullup fast enough to shift their wrists on top of rings or a bar and then push out of the dip.

No false grip MUs can also be done with a slow pull-up or pause before the transition. It's just that you would need a lot more strength to do it.