Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SLS

Guest SuperBru

Guest SuperBru

Okay, so I've heard that a SLS is supporting 87% of your BW. So maybe I can squat close to my bodyweight? What will be the determining factors? 

Tyler Gibson

I have found next to no carryover to barbell squat personally, as the motor pattern is quite different. In SLS you use you're non-working leg as a counterbalance in front, while in  a powerlifting style squat you use the weight as a counterbalance that allows you to sit back into the squat. I would say unless your barbell squat is very poor, you will not improve it much by doing SLS.

• Upvote 1

Philip Chubb

I have found more carryover in the opposite direction. My wife wasn't able to fully do a single leg squat. I had her switch to weighted squats for a while. She later demonstrated a single leg squat while having a conversation with me without even ending her sentence.

I do feel like split squats have more carry over (when done correctly) to squats than SLS which don't have as much carry over. Still a good skill to learn.

• Upvote 2

Lucas Serur

If you practice SLS only, when you perform a Back Squat, your weakest link will very likely be a component of the posterior chain (e.g. lower back, hamstrings).

Tyler Gibson

I agree with Alex. I have experienced some carryover from deep back squats to pistols, but not the other way around. On a lower body day I like to back squat or deadlift at the beginning, and then perform SLS as an assistance exercise. 

Christian Nogueira

In my very limited experience Back Squats have much more carryover to SLS than the reverse. 

Also, I wouldn't bother doing "equivalences" between exercises. I think people overestimate the carryover effect when comparing exercises . You'll be able to squat 64kg when you've placed 64 kg on your back and squatted. That always takes care of the doubts :).

Guest SuperBru

Thanks all for your help:) You see the reason I was curious about this was because I came across this forum:

http://www.askscooby.com/bulking-up-and-gaining-muscle/pistol-squat-carryover-to-bb-squat-calisthenics-work/

I also came across this video of Omega Blaze:

He squat 365LB on his first attempt. Bear in mind that he does bodyweight training only. He does SLS for legs but no BB squat or deadlift.

Jon Douglas

Thanks all for your help:) You see the reason I was curious about this was because I came across this forum:

http://www.askscooby.com/bulking-up-and-gaining-muscle/pistol-squat-carryover-to-bb-squat-calisthenics-work/

I also came across this video of Omega Blaze:

He squat 365LB on his first attempt. Bear in mind that he does bodyweight training only. He does SLS for legs but no BB squat or deadlift.

Leaving aside any question about the video's validity, I totally wish my parents had had the foresight to name me something like that.

• Upvote 2

Guest SuperBru

Holy crap I just came across a video of Ross Enamait deadlifting up to 500LBs! Thats 226kg! He only trains primarily with bodyweight exercises. I know this isn't the squat but come on guys there must be a reason why these guys can lift such heavy weights. Heres the video:

Redwan Haque

Ross trains a lot with heavy sandbags, massive tires, t-handle kettlebells and also does isometric deadlift pulls (don't know what else to call them) on this thing:

All of which, I imagine, would have carryover to a deadlift.

As for 'bodyweight' work - SLS wouldn't have much carryover to deadlift at all, though GHRs would. 

Guest SuperBru

Ross trains a lot with heavy sandbags, massive tires, t-handle kettlebells and also does isometric deadlift pulls (don't know what else to call them) on this thing:

All of which, I imagine, would have carryover to a deadlift.

As for 'bodyweight' work - SLS wouldn't have much carryover to deadlift at all, though GHRs would. 

That makes sense. I guess Theres only one way of finding out for myself. I will attempt a 64kg BB squat and see if I can do that.

Guest SuperBru

Hi all again,

I just attempted a 64kg BB squat. I didn't have any weights around so my mom just climbed on my back:) She weighs roughly 64kg. Guess what was the result? Success, which proves that SLS do increase your BB squat. My previous best was 55kg. I believe this is due to the balance required to perform a single leg squat. I a'm actually now confident that a SLS is indeed the equivalent of a BW BB squat.

Daniel Burnham

There is some correlation especially in front squat. The thing you have to remember is that loading is quite different. Sls is more quad while barbell seems to work the entire chain. I could pretty much always do a sls and believe this was because of my relatively high back squat 2x bodyweight. I don't lift anymore and my sls has gone up to where I do them holding 45 pounds. I think I could do much more. However my back squat has actually gone down. I now struggle with 285 when I try back (once every couple months) but front squat is around 225.

Guest SuperBru

There is some correlation especially in front squat. The thing you have to remember is that loading is quite different. Sls is more quad while barbell seems to work the entire chain. I could pretty much always do a sls and believe this was because of my relatively high back squat 2x bodyweight. I don't lift anymore and my sls has gone up to where I do them holding 45 pounds. I think I could do much more. However my back squat has actually gone down. I now struggle with 285 when I try back (once every couple months) but front squat is around 225.

Interesting. Have you ever heard of an advanced SLS? Same as the SLS however you place your hands behind your back. I'm currently unable to do them. This seems to be closer to the positioning of a back squat as your hands aren't placed in front of you.

Daniel Burnham

I just tried it without weight. It's a little more difficult maybe but not really hard. I didn't do it weighted though. That would probably make a difference. I feel like it would be more balance and ankle flexibility than anything.

I should mention I have good ankle flexibility which is something that keeps a lot of people from being able to do sls.

Daniel Burnham

I've done that too. It's not fun balance is weird and I wouldn't do it unless you are rock solid on sls.

Jon Douglas

I've done that too. It's not fun balance is weird and I wouldn't do it unless you are rock solid on sls.

Maybe I'll play with that sometime, usually when I see it there's a big lean forward to counterbalance with the weight so I'm not 100% sure how productive it is, other than gross weight moved. Not a priority, just a curiosity.

Guest SuperBru

I just tried it without weight. It's a little more difficult maybe but not really hard. I didn't do it weighted though. That would probably make a difference. I feel like it would be more balance and ankle flexibility than anything.

I should mention I have good ankle flexibility which is something that keeps a lot of people from being able to do sls.

You seem very proficient at SLS:) I'm sure weighted advanced SLS will have some sort of carryover to back squat.