My goal for Gymnastic Strength Training™ is to have the necessary strength to do all crossfit WODs as prescribed. I am just now starting to do crossfit WODs regularly, because I am trying to get ready for Infantry Officer School in June and I am attending a Crossfit Level 1 certification in mid-February. I eventually wish to be able to utilize the more difficult fundamental bodyweight exercises that Coach Sommer’s has in his book (which I have bought, one of the best books on fitness around, right up there with Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength), but as of now, developing the work capacity required for intense crossfit benchmark WODs is my primary goal. Thus I need a way to train gymnastics strength in minimal time and without causing much fatigue. My idea is to just do Static Strength Training with a couple bodyweight exercise additions. The exercises would be the following:
-Back Lever progressions which would aid in my ability to do a straight leg front lever, planche progressions, curl variations and all other pulling variations.
-Front Lever progressions which would improve pull-ups (and muscle-ups because of the pull-up portion of it), L-sit holds (and hanging leg lifts based on their connection), Front Lever Rows, and Curls.
-Planche progressions which would improve Ring Dips, high-rep Push-ups, Straddle Planche Push-ups, the dip portion of Muscle-ups, and somewhat handstands and handstand push-ups
-Single Leg Squat progressions which would improve Back and Front Squat loads, strength for Olympic lifts, high-rep pistols and Air Squats for WODs
-Handstand Push-up progressions to work up to handstand push-ups for WODs
The Back Lever seems to be the most important because it would help with the Front Lever and Planche progressions, but I think it would be beneficial to work all 3 holds at once. I believe Core Static holds (L-sit, Straddle L, and Manna) could be minimized because the other three holds should improve them somewhat. Single Leg Squat progressions will need to be worked on their own, possibly in grease the groove fashion. Finally, Handstand Push-up progressions would need to be worked on their own as well because all of the other holds would only aid in handstands, not develop my balance to hold a freestanding handstand (which I am unable to do as of now).
My plan is to do crossfit WODs 3 days on, 1 day off, scaling them down so I have the ability to do them. I also chose just 6 benchmark WODs which I will cycle through. I chose them because they are short and I have the equipment available to do them. The WODs are Fran, Claudia, Jackie, Helen, Karen, and Lucy.
I am assuming that training with the Static Holds (simple) method under the Program Design chapter, on page 171 in Coach Sommer’s book, would be the easiest way to do this. Today I used the method to train Tuck Back Levers and did 8 sets of 8 sec holds which took only 7:30 minutes. My question is how do incorporate the Back Lever, Front Lever, Planche, Single Leg Squat, and Handstand Push-up progressions without overtraining.
My diet has been pretty good as of late, since I am adhering to the Zone. The only other activity I have is the old fashioned and antiquated Army PT Mon-Wed-Fri (push-ups, sit-ups, and run) which I must go to and participate in. Other than that I am going to start ruck marching soon 1-2 days per week. I know I am trying to a lot, but please give ideas on how to incorporate all of this into a program, or tell me if you think this is too ambitious. I appreciate anyone and everyone’s input.