Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice request: moving beyond basic ITEC massage training

George Launchbury

George Launchbury

Hi All,

Been thinking a lot recently about getting back to an earlier 'career' in massage therapy, but properly this time. Partly to better understand sorting out my own issues, but also because we're putting in a treatment room (my wife is a full-time therapist, mostly Craniosacral Therapy, and used to run a successful clinic in West London before we had kids and moved out to the country).

A number of years ago I completed a course to gain an ITEC diploma in Massage, Anatomy & Physiology, which I happily passed with distinction. I worked for a summer simply doing what I had learned on the course, and from getting treatments myself. I also stayed on to help with running the courses. Did pretty well, had plenty of repeat clients, but was tempted back to web development by the higher income/less effort.

My wife thinks it's a great idea, and thinks I give equally good/better treatments than most she has paid for in the past. She would also like to be able to refer her clients to someone she would trust to give a decent treatment when necessary.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a path for moving forwards?

I'm thinking ART, myofascial release and related approaches, but that might require specific foundational education/experience to get the most from? I'd love to go and do a doctorate in physical therapy, but that's just not realistic right now. With my own issues I am very interested in tissue quality, mobility and movement patterns.

I have a full-time job and two young kids, so available time and money would be a consideration. However the reverse is also true - I have a full-time job, so I don't need to be earning anything from treatments any time soon.

Thanks,

George.

PS: There is a possibility that this might figure into part of my retirement plan. I need to spend quite a few years gaining enough knowledge and experience in a subject that I will be able to teach when I'm old and grey. The teaching part is in hand as (modesty aside) I am a good natural teacher, and have taught many things over the years, I just need to decide what subject fits best. This is a good candidate as my wife currently teaches in the field.

Scott Malin

George, 

I highly recommend looking into Dr. Ross Turchaninov at www.scienceofmassage.com. Medical Massage as done under the Russian standards provides phenomenal results while being direct, efficient, and actively inclusive of the patient in the process. Dr. Ross in particular has compiled a great deal of research from the last 150 years of massage around the world. It's also a good combination of money (far better than relaxation/therapeutic massage) and making a drastic difference for the client. I use it now in my own practice and with Coach's athletes in combination with Russian Sport Massage. 

• Upvote 3

Joshua Naterman

George, 

I highly recommend looking into Dr. Ross Turchaninov at www.scienceofmassage.com. Medical Massage as done under the Russian standards provides phenomenal results while being direct, efficient, and actively inclusive of the patient in the process. Dr. Ross in particular has compiled a great deal of research from the last 150 years of massage around the world. It's also a good combination of money (far better than relaxation/therapeutic massage) and making a drastic difference for the client. I use it now in my own practice and with Coach's athletes in combination with Russian Sport Massage. 

I got the first volume at Cory's advice and it is seriously fantastic.

George Launchbury

Thanks Josh,

I wonder if I could ask you guys another quick question - What is it about Medical Massage, as presented by Dr Turchaninov, that sets it apart? Is it more about his methodology of applying 'standard' massage techniques? ...I can see that being very useful for me, as opposed to learning 'new' techniques (to me, like fascial release) which I would probably get more benefit from hands-on tuition?

- - - - - - - - - -

I was already (and still am) reading Advanced Remedial Massage by Mel Cash, which is very interesting. Again I feel that to properly understand new techniques I would need to attend some workshops. It's a follow up to his popular (in the UK anyway) Sports Massage book from fifteen or so years ago(?).

It includes chapters on:
- Massage (in general)
- Neuromuscular Techniques (Trigger & reflex points)
- Muscle Energy Technique (Post Isometric Relaxation, Reciprocal Inhibition)
- Soft Tissue Release (UK name for ART, I think)
- Positional Release Technique (Finding position of 'ease' to apply other techniques)
- Myofascial Techniques

My wife has also sat me down and given me a reality check, and convinced me that the first stage of this is just to get some hours in doing relaxation massage to get a feel for how different people feel, etc. (and get my confidence back) and brush up on my A&P, etc. :)

Thanks again to both of you for the advice.

Cheers,

George.