While doing Kettlebell swings this last Sunday I managed to strain my lower back. A stupid combination of it being 0630, me being completely fatigued, having really tight hip-flexors, just finished getting onto the kids since mom was still sleeping, and deciding I could handle one more set. First rep of that set went wonky and I strained my back.
I could hardly move the rest of that day w/o major spasms - no nerve damage as I didn't feel any pain elsewhere in my body, and it didn't hurt to the touch anywhere - simply couldn't move my back without the spasms locking me up. At this point I am back to almost full ROM, spasms went away after that first day (although I didn't push ROM to find out if they would come back) ... I expect tomorrow will have me 100% in that regard. I plan to take another two weeks off from working out however for full recovery of the area to happen.
Is there anything specific I should be careful of while heading back into the WODs in a few weeks?
Is there any good (p)re-hab I should do to make sure that A) this doesn't happen again and B) my body can handle the gymnastic exercises that stress that area? I am specifically concerned about my tight hip-flexors and am interested in what I can do to help that area.
Thanks for any insight.
- Chris