Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Replacing Grains

Joel Tomkins

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) I do believe that most people would be better off removing them than not (...)

You would be wrong in this belief: most people in the world would be better off with more calories from grains (or other sources) on a daily basis. :)

• Upvote 1

Joel Tomkins

I haven't had a single person remove gluten grains and not show increase in health markers.

What health markers are you referring to specifically Alex?

Philip Chubb

You would be wrong in this belief: most people in the world would be better off with more calories from grains (or other sources) on a daily basis. :)

What health markers are you referring to specifically Alex?

Fred, really? Yes we all know some people are starving and should take every calorie they should get. If you have the choice, you'll be better ff with meat and vegetables with some carbs that don't cause health issues. Better food > not as good food> starvation.

Joel, body fat, cortisol, inflammation, sleep quality, mental disorder symptoms. Some I can measure and some are anecdotal. But my job is to get results, not to study it so I do just that so I'll take it! I'm not in the "gluten is evil for everyone" dogma camp. But I still haven't found anyone to prove it's not yet. (Except Nic) apparently.

Joel Tomkins

Joel, body fat, cortisol, inflammation, sleep quality, mental disorder symptoms. Some I can measure and some are anecdotal. But my job is to get results, not to study it so I do just that so I'll take it! I'm not in the "gluten is evil for everyone" dogma camp. But I still haven't found anyone to prove it's not yet. (Except Nic) apparently.

Cool, just wanted to know what to keep an eye for my own results.

• Upvote 1

Klaudius Petrulis

I've heard about Quinoa and links to Leaky Gut.  Also I remember hearing that the saponins in Quinoa have a deleterious effect on your gut lining. Anyone know more?

Philip Chubb

I've heard about Quinoa and links to Leaky Gut.  Also I remember hearing that the saponins in Quinoa have a deleterious effect on your gut lining. Anyone know more?

I believe quinoa has some anti nutrients and should be soaked as well. My wife and her family are from one of the countries that exports it here. They say it's important to soak it before eating it.

Joshua Naterman

Depends on the grains.

According to the best estimates we've got, something like 70% of the world's population would be better off without gluten-containing grains.

Switching to rice can make a big difference.

• Upvote 1

Nic Branson

Alex, I have allergy issues. I am also in the small percentage of people who will wake up during surgery. I freaked them out when that happened. I can't do rice all that often, my metabolism does not fit with most people. I've never had a client who would get results eating the way I do to the degree I do.

Philip Chubb

Nic, I hope you don't have to go through many surgeries in your life. I thought my resistance to anestitcs was bad. That sounds even more painful. I figure with billions of people out there, at least one has to be totally contrary to what is "normal". Haha.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

Depends on the grains.

According to the best estimates we've got, something like 70% of the world's population would be better off without gluten-containing grains.

Switching to rice can make a big difference.

That is a surprising claim, or maybe it is the way it is said? I did not think that 70% of the world population had access to gluten on a regular basis.

Have you got sources for this Joshua?

Joshua Naterman

These are the figures I am familiar with, based on known genetic variations. You have to understand that these are guesses.

There are a whole lot of people who have never eaten gluten, and you can bet pretty good money that they are better off without it since they don't have the long-term adaptation to the protein.

You're on your own for finding the source, I came across this several times while reading a literature review on pubmed and articles across the web that referenced the review.

Gravy: Yes, rice is a grain. Grains aren't a problem, the gluten that many grains contain is potentially a problem (of varying magnitude, usually not super serious at least in the short term) for an estimated large portion of the world's population. Since rice doesn't contain gluten, you're pretty safe with rice.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

Ah, okay, I understand.

It seems like you are looking at it from the angle of what proportion of humans have the enzymes necessary to process gluten optimally whereas I am starting from "what proportion of the human population has a regular access to gluten?".

I was looking for sources on this second aspect.

To push the reasoning, yours would be to decide what food to give humans based on what they can easily digest, mine from what crops can be grown in this or that area... We'd eventually have to meet at some point, yet might disagree all the way :)

It is always interesting and sometimes confusing to have these discussions with people from vastly different backgrounds and experiences :)

Philip Chubb

I'm actually surprised the number is so low. I've yet to meet someone who can handle gluten in real life. I'm betting eventually they'll start trying to isolate tr enzyme that breaks it down similar to how you can take lactase pills. Optimally though, I think most people are going to be better off removing the gluten. There's better sources out there.

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) I've yet to meet someone who can handle gluten in real life (...)

You've never visited France, have you? :facepalm:

Philip Chubb

There's a difference between not getting a tummy ache after eating gluten and it being closer to optimal. The second one is what I'm looking at. They can apparently digest starches better, but that doesn't mean gluten.

I'm beginning to feel like I have a personal devils advocate.

• Upvote 1

Rikke Olsen

I usually avoid gluten to be on the safe side, but I have yet to find prove that it does me bad.

I'm probably just not at all in tune with my body, and thus don't recognize its effects. Also, the symptoms are so many, and they are shared between so many foods and other conditions that I have trouble trusting if I may feel something negative.

How do you all know?

Joel Tomkins

I usually avoid gluten to be on the safe side, but I have yet to find prove that it does me bad.

I'm probably just not at all in tune with my body, and thus don't recognize its effects. Also, the symptoms are so many, and they are shared between so many foods and other conditions that I have trouble trusting if I may feel something negative.

How do you all know?

Over the last few days I've managed to almost cut out gluten completely. I'm sure there was probably some in a couple of snacks I had but nothing that was mainly grains. I haven't noticed much difference yet Bissen but I imagine nothing would change too fast!

I have probably lost a little of my daily carbs but I'll slowly get them back up with suitable sources. My milk consumption however is probably causing me similar, if not worse, side effects than gluten ever was - but I'm not ready to give up milk yet. I have an independent dairy less than 50km from home and they produce the most delicious, minimally pasteurised, unhomogenised Guernsey milk (on second thought, being mainly A2 milk proteins, Guernsey milk may be a little easier on me).

There is always the other possibility that we are one of the lucky ones who is fairly tolerant to gluten and lactose!

Rikke Olsen

Back in Denmark, I was completely off gluten. Maybe there was slight cross contamination in the buckwheat and rice I had, but I never had anything I knew contained gluten. I lived like that for months.

Here in Japan, avoiding gluten is almost as hard as avoiding breathing, and I eat out with others to be social, though I steer away from gluten when I can.

I haven't really felt any difference from when I was off gluten to now. I don't know...

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.