Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Replacing Grains

Joel Tomkins

Joel Tomkins

For years I've concentrated on eating wholemeal and wholegrain products rather than the more refined white flour products, thinking that I was eating healthily. However now I am finding that while wholegrains have probably been healthier for me than refined grains, I may be best off avoiding grains as a whole (based on negative effects of gluten, lecithin, anti-nutrients and increased blood sugar levels. Am I right?).

Grains have always been a large part of my diet and so now that I'm looking at replacing them altogether I am at a bit of a loss as to what I should eat instead. Potato's around workouts is one thing but the rest of the time they are too high GI-wise. Sweet potato could make up one meal but how about the others? Is rice (gluten free, but still relatively high GI) a good choice? 

What is everyone else who is avoiding grains getting their carbs from?

By the way, is it just me or is there no option to sort forum search results by relevancy or best match? Whenever I search I just get the  most recent threads that include the keyword I searched for. If this topic has been covered years ago, it would be pages and pages below in the search results. I find it much easier to find relevant results by doing a google search of the topic and adding 'gymnastic bodies' on the end.

Daniel Burnham

Rice is a good substitute as are some types of squash and potatoes. If you are worried about GI just eat some vegetables with every meal. This will slow things down.

• Upvote 1

Nic Branson

Good answers above. Make sure you're choosing to give up grains for the right reasons not because the Internet told you to. Do your homework and make the choice you feel is correct. My wife's grandfather just passed away last week at not quite 93 and a diabetic (hereditary problem). He never ate anything green period. Good hearty Polish diet. No other major health issues. Not saying it was good or bad, just saying.

I can make statistics say damn near anything I want, you get good at this with research and a well done study will always examine its own flaws. Don't get caught up in the argument for all one way or the other. You have a brain and you listen to your body, make an educated choice and then see how you feel. For some giving up grains works and they feel better, for some it is just gluten. Still other find not having grains makes no difference or actually has more negative impact.

• Upvote 5

Joel Tomkins

Rice is a good substitute as are some types of squash and potatoes. If you are worried about GI just eat some vegetables with every meal. This will slow things down.

Of course I very rarely eat any one food in isolation. 2 cups of vegetables with every meal is my goal. Add some form of protein and the combined GI should be reasonable I suppose.

Don't get caught up in the argument for all one way or the other. You have a brain and you listen to your body, make an educated choice and then see how you feel. For some giving up grains works and they feel better, for some it is just gluten. Still other find not having grains makes no difference or actually has more negative impact.

Even if I wanted to I don't have the discipline nor obsessiveness to avoid grains 100%. My plan is to avoid them where there is other alternatives that are still simple and convenient. Nothing is set in concrete of course, if it doesn't work for me don't think I'd stick it out for long. Like I've seen Josh say before, some of us have never felt what it's like to really feel great when our bodies are given exactly what they need. As far as I know, I feel great, but unless I try to improve the little things I'll never know if I'm experiencing my body at it's full potential.

Joel Tomkins

Good answers above. Make sure you're choosing to give up grains for the right reasons not because the Internet told you to. Do your homework and make the choice you feel is correct. My wife's grandfather just passed away last week at not quite 93 and a diabetic (hereditary problem). He never ate anything green period. Good hearty Polish diet. No other major health issues. Not saying it was good or bad, just saying.

Sorry for your loss. It's amazing when people can defy the odds and live long lives even though they do everything we are told not to. Just goes to show that you can try to control everything but it's not all in our hands.

Rikke Olsen

I hope it's okay if I use this thread for a slight hi-jack.

I'm currently in Japan, and is fortunate enough to have made some friends who wants to send me rice - though white.

In Japan, you can get bags of rice germ, as they use it for making pickled vegetables - thus I believe it would be safe to eat, pesticide or whatever-wise.

My question is, could one get a bag of the rice germ (what's polished off the rice, resulting in the well-known white rice) and just sprinkle it on top of the white rice to increase nutrition and lower its GI? I mean, free rice on a tight budget is more than welcome for me, and if I could just add the germ and get the benefits from brown rice; I'm just "worried" about the phytates and stuff?

David Birchall

PALEOREXIA

That's what I had (I made that up - it's actually a form of orthorexia).  A full blown eating disorder caused by thinking I couldn't ever eat junk again because I was Paleo.

Symptoms:

being a real ass when ordering at a restaurant

thinking you are better than other people because your diet is superior

constant obsession with junk food

trying to make paleo junk food items to satisfy the obsession but it is just not the same so you end up bingeing

spending too much money on food you tell your self you enjoy

Lying to yourself that calories don't count and ending up getting fatter

avoidance of carbohydrate taken to an extreme level

obsessively reading Marks Daily Apple & other internet forums multiple times a day

fatigue

poor athletic performance

avoidance of cardio

claiming to be coeliac when you aren't or have no indication of this

becoming even more strict when you don't get results

claiming to be lactose-intolerant when you aren't or have no indication of this

telling people what they should and shouldn't eat

man I was a real asshole with that last one seriously it was like I was a religious preacher.

• Upvote 9

Rikke Olsen

PALEOREXIA

That's what I had (I made that up - it's actually a form of orthorexia).  A full blown eating disorder caused by thinking I couldn't ever eat junk again because I was Paleo.

Symptoms:

trying to make paleo junk food items to satisfy the obsession but it is just not the same so you end up bingeing

obsessively reading Marks Daily Apple & other internet forums multiple times a day

fatigue

avoidance of cardio

man I was a real asshole with that last one seriously it was like I was a religious preacher.

Nodding! Bravo! Applause!

Been there, done that. Not worth it. I've eaten plenty of wheat lately (in Japan - try avoiding it!), and haven't noticed feeling worse or better. In fact, my stress levels may have gone down since not worrying about it. Though I like to stay away from it when I can, since reading about the negative effects it seems to cause.

Quinoa is an option. I use this all the time as a carbohydrate alternative to grains. It looks like a grain, but it's a seed. The nutritional profile is actually really good; complex carbohydrates, amino acids, fibre. Super easy to cook (boil it similar to rice) & you can keep it refrigerated making it convenient to take with you on the run.

When you make it; mix it with some fresh herbs like oregano & basil & throw in some garlic & red onions. Tasty. Completely free of gluten & wheat if you're concerned & really, sometimes it's just a nice substitute to having potatoes all the time.

To save you the embarrassing negotiations I had to go through trying to locate this, it's pronounced as 'keen wah'. Although I notice you live in QLD, so you should be able to pick it up at Woolworth's in their health food isle. This is where I get mine from. 

• Upvote 1

Rachid Tahri

The principle of balance applies to all things in life, not only in handstands  :). Nutrition is not an exception. Wise words gentlemen. 

• Upvote 1

George Launchbury

I can make statistics say damn near anything I want, you get good at this with research and a well done study will always examine its own flaws.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain (and others)

:)

• Upvote 2

Rikke Olsen

FIN, if you're referring to me, I don't really know if soaking rice germ can be done successfully :)

Michael Flores

Quinoa is an option. I use this all the time as a carbohydrate alternative to grains. It looks like a grain, but it's a seed. The nutritional profile is actually really good; complex carbohydrates, amino acids, fibre. Super easy to cook (boil it similar to rice) & you can keep it refrigerated making it convenient to take with you on the run.

When you make it; mix it with some fresh herbs like oregano & basil & throw in some garlic & red onions. Tasty. Completely free of gluten & wheat if you're concerned & really, sometimes it's just a nice substitute to having potatoes all the time.

To save you the embarrassing negotiations I had to go through trying to locate this, it's pronounced as 'keen wah'. Although I notice you live in QLD, so you should be able to pick it up at Woolworth's in their health food isle. This is where I get mine from. 

^^ This.  Lentils and black beans are great for you too. Low GI and full of carbs protein and other goodness.  You can get some good cheap bulk Quinoa on amazon if you start eating a lot of it.

• Upvote 1

Larry Roseman

FIN, if you're referring to me, I don't really know if soaking rice germ can be done successfully :)

Sorry, meant to the OP regarding anti-nutrients if that's his reason for dumping grains.

It's better to soak whole rice product and cook it in lots of water and then drain it to reduce the 

not uncommon arsenic content. Some is apparently ok and may have benefits like most other

anti-nutrients though.

See: http://www.healio.com/hematology-oncology/news/print/hematology-oncology/%7B130E1D7D-EBD2-48B3-9546-158A630FA71B%7D/Arsenic-medicinal-double-edged-sword

Philip Chubb

I'm still an ass when it comes to "paleo". I don't like to call it paleo cause it can sound dogmatic, but the base still stands there. There's nothing wrong with being an ass and treating your body like an Olympian.

For replacing grains, I tend to use rice, quinoa, and sweet potato starch. I advice this for all my students. I haven't had a single person remove gluten grains and not show increase in health markers.

• Upvote 3

Joel Tomkins

I just learnt that pronounciation last night from My Kitchen Rules funnily enough! I'm going to check out Coles for Buclwheat and Quinoa today as there's one right next to work. I'll see what their range is like. Thanks!

Joel Tomkins

Read the recent thread and links I posted in the removing anti-nutrient topic.

Will do!

PALEOREXIA

Symptoms:

fatigue

avoidance of cardio

Reading those symptoms, only "reading forums multiple times a day" applies to me. I tend not to preach to anyone about nutrition unless asked as people seem to get so uncomfortable hearing what they already know is true. When people see me eating junk food they often say "I thought you were on a health kick?" in a patronising way. What they don't realise is that I'm not trying to eat healthily for a week or even a month, it's a life-long effort. In general I'm going to try to avoid the things I know are bad for me, if I want to eat junk food I will. As I've said before though I really don't have the self discipline to say no anyway!

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

David Birchall

Will do!

Reading those symptoms, only "reading forums multiple times a day" applies to me. I tend not to preach to anyone about nutrition unless asked as people seem to get so uncomfortable hearing what they already know is true. When people see me eating junk food they often say "I thought you were on a health kick?" in a patronising way. What they don't realise is that I'm not trying to eat healthily for a week or even a month, it's a life-long effort. In general I'm going to try to avoid the things I know are bad for me, if I want to eat junk food I will. As I've said before though I really don't have the self discipline to say no anyway!

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Sorry if that post seemed like it was aimed at you lol it wasn't.

I have the same mentality you describe surrounding diet and health now.  Haha all of those symptoms were definitely me at a point in time though!

I hate that too.  People have this black and white thinking around eating healthy and dieting.  My mum consistently calls me a hypocrite when she sees me eating crap now and then... Even after I explained to her.

IMO the people who patronise you for the way you eat do so out of an unhappiness with themselves, their own lifestyle choices and an unwillingness to change them.  When they see you eating junk food on occasion it really rubs it in for them.  I feel sorry for these people.  There are a lot of them it seems.

• Upvote 2

Rikke Olsen

No worries, FIN! ;)

Sure, soaking the whole grain (with germ) would be better, but I get the white rice for free, and would like to add the germ seperately - if it's worth it.

Larry Roseman

No worries, FIN! ;)

Sure, soaking the whole grain (with germ) would be better, but I get the white rice for free, and would like to add the germ seperately - if it's worth it.

Hi, what I mean to say is it's good to soak the bran/germ as well, if possible. 

Rikke Olsen

Hi, what I mean to say is it's good to soak the bran/germ as well, if possible. 

Yokay! I'll try it. Thanks!

Nic Branson

I'm still an ass when it comes to "paleo". I don't like to call it paleo cause it can sound dogmatic, but the base still stands there. There's nothing wrong with being an ass and treating your body like an Olympian.

For replacing grains, I tend to use rice, quinoa, and sweet potato starch. I advice this for all my students. I haven't had a single person remove gluten grains and not show increase in health markers.

I hear this a lot, yet it happens. I am one of those people who had problems after removing gluten grains. They are really a non-issue for me. For many people simply cutting down if they can manage to stay down works. Do what works for you, in the end that is all that matters.

Philip Chubb

I hear this a lot, yet it happens. I am one of those people who had problems after removing gluten grains. They are really a non-issue for me. For many people simply cutting down if they can manage to stay down works. Do what works for you, in the end that is all that matters.

I am sure it does. The same way vegans sometimes achieve very high levels of strength. But I am saying I (me personally) have never had someone like that. And I do believe that most people would be better off removing them than not. In fact, you're the only person I have heard of otherwise and I will have to take your word for it, but that is still one out of a number I have lost count. If it works for you though, more power to you. There's probably something to research there for sure.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.