Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hungry arms?

Karl Kallio

Karl Kallio

So, I'm hoping that someone will get on here and call me a hypochondriac.  Because otherwise it means more diet changes and more kitchen work.

I have been getting a feeling this last week of "hungry arms".  As in specifically my biceps and anterior deltoids are aching and almost burning in a way to me that seems like they are hungry.  It's not lack of stretching, nor dehydration, nor DOMS and it's still happening even though I decreased my workload from the 5-day schedule to the 3-day, and am repeating week 5 PE1 instead of advancing.  It seems to get better after a big plate of scrambled eggs or a bowl of tuna-pasta, but returns within 12 hours even if I don't do much of anything.

Is it possible to feel hunger like that...in a specific body part?

PS about 6 months ago I changed my diet to avoid most junk food, about 2 months ago I started reducing the amount of bread, although that's not happening every day.  I live in a place with supply problems so my diet varies according to availability, but I would call it reasonably balanced in that it contains milk, protein, fruit, vegetables every day, but not in ideal proportions and I tend to err on the side of too small or too infrequent meals.

Larry Roseman

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Have you tried peanut butter - directly on the affected area?

Seriously, your mind may be telling you it wants more food, by projecting the need

upon the area of your body you depend upon most for gymnastics anyway.

Doesn't mean you need it but you may. It could be a trick. 

• Upvote 3

Hayden Whealing

They may want more work.

Don't know what to tell you on this.

You know the new thread you've created is really bizarre when Joshua "Slizzardman" Naterman can only come up with two sentences in his first post.

• Upvote 7

Larry Roseman

The next time they are hungry, take them aside into a quiet room with soft lighting.

Ask each bicep separately "what's bothering you?" , "why are you hungry?" , "how can I help?".

I know this sounds crazy but there's a method to this.

Let the answers that you feel bubble to the surface.  Give them voice. It may seem like

putting words in their "mouths" but you will know the difference.

Listen without judging. It may take a few sessions alone with them before they

feel safe enough with you to speak freely.

This "body talk" can work but you must be patient.

I had a a "male dysfunction" issue a while back and it worked wonders!

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) I had a a "male dysfunction" issue a while back and it worked wonders!

Really? Talking to your biceps helps with that? B)

(I have to try... ) :ph34r:

:D

Larry Roseman

Really? Talking to your biceps helps with that? B)

(I have to try... ) :ph34r:

:D

You too?? Sorry to hear  :D  Yes have an honest talk,  mano-el-poquito-mano sometime! 

Karl Kallio

update:  It was lack of minerals I think, it has been +/- 35ºC here for about two weeks, and I work in an outdoor pool.  The constant slow sweating drained me, and the water didn't put back the salt/potassium.  A  day later the same thing happened to my legs, and then the muscle cramps started.  Lots of fruit juice, milk and soup has been consumed, a little more salt has been added to food, a calcium pill was taken (blech)

PS Bipocni, FutureisNow....guys...I'm a girl if I get stretch marks on my biceps or have to give motivational talks to my fictional man-parts I am going to cry.

• Upvote 8

George Launchbury

PS Bipocni, FutureisNow....guys...I'm a girl if I get stretch marks on my biceps or have to give motivational talks to my fictional man-parts I am going to cry.

:)

Joshua Slocum

update:  It was lack of minerals I think, it has been +/- 35ºC here for about two weeks, and I work in an outdoor pool.  The constant slow sweating drained me, and the water didn't put back the salt/potassium.  A  day later the same thing happened to my legs, and then the muscle cramps started.  Lots of fruit juice, milk and soup has been consumed, a little more salt has been added to food, a calcium pill was taken (blech)

You may want to consider sipping a hydration drink (e.g. gatorade or the like) while working and while exercising, to make sure you don't run low on electrolytes again. 

Karl Kallio

You may want to consider sipping a hydration drink (e.g. gatorade or the like)....

I try and keep those as a last resort, but you're right sometimes they need to be used.  Since Gatorade has to be imported and the local imitation comes in glass bottles (great for barefoot areas) we've come up with an alternative: 2 packets oral rehydration salt 2 tablets fizzy vitamin C 1 big bottle of water.  The thing is that if you're rate of sweating is below the evaporation rate and you're adjusted to feeling hot all the time you can sweat a lot before you notice.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good work on figuring out the mineral issue :) Cramps are generally the final indicator that you just need more salt. Potassium usually isn't an issue unless you have certain kidney issues like hyperaldosteronism, but those rehydration salt tablets are excellent.

Salt + water is always better than plain water, as long as you use the proper ratio.

Larry Roseman

Glad you figured it out too!  Like that "fictional man parts" line.

There are men who that could apply to as well.

Now don't look at me  ^_^ Just saying!

Karl Kallio

Found another "gatorade" drink that seems to work well: Citrus juice to taste (lime, lemon, orange, mandarin or whatever)  sugar to balance the acidity, a little salt and a little bicarb.  It tastes good with lime, sort of like fruity dog pee with mandarins, but both ways it seems to work and you can usually find the stuff to make it in the kitchen without special preparation

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.