Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnast diet?

doofus93

Hey guys i was wondering if i would to train like a gymnast (im working on rings), what type of diet should i employ? E.g add muscle mass, reduce weight etc. (Doesn't have to be either of those, maybe sth else or a combination). Oh right and should i keep my cardio low? I'm 6'1 and 170 pounds. Thanks :) 

Rachid Tahri

There are so many resources out there regarding nutrition, but the most important thing is that you 'clean up' your diet by having enough nutrient dense foods (for example vegetables!). Like many things in life there is no "one size fits all advice", so you should make a serious effort to learn about nutrition (proteins/carbs/fats and off course the micro's and vitamins), you don't have to become an expert but at one point you do have to APPLY!

Over the years of tweaking my own nutrition I was also giving people (more concrete) advice regarding this topic, but people get all scientific about stuff and forget to actually apply things. They end up eating fast food everyday....while saying that they have not figured out the 'perfect' diet. So I would say: start out by cleaning up and go step by step. It takes time to know what works for you!

About the cardio. I recommend walking/taking stairs etc. 

• Upvote 1

Rachid is right. It's important you take steady steps to ensure that whatever changes you make are ones that are going to be sustainable. Initial changes can be made by looking at what you eat on a daily basis & tweaking this based on removing processed foods & replacing them with more nourishing, recovery supportive options. 

For pre, during & post-training nutrition, read Josh's post that is linked above. This is extremely valuable & super detailed, it well help a lot.

Outside of this training window, keep it simple & don't over complicate things. Stick with fresh produce like lean meat (chicken, beef, fish, eggs) as a protein source & green vegetables (broccoli, spinach, bok choy, beans) for providing various phytonutrients & complex carbohydrates & things like avocado, extra virgin olive & coconut oil for essential fats. Addressing these three macronutrients properly will help to provide you with a balanced food plan.

As a guide, you would want to be looking at having a balanced meal every three hours or so. In respect to portion sizes, just experiment with these & adjust them based on your energy & performance levels. The nice thing about Josh's recommendations is that it takes a lot of stress out of having to eat so much during the rest of the day. If you follow what he says around training this will make a HUGE difference to your recovery, & you'll be surprised at how little food you have to consume outside of this zone. 

Another plus about eating 'clean' or healthy is that you CAN do this economically because essentially you'll be saving money by not eating out & wasting things you buy but don't eat. It may require a little more time & preparation but anything worth doing follows this trend. Furthermore, by following this style of eating the body will have a hard time storing body fat because you'll be providing the correct types of energy at the correct times (around training) & simply eating in what you could think of as maintenance mode outside of this.

Good luck!

Andrew Long

I have too much on my plate at the moment ( plate of life). So I have stopped over thinking things all I do is eat a lot in the hours after training and make sure I get lots of protein during the day as well and I am getting bigger while losing weight. Stopped calculating everything just eating vegetables and meat and occasionally chocolate if I am hungry and need an easy snack. Really transforming though probably due to the large consumption of good foods and high protein especially around te work out. Now I'd be interested in how much I am taking in every day though but i don't want to start countinin again ought now

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

Once you get into gear with the counting, your body goes into automated mode and will tell you right away when it needs food. That's why you will get hungry every few hours, at rest, and why you will eat more automatically after you do a lot of physical work than you will after a few hours of studying.

Joshua Naterman

Get all colors of vegetables at least once a week, if possible. The wider your color variety, the wider your nutrient exposure, and this is generally better for your health. Greens are incredibly important, but make sure to check with your doctors (and, if you are on medication, with a Registered Dietician) to make sure that you are not causing problems with any medications or medical conditions before adding in a bunch of "new" chemicals into your diet.

Joel Tomkins

Totally agree with ausswe. I'm sure you know what is good for you and what isn't. Just go for it. There really is only a few major factors to consider when creating a diet. If you want to gain mass you need to eat more than your body uses for general maintenance and eat less if you are trying to lose weight. Getting the right balance of carbs, protein and fats is the next step. After that everything else is really just fine tuning. As things get more complex and take more time to learn they tend to have less effect on the changes you see.

Joel Tomkins

I like to record my calorie and macro nutrient intake for a day here and there to make sure I'm on the right track, but the rest of the time I like to challenge myself and keep a rough idea in my head of where I'm at. Without plugging everything I eat into myfitnesspal and making my decisions based on a total figure I train myself to eat better without thinking about it too much.

Quick Start Test Smith

If you're looking for a book, I recommend Alan Aragon's "Girth Control." He's a lot like Joshua, and the book is very straight forward.

• Upvote 1

If you're looking for a book, I recommend Alan Aragon's "Girth Control." He's a lot like Joshua, and the book is very straight forward.

I always thought girth referred to the circumference of a cow. Now I know better.

Quick Start Test Smith

I always thought girth referred to the circumference of a cow. Now I know better.

Really? LOL 

Really? LOL 

Correction. I assume better. I assume the Girth Control book isn't about cows.

Quick Start Test Smith

Correction. I assume better. I assume the Girth Control book isn't about cows.

It's not. :D

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.