This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

King of the Forum

Started by Cory Fair, March 21, 2013 · 85 Replies · 316 Views

Nic Branson

Wall handstand should be good for just about everyone, easy to objectify as Cory said also.

Cole Dano

I like the wall HS, due to the fact that it's also something that is currently released as an element of a course.

Cory Fair

Should we give them only a week to submit or a full month to try to train for it? My preference is the first.

Nic Branson

HS Wall run could be good also for an event at some point.

For something like this I would say 1 week.

We could also use one week a month for submissions and then at the end announce the next month's contest so people could train extra for it before the next submission period if we want to go that way.

Or we just surprise them each time and give them one week to show what they have.

Cory Fair
Nic Branson said:

Or we just surprise them each time and give them one week to show what they have.

 

The surprise is one of the main elements of this. They have to be prepared at any time to defend the title or knock off the King.

Cory Fair

I shrank the box a bit with the intent to have it float above the main forum listing on the index page. It could be reduced more in height, but the smallest text will start to become difficult to read. Also added a crown. Input?

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/page/leaderboard

Cole Dano

If you mean a week from the time the contest is announced, until it is closed. A week feels a bit short to me. Not in terms of training time, but time to generate interest and content.

 

It may be some of the 'contenders' don't check in every day. They might need a couple of days to get a video together, or they might just have a particularly busy week. I don't think you'd start to get a good 'flood' of videos until late in the week.

 

A month is certainly too long, what about 2 weeks?

Cory Fair

You're right, two weeks seems more reasonable.

Cory Fair

I'd like to get this going over the next couple days. Final nominations for the first challenge are below. Vote for one. :)

A ) Max hold time wall-hs

We did have someone make a thread with video of a long hold recently, so I want to make sure it's not a gimme for this person.

B ) Max sets of 5 reps Russsian L-Sit Dips

Technique must be acceptable to count. I prefer an easily quantifiable measurement as opposed to "best form" but either is fine.

C ) Max time Hollow Hold Flutter Kicks with Overhead Dowel.

My personal favorite. I made Dillon do a variation of this for ten minutes continuously prior to his pool work a few times. It would be fun to have him be the guest challenger by doing a video of it and daring the forums to do better.

If there's a tie, Coach's wife gets final vote.

Cole Dano

I'm liking the flutter kicks, due to the relation with F1's HBH series.

Nic Branson

Ugh flutter kick...this brings back memories from the Navy...

I vote to start with the Flutter and then maybe the HS later after it is going a bit.

Would want a side / 45degree view for these. None of the arch back crap losing hollow

Coach Sommer

All good suggestions, however in conversation tonight with Cory, I think that perhaps our most fun initial contest would be a one arm wall handstand contest for duration.   :icon_twisted:

 

- Must be within 6-8" of the wall (measured from the base of the heel of the palm with a ruler set next to the participant).

 

- Body position is optional.

 

- Shoulders must be relatively extended with locked, straight elbows.

 

- Supporting shoulder must remain directly over the supporting hand.

 

- Timing begins when the proper postiion is achieved.

 

- Timing ends when the proper position is lost.

 

- Time is measured in seconds.

Nic Branson

Shorter and more quickly humbling :)

Cory Fair

Sounds like all we need is a formal announcement from Coach on the community forums to kick it off. :)

 

 

Any final tweaks to the leaderboard? I will put the box live on the forum index once the announcement has  been made.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/page/leaderboard

Nic Branson

Is that our actual size? and where will it be placed?

Itself it looks good

Cory Fair

Two options:

 

1) Above the main forum list on the index. The size matches that so it's the same width.

 

2) On the index sidebar. I would change it to instead have the "non-King" scores below the king's spot.

 

Either way, it's going to take up some space if we place it on the index page. 

Cole Dano

the Side Bar has enough there as is, I'd go for above.

 

I love the Royal Garbage Collector, can you bump the text size so it's the same as other third tier items, or will it run over?

Nic Branson

I like above. Gives it nice visibility also.

Coach Sommer

I like it, but would like to see a non-active example of what the proposed placement will look like on the actual page.

Cory Fair
Cole Dano said:

the Side Bar has enough there as is, I'd go for above.

 

I love the Royal Garbage Collector, can you bump the text size so it's the same as other third tier items, or will it run over?

 

It's intentionally tiny.  :razz:

 

Coach Sommer said:

I like it, but would like to see a non-active example of what the proposed placement will look like on the actual page.

Sure, I'll create that now.

Cory Fair

post-3819-0-34202700-1368116776_thumb.pn

 

It's fairly bulky, so I'm open to ideas on how to shrink it while maintaining the same width.

Nic Branson

Show the king and only the next 3-4 on the index and view the rest via clicking on it? Hmm

Coach Sommer

- Yes, I agree much too large.  It should supplement the page, not dominate the page.

 

- Let's try reducing the overall height by reducing the size of the "King's" portion and perhaps splitting the wannabes into two columns; queen, prince and princess in one and the rest in another next to them.

 

- Perhaps it could also be set up as a 'pop-out' that expands into full size when clicked?

Cole Dano

I had the same thought on reducing the size as the True King.

Cory Fair

How's this?

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/page/leaderboard

 

Mockup

 

post-3819-0-22280100-1368118602_thumb.pn