Shoulder strain

Started by Fluidity, March 16, 2013 · 1 Replies · 1,760 Views

Fluidity

I've always strained my shoulder when doing an extremely explosive movement of abducting my shoulder and externally rotating it far back. Basically its the thrower position that a baseball player does when he pitches which hurts to go into when I strain my shoulder in any activity that required a abducted/externally rotated shoulder wind up. I can externally rotate my shoulder right now if it isn't abducted, but when it is abducted and winded back through external rotation, I get a sharp pain. 

 

It seems that it is my posterior glenohumoral ligament that I may have strained, and the pain happens right where the ligament is as well. I remember my doctor telling me that it was this ligament way back when I had it checked. What could I do to restrengthen my posterior glenohumoral ligament, and gain back stability in the joint so I don't injure it again in extremely explosive throwing movements where I may wind back a little too much? Its only a strain, and I'm hoping to reshorten the ligament after it being pulled multiples.

 

RandomHavoc

I don't know nearly enough to be able to be able to answer your question, but I would recommend going through the free articles and blog of Eric Cressey. He's a sports coach that specialises in baseball player (so lots of throwing) and has written extensively on injuries and necessary mobility drill required to stay injury free in such a sport.

 

I hope that helps you on your journey.