Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hip Pain during straddle split - Suspicious of Hip Flexor

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

that is epic and somewhat freaky.

the other day, i started doing active straddle splits while laying supine and engaging PPT during my warm up along with prone reverse leg lifts. hip engagement win! 

do you do it max ROM? (push for new ROM or stay within existing ROM and maximize that 

also, do you do one set of multiples? or super set them? ('ve been doing sets of 10 on each)

glad you're doing great! 

Hey Keilani! 

10 seems to be the magic number for me as well. I group the raises by direction and just alternate legs until all sets of that direction are finished: front left, front right, front left, etc. before moving on to the next direction. I always do them in the order of front -> side -> back.

I do the first two sets to about 60% and 80% of what feels like my max ROM, and then on the third set I start to push it a bit, and on the fourth I will push it a bit more (as long as it feels ok). Sometimes I just do it to my comfort zone without pushing it hardly at all, which I think is very important because it's easy to overdo these kind of dynamic stretches. In fact, they're semi strength moves for me because I usually keep my legs straight while I do them and use very little little momentum in them except for the top of the movement where the momentum helps and at as it returns to the original position.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

i do them straight legged as well. what's helped me improve my hip extension with the backwards direction is laying prone and cementing my hips to the ground while doing the extension