A question for you anatomy/physiology wizes out there. I know that scapula function has been discussed to death, but here it goes anyways...!
I noticed in F1 that coach's athletes maintain FULL protraction throughout the entire ROM in all the horizontal pushing elements (something that has been kicking my butt as I progress along!). From an efficiency point of view, always maintaining such protraction seems so much more taxing.
In weightlifting, things are a little different such that the recommendation is to set your shoulder in its socket (retract) and create torque by externally rotating. Using these cues, you'll be quick to increase your bench press. This is how the 500lb+ lifters do it.
So what is so different about gymnastics pushing and bench pressing that requires such different approaches in regards to scapula positioning? I couldn't imagine a weightlifter bench pressing 500lb while maintaining full scapula protraction throughout the entire lift, so why would a gymnast hold protraction in a planche (or any other push) given that this would make the hold even harder? Surely there must be a good reason, so please enlighten me!
Thanks in advance