Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

walking on stones

Joseff Lea

I remember seeing a program a number of years ago on a treatment for the feet in japan or china I think. basically you walk along a path made up of lots of pebbles laid on their end. The presenter of the show couldnt walk on the stones without the aid of a rail to support himself but people who performed the therapy could without problem.

I believe it was meant to act as a massage for the feet and improve suppleness. does anyone know anything about this? Does it sound like a useful therapy (my feet are quite stiff, especially the arches)?

Daniel Shields

I've been doing this my whole life. I love going for long walks barefoot in the woods, especially along rocky creek beds. My feet seem to be in good shape. I expect the benefit stems largely from a mix between the pressure acting like SMR and the fact that the archs of your feet reflexively lift in response to sharp objects, keeping them supple. Of course, you also have much stronger feedback about your gait through the sensations in you feed, which has extensive benefits on its own. There is a good reason your feet are full of nerves.

Here is an excellent video from Kit Laughlin that talks about foot anatomy and shows an anti-pronation exercise:

Quick Start Test Smith

I used to have pretty flat feet, but after a year or so of doing fairly regular high rep calf and shin raises, my arches are now very pronounced and strong. I suggest it.

The video that Daniel posted is great as well. As usual, Kit's stuff is very effective.

cheers guys, that's all really helpful. I used to walk barefoot all the time but dont get as mich of a chance what with work and such. My arches are pretty deffined and I think the arches mostly need some SMR. I shall give the exercises shown by kit and barefoot walking a shot

Edit: Just had a go at walking on some cobbles outside my house, exactly what my foot needed, feels so much bette, so I'm going to go for a short walk along them everyday now, even though it is literally freezing outside. Also tried the exercises in kit's video and they're great! Thanks again for the advice guys :)

• Upvote 1

Craig Mallett

For those interested, here are a couple of cool articles about bare feet:

http://barefootprof.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/foot-anatomy-101-biofeedback.html

http://www.thepeacefulrunner.com/barefoot-running.html

some highlights:

With an estimated 100,000 - 200,000 exteroceptors in the sole of each foot, your feet are among the most nerve-rich parts of your body. This fact alone should demonstrate the importance of touch to walking and the benefit of going bare for walking properly. But why are there so many nerve endings in the feet? How do those sensitive soles aid walking?

In 1905 pictures were taken of habitually barefoot feet (below) and compared with pictures of habitually shoed feet. The toes on the barefoot feet were spread out creating a wider and more stable base. It was also possible to draw a straight line from the heel to the big toe indicating a perfect naturally aligned foot looking very similar to the foot of an infant. 

A typical walking shoe possesses a hard rubber outer sole and a soft cushioned insole. In addition, people generally wear socks with shoes. These materials lift your feet an inch or more from the ground and silence the biofeedback from exteroceptors. In shoes, the brain receives almost no useful information from the soles of the feet. This lack of sensory feedback is called neuropathy and is considered pathological and dangerous under any other circumstance than shoe-wearing. Because foot biofeedback has been unappreciated for so long, shoe-induced neuropathy has also been ignored by doctors for decades.

• Upvote 2

Wow Craig that's some really interesting reading. Makes sense when you really think about it. I've been taking short barefooted walks (only 10 minutes or so as it's so cold at the minute) and it's really making a difference. It's also appears to be having a positive effect on the condition on the tissue in my calves which is something I've been unable to improve for a good long while. Many thanks for the post :)

Hmm considered buying some of the five finger shoes but not entirely convinced that I'd wear them enough to justify the purchase. I might give those a go as they look like a nice halfway house between the two 

Craig Mallett

Hey thanks for that link, those soft star shoes are exactly what I need for the office!

just a quick update, Ive found that after a long day of standing in standing in shoes that a quick barefooted walk along cobbles really re-energises them and takes away much of the fatigue feeling.

Which ones did you get? Could you let me know what you think of them as I'm after a pair also?