Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just an introduction...

Jake P.

Hello, everyone. Just thought I'd finally introduce myself, since I'm feeling up for it, and so I won't feel awkward when I post again asking for help, as I'm sure I will. Any, I'm a 24 year-old, with a black belt in an Okinawan based martial art. I've been training in it for 5 years now. I've had a natural gift for everything done in those classes, so I've never had to train hard, like others. While that made my black belt a relatively easy goal, my body is extremely weak as a result, despite my large stature (220 lbs, 6'1"). So, I wanted something that I wouldn't be good at right away that would help me to develop some strength and explosiveness, as well as a higher level of whole-body coordination and balance.

Then I stumble upon one of Coach Sommer's articles and then his excellent website. There's not a single progression of any exercise that I've found on here that doesn't challenge me to my absolute limits within seconds, and it's great. I've found out my weak links extremely quickly (for me, that would be abs and back), and am working on developing those at a marginally higher pace. And those higher progressions to look forward to are a great help in keeping me on track, especially during winter up here in Alaska.

Naturally, as I'll never quit being a martial artist, and from all that I've seen and read, gymnastics will always complement my self-defense training, I doubt I'll ever stop doing relevant gymnastics skills and workouts. Especially since I highly prefer body-weight only exercises. So, my long-term goals are quite high. I'd like to do a full planche and front lever, among other high level (to me) skills. It'll be a tough road for my size, but I'll have great milestones along the way. Just getting to a tuck planche was a great achievement in my book.

What I'm looking forward to most is being able to hold a tucked L-sit for more than a fraction of a second. Guess I have a lot of work to do. Coach's book is on the way (hopefully), and that will help out as well. In the meantime, good training to you all, and I'll be reading and talking, and hopefully getting stronger. :D

Hey Jake. I used to train in Karate, an Uechi-ryu deriative from Okinawa like the origins of Shudokan; our shihan used to show a lot of gymnastics/BW strength.

We would do frogstand to headstand and press to handstand from either or L sit or V sit on cement blocks. Shihan was late 50's or early 60's and still could V high enough. I incorporated doing wall handstands because of that and we did have a rope to climb ( I totally forgot we did have a rope to climb till right now as I couldn't remember doing rope climbs before the tumbling class in college ). We did lots of L sit training with him.

As well, early on I marveled at Bruce Lee doing gymnastics strength or tumbling ( we all should remember this scene ) or Star Wars or other MA acrobatics.

George Launchbury

I read in an interview (with Yuen Biao I think) somewhere that it was a stunt double (Yuen Wah?) that did the somersault in that scene??

That's awesome, Blairbob! I didn't think many people knew Shudokan, but I guess I don't get around enough. Shudokan is the style I train in, actually. It's crazy what our Shihan can do, despite his many surgeries and his old age (I think he's 75). Glad to be here, and thanks for the welcome. =)

I googled Shudokan but I'm familiar with many of the sensei the founder trained under. Read about them. However, my old Okinawan style differed in the kata they used. Not a lot of the Naihanchi, Pinan, Bassai as in ever/never. I have some books on collections of Okinawan karate kata besides my old books. Uechi ryu is similar to Goju ryu and somewhat to Isshin ryu but I spent a bit of time in Shotokan as did my father.

Haha, that's funny. Well, shudokan is merely a well-used word. It means the cultivation of the way. Many different styles use it in their names. Our style IS shudokan, however, and we incorporate multiple different types of karate, including said isshin ryu and goju-ryu (I love their circular movements). And if you've trained in shotokan, we're very similar to that style. Often we're referred to as a "sister" style. If you don't mind my asking, what kata did you train often? Pinans are definitely our core kata before brown belt, but I know a lot of different kata, and it'd be cool to learn a little about a style I've never heard of that's similar to my own.

I was too young and didn't train long enough in Shotokan. My dad trained more in it before we stopped as his friend and son were training in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uechi-ry%C5%AB#Kata

I remember lots of Sanchin, Seichin, and Seisan. We did a few other ones through the ranks but those were the big three. I only remember bits and pieces of most of them that I couldn't but I still train in Sanchin occasionally. I trained in it when I was in high school for a few years. Goju uses Sanchin as well, Naha-te not Shuri or Shorin.

We did a lot of body training in Sanchin ( aka getting slapped, punched, and kicked in it ) besides other " hard " body training like makiwara, kicking dowels, holding jars, etc. Through it, I got to the ability of being to do one knuckle fist pushups, thumb pushups, fingertip pushups ( all kinds ). I could do index and thumb pushup on one hand but I don't remember if I could do it on just my thumb though I trained it. I still retain a lot of this. I never mastered tiger claw pushup either but could do crane beak, boshiken. We also practiced pistols often besides extended leg lift holds.

Um...wow. I think I need to make a style change. Seriously, though, that's impressive. Thumb pushups alone? Sounds hardcore, to me. Guess we're a little watered down for safety reasons. Not that the self-defense isn't there, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I train in a style Of Goju-ryu. Sanchin Kata is a killer finisher to a hard workout, all the tensing. I like Seinchin for its movement and find it somewhat relaxing and spiritual to do. Jake, what parts of Goju-ryu do you do/enjoy?

My personal favorite is Seipai. I like the quick transitions especially in that kata. I've seen Seinchin, and I'd agree with you, it's very nice and slow, relaxing. I'd like to eventually learn Super Empi, personally. Isn't that similar to Sanchin? Have you ever met Chinen-sensei? I learned a couple of goju kata from him. He's quite an inspiration for being that old. 8)