We will be doing a number of improvements to the navigation and interface for the web course. Please bear with us as we work to implement them.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
A Note on H1 Interface
Started by Cory Fair, March 6, 2013 · 50 Replies · 6,963 Views
Awesome information, i'm waiting for the improvements! ![]()
If we are having any issues with interface or useability or have an suggestions for future updates is there a central thread where we can voice this. Otherwise with all of the courses going top the online format I can see a lot of small threads and it seems a bit of a waste of good thinking.
Once the updates have been made I will create a central thread. The new interface will be much more akin to how the iPad Foundation course looks and navigates and should cause minimal (if any) usability problems.
If the online course would look similar to the ePub-Version on the iPad this would be a great improvement.
It would also be a great thing if the login to the courses would be possible with the forum username and password.
You can Change your password to the same as the forum in the My account area / edited my profile of H1 it's the bottom tab on the leftMarkus Klein said:If the online course would look similar to the ePub-Version on the iPad this would be a great improvement.
It would also be a great thing if the login to the courses would be possible with the forum username and password.
Hi Cory -
Many thanks for all your work! I just had a couple of suggestions as a fellow webmaster living in Sydney, so very sensible to the loading speed in Australia ;-)
1/ Some images in the H1 course are not web-optimized, having both a higher density and higher size than needed, and this slows the loading of the course very much for me. As an example: http://gymnasticbodies.com/courses/h1media/wriststretches.png represents 4.3mb to load just for this image :-s
2/ Would you consider using something like cloudflare? Even a free account would act like a global CDN for gymnasticbodies.com. Since you're hotlinking the image files in the course from gymnasticbodies.com, this should speed the loading time considerably. As an example in my case, they have a gateway here in Sydney, so I would essentially load all the static files directly from Sydney, provided there is minimal activity for the course from Australia :-)
3/ Not regarding the courses, but gymnasticbodies.com, I just thought I'd signal that n Chrome, the fonts and jquery you use are not loading since they are linked using http links and you run the site through https. Chrome by default blocks the loading of http content on an https page. I'm pasting below the errors I have. Normally, it's just a matter of changing the links to https :-)
Hope these are useful :-)
Best,
- Julien
Errors:
julien said:Hi Cory -
Many thanks for all your work! I just had a couple of suggestions as a fellow webmaster living in Sydney, so very sensible to the loading speed in Australia ;-)
1/ Some images in the H1 course are not web-optimized, having both a higher density and higher size than needed, and this slows the loading of the course very much for me. As an example: http://gymnasticbodies.com/courses/h1media/wriststretches.png represents 4.3mb to load just for this image :-s
2/ Would you consider using something like cloudflare? Even a free account would act like a global CDN for gymnasticbodies.com. Since you're hotlinking the image files in the course from gymnasticbodies.com, this should speed the loading time considerably. As an example in my case, they have a gateway here in Sydney, so I would essentially load all the static files directly from Sydney, provided there is minimal activity for the course from Australia :-)
Both are already in the works, just didn't make it for release. In an ideal world, everyone would simply move within 30 miles of the server like me. ![]()
julien said:3/ Not regarding the courses, but gymnasticbodies.com, I just thought I'd signal that n Chrome, the fonts and jquery you use are not loading since they are linked using http links and you run the site through https. Chrome by default blocks the loading of http content on an https page. I'm pasting below the errors I have. Normally, it's just a matter of changing the links to https :-)
Grrrr, I didn't even notice that one of the incremental updates did this. Thanks.
Cory Fair said:Both are already in the works, just didn't make it for release. In an ideal world, everyone would simply move within 30 miles of the server like me.
Actually, you could maybe just do both with 1 click using a $20/month Cloudflare account and these features: http://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-mirage-intelligent-image-loading
That said, I've never been able to really use it for my projects, as it messes up several of my scripts heavily using images. But you may just be able to use it :-)
I've not had great experiences with Cloudflare, but our hosting provider does thankfully have some solid options.
With Cloudflare, their CDN-like capabilities are honestly excellent and we get that for free. They have gateways in Asia-Pacific, which is still not that common, and most importantly very expensive with classic CDNs. My strategy with CF is always the same:
- I don't rely on them for anything optimization-wise
- but I enable the most basic level of caching
- then I enable progressively each of the optimization options, one by one, from the simpler to the more complex, and test at each step
I've only had 1 instance where the CF JS snippet, by simply being present with no options checked, resulted in a small bug. Otherwise, I ve always used caching worlwide and a few of the other options too :-) Just the caching is providing a huge boost performance-wise when the server itself is not located close by :-)
FYI.
In H1 the scroll bars on the side & bottom of the browser pages doesn't seem to be working.
I cannot grab and move them manually. I can use my mouse scroll wheel to move around though.
Looks good on my set up. Much further than 30 miles away. If I have online access, I really prefer this interface.
One thing, is the drop down menus could use a different hover colour.
I would really like it if each exercise could be its own page. That way you don't have to wait for 7 exercises worth of content to load before you get to see the one exercise you want to look at.
I realize this would take quite a bit of development, so I'm not expecting it any time soon, but it would also be a cool feature to have a "progress tracker" that lets you log workouts, mark exercises that you've mastered, and view your overall progress through the course.
Hari_Seldon said:I would really like it if each exercise could be its own page. That way you don't have to wait for 7 exercises worth of content to load before you get to see the one exercise you want to look at.
It will be soon, I have to finish Foundation One on the portal before I do any further H1 adjustments.
Hari_Seldon said:I realize this would take quite a bit of development, so I'm not expecting it any time soon, but it would also be a cool feature to have a "progress tracker" that lets you log workouts, mark exercises that you've mastered, and view your overall progress through the course.
This is essentially going to be what the third course update is about.
Cory Fair said:It will be soon, I have to finish Foundation One on the portal before I do any further H1 adjustments.
This is essential going to be what the third course update is about.
Excellent news! I'm glad you guys are putting so much effort into continually improving the new courses.
Is there any chance that this 'progress tracker' will be integrated with mastery evaluations, so we can keep our logs and videos all in one place?
Hari_Seldon said:Excellent news! I'm glad you guys are putting so much effort into continually improving the new courses.
You had doubts otherwise? ![]()
Hari_Seldon said:Is there any chance that this 'progress tracker' will be integrated with mastery evaluations, so we can keep our logs and videos all in one place?
Too soon to tell, we are in development still.
Cory Fair said:You had doubts otherwise?
No. But it's still pleasing when high expectations are met. ![]()
I noticed that the wrist stretches are now missing - there's a header for the stretches but the menu contains the various wrist pushup exercises. I'm sure you already noticed ![]()
Michaël van den Berg said:I noticed that the wrist stretches are now missing - there's a header for the stretches but the menu contains the various wrist pushup exercises. I'm sure you already noticed
Click directly on the nav header for now and it'll take you there. I'm still tidying up a couple things today on H1.
FWIW, I much prefer the new menu bar at the top over the old navigation tree. Many thanks! :-)
Just a note: the top looks cluttered with both F1 and H1 enabled. It might be nice/more usable if you could switch between "courses"
phrak said:Just a note: the top looks cluttered with both F1 and H1 enabled. It might be nice/more usable if you could switch between "courses"
Already a part of the upcoming changes. The adjustments today were not the major ones I spoke of in the first post. Once the new skin is complete, it will look and feel very similar to the iPad version in terms of navigation and layout.
Cory Fair said:We will be doing a number of improvements to the navigation and interface for the web course. Please bear with us as we work to implement them.
I just noticed the menu structure change this morning. Very nice change - it was a lot easier to navigate having the menus at the top of the page. Thanks for your hard work - you sure can tell you guys really care about what you're doing!!
jer505 said:I just noticed the menu structure change this morning. Very nice change - it was a lot easier to navigate having the menus at the top of the page. Thanks for your hard work - you sure can tell you guys really care about what you're doing!!
Just wait and see what we have coming!
To say that we care is very accurate: Coach and I both live and breathe gymnastics. It's our personal mode of training, the business, and Coach spends a great deal of time developing his athletes. I'm very fortunate to be able to support the athletes by providing their bodywork and stretching. When someone asks what I do for work, I simply say "everything gymnastics."