Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Discussing NutriTiming

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

Has anyone else been using Nutri-Timing? After using it for over a year, and I am very dissatisfied with the website system, the maintenance of the website, and communication channels. Since it is not a cheap service, I feel it is worth generating discussion about. Maybe someone from NutriTiming will happen to see it.

This will at least serve as a rant for me...  :mellow: (sorry in advance?)

1. The Website System

I think the system could be improved in many ways. First of all, there is no way to set up weekly templates. I'm sick of setting of the exact same daily plan over and over again. It is a tremendous waste of time. Why isn't there a simple system of having saving templates on your profile? WHY NOT? Sure, you can save a meal template but really, is that very useful compared to having a template of an entire day? Not at all. If you compare the time it takes to input a meal compared to a whole freakin' day they are incomparable.

Secondly, the exercise chart. What? 1-7 scale compared to the METS scale? The METS scales (1, 2) are much easier to use and much more accurate. Not only that, the time registering per hour is counter common sense! All you have the ability to do on NT is set the intensity (1-7) and select a time that you spent at that intensity. If, say, you worked at intensity of level 3 for 30 minutes, there is no indication of what intensity the other 30 minutes were spent at, and there is no way to set it. The Total Daily Energy Expenditure of IfItFitsYourMacros.com is a much better system, even though it also fails to use the  comprehensible METS system. You simply need a certain number minutes per day to assign a certain intensity level to. That's all! You should be able to group them easily and conveniently just as the IIFYM.com system does. I don't pay for IIFYM, but I pay $84 a year for NutriTiming.

I would kill just to be able to set up a weekly template. 

2. The Website Maintenance and Problems

If you log onto NutriTiming, turn your computer to sleep, then wake it and go the page to change something you are automatically logged out of the system. This requires you to re-log in over and over again throughout this day. One or two log ins is menial, but after doing it almost every single time you want to change something or input something I've almost been driven mad. This is unacceptable when every other decent website keeps you logged in unless you log out. It's out of date and inexcusable.

Secondly, what is the point of having a list of days as the default Overview screen? Listen, there should be a year-calendar system. You should be able to view the input for a single day of the day by going to Year -> Month -> Day -> View Info. Simple, direct, aesthetically more pleasing, and ever so highly superior to the former system.

3. Communication Channels

All they have is a "Contact" button. Which, coincidentally, doesn't work. Hasn't for at least 6 months, although I vaguely recall it not working as far as a 9 months to a year back. This is unacceptable. It is the sole means of communication with website staff and if we don't have it, we don't have anything. I would at least have a back up means of communicating with the staff, but even that is completely unnecessary. WHY NOT HAVE A FORUM? A forum to discuss nutrition, the freakin' subject of the website. A forum to discuss using the site and exchange tips for staying focused and losing/gaining weight. It's only common sense. Yet, at the moment it is impossible to talk with anyone from NT.

All in all, for the price of $84 a year, NutriTiming fails miserably. The staff can't be contacted, there haven't been updates in months, there are no forums, and the system is inefficient, ineffective, and time consuming.

If anyone here is associated with NutriTiming and can bring these issues up to them it would be great.

Thoughts?

*** Edit:

I will say that I am pleased with its custom food function. It's a good tool.

Patrick, makes sure you unsubscribe or there's a good chance you will be charged for another year. 

I think most people have found the website unwieldy to say the least. I signed up for what I thought was a month, only to find they were charging me every month, yet the site never mentioned this in the sign up process.

I used the product for maybe two weeks, but found it took so much time and very poorly reflected the amount of estimation involved in entering caloric amounts, that I threw my arms up in resignation.

I think it's a great concept in principle, if only someone could come up with proper execution.

• Upvote 2

Daniel Burnham

I've never used the website. I've used the app, but after a few weeks I knew and felt exactly what amounts of food I needed. I've gone back to using the app after adjusting training schedules mostly to see what my deficit is peri workout. I was recently off by about 500 calories and checked it again now I'm back on a good schedule. Do you find you need it all the time? For me it is just a guideline. There are a lot of errors like how it calculates activity and the calorie values it has for some foods. My body generally knows exactly when I need to eat. Haven't had much need to really watch it that closely. In fact I've had better results after not looking at it.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

I found the app terrible to use...

Used it for 2 days, got an idea of what it does, and stopped using it. :(

Next, I'll pay good money for a system where you only need to take a picture of your meal, and all the Kcal, etc... are accounted for in real time! :)

Joshua Naterman

Unfortunately, since GSU owns the program, and they are interested in building the football team, there is very little being put into other things. It's sad.

Nutritiming is for exactly what Daniel used it for.

You do have to unsubscribe, it's a pain that it isn't more clear about that.

Nutritiming also fails pretty hard when you get above 5-6 METs, in terms of counting calories expended (In my opinion, compared to raw math). That's the problem with a Likert scale vs an absolute scale.

Quick Start Test Smith

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one a bit disgruntled (great word, that!). ;)

Guys, I promise that as I advance through my computer science and programming classes that I will keep something like this in mind. I'll definitely let you know if I come up with something better than NT!

• 1 month later...
Joel Tomkins

Yeah, I  just spent $7 that could have been used better elsewhere. I assumed that if you entered a strength training activity, or any activity for that matter, that the caloric loss for the subsequent 12 hours or however long would be increased automatically. Instead the hour after you tear every muscle in your body is back to the default very light, barely awake expenditure setting.

Would also be awesome to select a range of hours and set them all to light or moderate activity levels for when I'm at work rather than having to individually change every hour from very light to something more appropriate for the average person's day - I don't think many of us are sitting around doing nothing for our waking hours. 

The whole thing is a lot simpler than I hoped for. Considering it's made by people at university level I would have expected more complex maths going on. I'll still get my month's use out of it though so no big loss. Would hate to have payed for 12 months upfront though!

Larry Roseman

Next, I'll pay good money for a system where you only need to take a picture of your meal, and all the Kcal, etc... are accounted for in real time! :)

That's called your appetite and common sense :D No computer required.

Daniel Burnham

I found the app terrible to use...

Used it for 2 days, got an idea of what it does, and stopped using it. :(

These things are possible and are coming :). All I can say.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.