Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm making Water Kefir!

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi guys!

This is the first time I've made water kefir, so I've done plenty of reading up on the subject. I have all the ingredients, I know the process well, and I'm about to get started on my first batch!

I have one question about the quality of the sugar, though, because I want to make sure my kefir grains are as healthy for themselves and myself as possible. My first questions were if organic/non-organic would make a non-negligible decrease/increase in the quality of kefir, and secondly, if using either white or brown sugar was superior to the other.

Cultures for Health says:

What types of sugar can I use to make water kefir?

Water kefir grains are fairly versatile.  While we do recommend using organic sugar if at all possible (reduces the amount of chemicals the kefir grains are exposed to), most sugars will work for making water kefir.  White sugar (aka Organic Evaporated Cane Crystals) makes a very mild kefir while sugars containing molasses (Rapadura, Sucanat, Turbinado, etc.) make a stronger tasting kefir.  If you are planning to flavor your kefir with fruit or juice, white sugar normally makes a more neutral backdrop for adding flavorings.

I couldn't find an answer more specific than this, so I'm left to conclude that it really doesn't matter too much... Do they mean "mild" in taste only, or could that imply a lower intensity of health of the kefir entirely?

Thanks in advance!

FREDERIC DUPONT

I don't think it matters much; the way most manufacturers make brown sugar is with white sugar to which they add molasses & impurities... :)

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I don't think it matters much; the way most manufacturers make brown sugar is with white sugar to which they add molasses & impurities... :)

:eek: ...

Quick Start Test Smith

Thanks, Fred. :) I don't think it matters either. My mom used to make water kefir long ago, and she used simple white sugar which worked extremely well for her. 

• 3 weeks later...
Quick Start Test Smith

Hey everyone, quick update on the kefir.

I bought some dehydrated grains from CulturesforHealth.com which even after three weeks, have produced mild kefir and have barely grown at all. Thankfully, my mom bought some non dehydrated kefir grains from a lady on ebay which arrived only a few days after my original grains had finished hydrating. We synced them up on a two-three day cycle and now the grains from ebay have tripled in number, doubled in size, create a strong fizzy drink, and you can smell them from a few feet away! Today I split the ebay grains into two separate 3qt jars and the quantity of the grains in each jar is still twice as much as originally arrived!

I'm drinking about 2-3 qts a day now. Pretty soon I'll be getting about 4-5 gallons every few days. This is awesome ! :D

• 1 month later...

I bought some 'fresh' milk kefir grains a month ago. I can't make statement about the health benefits, but I absolutely love the stuff. It is a strangely refreshing drink, and surprisingly easy to make once you have the process set up. 

Keilani Gutierrez

I bought some 'fresh' milk kefir grains a month ago. I can't make statement about the health benefits, but I absolutely love the stuff. It is a strangely refreshing drink, and surprisingly easy to make once you have the process set up. 

why can't you make health statements about it? what has been your particular experience with them? 

Because I haven't noticed anything miraculous happening is all.

I do really like the stuff though, and I find it really invigorating. That's not really a health claim though.

Quick Start Test Smith

whats the update on the kefir, Patrick? is it goooooooood? :P

Dude, it is delicious. I think I'm addicted! Seriously, I am drinking about 1.5 gallon a day  :o  :D

Keilani Gutierrez

Dude, it is delicious. I think I'm addicted! Seriously, I am drinking about 1.5 gallon a day  :o  :D

I might jump on this. I'm gonna be making some drastic changes to my eating and this is a new thing i can try out :) Thanks broheem.

Because I haven't noticed anything miraculous happening is all.

I do really like the stuff though, and I find it really invigorating. That's not really a health claim though.

Thanks, Dano! do you take it on your off time? or during your training? 

Quick Start Test Smith

I might jump on this. I'm gonna be making some drastic changes to my eating and this is a new thing i can try out :) Thanks broheem.

Cool, man! I can recommend a lady on eBay who sold us (me and my mom) a fantastic batch that have quintupled since we got them.

It might cost you about $20 maximum to start assuming you already have plastic sifter/filter, glass jars, and some wash cloths. After that, all you need is water, sugar, and some baking soda.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.