Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand Wall Runs

Coach Sommer

Alvaro Antolinez

Wow , great job! 10min straight!. How long can you hold a wall handstand? I am at 3 min and can only make 1 min wall runs, and then only the first time, it falls pretty fast to 30 sec or less. :shock:

Erik Sjolin
Wow Erik, 10 minutes straight? That's insane! :o Congratulations! :)

How did you progress until that? Doing several 1min sets and increasing hold time each week until 10minutes?

I was stuck at about 2 minutes for what feels like half a year (before that, I was struggling just to make it to 30 seconds). After that, I increased my hold times by 30s to 1min every month or whenever I felt ready.

Wow , great job! 10min straight!. How long can you hold a wall handstand? I am at 3 min and can only make 1 min wall runs, and then only the first time, it falls pretty fast to 30 sec or less. :shock:

Not that long, actually. :oops: A static wall HS is probably only about that, 3 min (never timed it).

• 4 months later...
Alen Buljubasic

I'm confused with the wall runs...so if I want to increase my strength in HSPU all I do is wall run? what about doing HeSPU (on a wall) with a vest? and when hiting lets say 10 reps I increase ROM little by little untill I can do HSPU with that same vest? or is it really more benefical to try to do 10 min wall run? has anyone achieved 10 minutes? and if so how many reps did you gain on HeSPU on the wall?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Joshua Slocum

It seems to me that chest to the wall would be a superior position because it is closer to the position you would press from, and back to the wall might encourage excessive back arching. Is there a particular reason you want to do it back to the wall instead of chest to the wall? 

It seems to me that chest to the wall would be a superior position because it is closer to the position you would press from, and back to the wall might encourage excessive back arching. Is there a particular reason you want to do it back to the wall instead of chest to the wall? 

I guess it's a mental thing that when you don't have to worry about falling forward when you do the wall run to failure. 

Joshua Slocum

I guess it's a mental thing that when you don't have to worry about falling forward when you do the wall run to failure. 

Learn to roll.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
Andreas Bolz

Which area of the traps will that exercise emphasize?

Would HS Wall runs combined with Pull ups cover the whole trap? Upper, middle and lower area?

Friend of mine has been doing it for one or two month and in that period never worked on his freestanding handstands (which he could not do before). One day he just kicks into a handstand and holds it for a minute, just had complete control over it. Out of nothing...

Andrew Stemler

Thanks for this thread.   We hope to bring these in as staged practices for our level 3 trainees. Great feedback and guidance.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Question:  Should I be engaging my traps and shrugging my shoulders towards my head?  Because the one way I feel it working in my traps, and it slows the transitions down, but the other way (with relaxed traps) I can feel a lot of work in my rear delts / rotator cuff area.  I'm assuming engaging the traps would be better, or more like a freestanding handstand should be, but can anyone else see the benefits of working both?

Jon Douglas

I believe the focus should be on that elevation and increasing the load by removing one support arm while maintaining it. Carries over well to press work. The shoulder conditioning might not feel like the focus doing it this way, but obviously there is still pressure on the shoulder-- while you don't feel it as much the endurance def increases alongside.

In summary, train the elevation so that you get both :)

• Upvote 2

Connor Davies

Yeah, thinking about it, training both would just develop bad habits as I'd be learning to go slack when my traps started getting tired.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Jon Douglas

Begun 6th May, done twice a week... one month to get to the halfway point today of 5mins on, 2 off, 2.20 on (went for three but my feet were asleep and felt weird ^_^ )

I think the next five minutes will be easier to get than the first. Determined, and planning to break 6/2/2 later this week.

• 2 weeks later...
Jon Douglas

GO Jon!

You have until 23:59 hours on Friday... 

An 8 minute unbroken set today :D next week I'll shoot for 9, then the big target....

Edit;

Side lever pulls appear to be improving almost directly with these. Like, strikingly more comfortable and easy in harder body positions. It's very cool.

• Upvote 3

Alessandro Mainente

ahahah 8 minutes. it is an eternity.

just form my interest, are you feeling strange when you come down from the wall? e.g. when i do 2 min free hs and I come down i can see glittering points in the air..and other things like that, i think it is connected with blood moving up and down

Jon Douglas

ahahah 8 minutes. it is an eternity.

just form my interest, are you feeling strange when you come down from the wall? e.g. when i do 2 min free hs and I come down i can see glittering points in the air..and other things like that, i think it is connected with blood moving up and down

Yeah, it comes down to one rep at a time when it gets loooong :) it's good medicine for me, making a good difference.

No pressure in my head or anything, no seeing stars, the real issue for me is feet! My feet/ankles lose blood around 5-6 minutes and feel weird, and I came down because it was getting a bit uncomfortable (at 8; I could've kept on maybe another 30-60 otherwise). I admit with todays PB I had to stop and sit down for a moment to get my breath back afterwards, before going on to press HS work :)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Jon Douglas

Finally got my ten minute set :)

There were a few times I had to pause to catch my breath, but all pauses were done with one hand on the ground. Did them touching around my sternum, so reps took about 2-3 seconds each.

Nine minutes just refused to happen for the past couple weeks, so today I decided to go ahead and test myself. Not, frankly, as hard as I thought it would be. Several times I nearly came down, but just sticking it out really isn't so bad. The mind is not in possession of all the facts :)

Check back with me in 6-8 weeks when the adaptions start really kicking in, I will hopefully have some cool progress stories :)

My progression by time--

10mins handstand wall runs-- begun 22/4/2014

1 min on, 1 min off = 5 mins     Cleared 6/5/2014

1.5 on, 2 off x 3 = 4.5 mins     Cleared 9/5/2014

2-2-1      13/5/2014

2-2-1.5-1     20/5/2014

2 min on, 2 min off x 3 = 6 mins      Cleared 23/5/14

2.30, 2     27/05/14

2.40, 1.5     30/05/14

3, 2.10       3/06/14

3 min on, 2 min off x2 = 6 mins      Cleared 6/06/14

5 min, 2 min off, 1.20 = 6.20      10/06/14

6 min on, 2 min off, 2 on = 8 mins     16/06/14

7 min on, 2 min off, 1 on = 8 mins

8 min on = 8 mins        Cleared 20/06/14

9 min on = 9 mins

10 min on = 10 mins 4/07/14

Edit;

Note that it took me 2 months to break the 3 minute barrier, then only another month to 10. Stick with it :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Daniel Burnham

I never did over 3 minute wall runs but I often did wall walks.  was able to increase press strength tremendously with the walks.  Before surgery I had planche press handstand, pike press and straddle press for reps.

Always did struggle with balance endurance though.  Great job on this Jon.  Hope to work up to similar over the next year myself.

Jon Douglas

I never did over 3 minute wall runs but I often did wall walks.  was able to increase press strength tremendously with the walks.  Before surgery I had planche press handstand, pike press and straddle press for reps.

I imagine you would, they're basically planche presses assisted enough to get serious volume in! How did you approach these, in terms of numbers/frequency? Did you weight them?

Jon Douglas

True. I guess you could go back and forth between wall pl and HS too, and work on keeping foot pressure to a minimum.

Very interesting :)

Daniel Burnham

I wouldn't think there would be a need to weigh them as you could just move your hands further back and shoulders over hands during the walks. HS Planche walks. Or just give them a grueling tempo.

I did for time with a pause low in planche.

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic