This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What else are you training alongside Level 1?

Started by Klaudius Petrulis, February 18, 2013 · 52 Replies · 2,733 Views

Klaudius Petrulis

I'm just interested to see if anyone has another program they're running to Foundations Level 1

 

Personally the beginner stuff is easy enough that I feel compelled to add in handstands, pullups and ring dips.

 

So, what are you running alongside level 1, if anything at all?

Sven Ravnstag

Handstands, muscle-ups, and bucket circles.

Bobby Bogdanovski

Rock climbing at a local indoor gym. BEST THING EVER!

Joshua Naterman

Front squats and deadlifts.

Riku Calderón

MMA

Gray

Josh, how do you mix F1 with squats and deadlifts. I want to add some deads in the summer and i'm looking for good strength program.

Christian

HS, weighted squats and salsa :-)

Mats Trane

Skateboarding and HS

kobi

slackline, handstand, MMA and Olympic weightlifting

FredInChina

Karate & some running :)

Finnbar

Trampolining 4x/week and Front Squats (Handstands when HS1 comes out)

Mark Collins

Crossfit 5 times a week. Olympic lifting is done 3 times a week in my Crossfit programming.

Peekay

OAC, HS, and the 'Couch to 5k' program.

JamesP

Mostly working on increasing pull up numbers to 20 using Josh's pull up routine before I ship out. Also handstands, increasing number of push ups (simply because I know it's a favorite go-to punishment exercise lol), and long distance running. As well as the occasional breakin' session as part of warm up.

Nautique163

Juggling,working on 5 balls makes a good warm up

Murija

Parkour 

MvdB

Nothing :) (except for lots of walking, cycling and climbing stairs).

 

For now, I'm using F1 as an incentive to get my lazy ass moving again (I've been on a BtGB hiatus since 2009 or 2010). I plan to add whatever the BtGB team releases to my strength and conditioning workout schedule, plus perhaps a little extra for the legs (squats/deadlifts/sprints).

 

Other than that, I have played capoeira for a long, long time but I need a new challenge, so I'm thinking of taking up boxing or judo. And I'd like to go wall-climbing and swimming every now and then.

pashamur

In addition to F1:

 

- Juggling (working on running a consistent 5 ball shower - I max out at 15/20 catches)

 

- 15+ hours / week in the gym, focusing on floor & parallel bars for my first competitive season. Began gymnastics in September, goal is to compete level 9 all-around in two years at NAIGC nationals (I'm 20 years old, 6' 2", former D1 rower, competitive rock climber & wrestler).

 

Warning: I will ignore everyone who tells me it can't be done.

 

 

P.S. Eventual goal is to qualify for Visa Championships, though that it probably close to the limit of what is potentially possible for me as a gymnast.

Adriano Augusto

Indoor Rock climbing too many hours a week, capoeira, running, pilates, yoga, ring strength sequences, mobility/prehab stuff, squatting/deadlifting, wing tsun, HS every day...

 

and F1 5 days a week.

 

Since F1 work take 30-40 minutes more or less, there is a lot of time to do things!

 

A lot of movement!

Edward Kaspar

Steve Justas DL singles program.

 

It's going well so far, I've started F1 from the very beginning so recovery is not an issue at the moment, I'll probably have to re-assess once I progress further through the foundation series however.

Joshua Naterman
Gray said:

Josh, how do you mix F1 with squats and deadlifts. I want to add some deads in the summer and i'm looking for good strength program.

I just do front squats first, then deadlifts. Usually 3 working sets each.

 

I do 1 set of each SLS pre-req in sequence for leg warm up, and I keep the reps to whatever feels good. It's usually pretty similar to PE1-6 and iM 1-6 mastery, but sometimes less and sometimes more.

Joshua Slocum

I use F1 work as general strength training 4x/week. On two of those days I also do straight-arm strength. I also do skill work 5 days a week.

Vincearoo

I am trying, and failing, to mix F1 and rock climbing together. I'm working 50 hours a week doing a bit of wood work. It's actually mounting laminated prints to wood, they're called icons in the Orthodox church. So 10 hours of work a day + rock climbing a few times a week leaves little energy for F1. Trying to find a good way to incorporate it consistently, but it's tough.

ausswe

I find F1 to be an amazing warm up for rock climbing.  20-30 mins of F1 to warm up for a couple of hours of climbing =) 

I guess once the exercises increase in difficulty in the later foundation books I will have to do these things separately though... =(

Klaudius Petrulis
ausswe said:

I find F1 to be an amazing warm up for rock climbing.  20-30 mins of F1 to warm up for a couple of hours of climbing =) 

I guess once the exercises increase in difficulty in the later foundation books I will have to do these things separately though... =(

 

Yeah, mastery of the F1 later stages will be more intense, and will probably end up cutting a lot of peoples extra workouts.

 

I like the diversity I've seen in this thread. Very cool stuff!