Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pre and Post Workout nutrition

gymrob

Joshua Naterman

So basically there's nothing wrong with taking MCTs PWO and there may be some benefit, but they should not replace carbs at all in PWO meals.

As for the rest of the day, well... who knows? They don't seem to slow down digestion too much, so having some with a pre-workout meal may help keep you from burning glucose during your warm up, which should leave you with more energy to work hard with during the work out. A small amount is 20-30g, which works out to 180-270 calories worth, which should take you through a 20-30 minute warm up.

I personally have a fairly balanced fat to carb ratio when averaged out over a 1-2 week timespan, but I have days where I have almost no carbs and days where I have quite a few. It just depends on what I seem to need, and it works well. I stay lean and get strong, and that's what I like to do.

hmm, I understood ... one more question: what is the best PWO natural? I mean, non-supplement? eggs, milk, some fruit, sandwich?

Joshua Naterman

The best would probably be raw milk, poached eggs, and white or yellow potatoes along with some veggies. Of course you could use fruits for the carbs, I think that bananas would work the best but eat what you can eat, you know? If you want some MCT in there just have a tablespoon or two of coconut oil in there. It's great for sauteing the veggies.

for the protein may be meat too? for carbo can be rice or pasta too? and one more question (promise not to ask more :lol: ):

If you want some MCT in there just have a tablespoon or two of coconut oil in there.

I will not get fat doing this?

Joshua Naterman

Rice would be great! I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Pasta's ok too, I mean PWO you just need fast carbs.

No, you won't get fat from MCTs. Especially not small amounts like that. I have gotten considerably leaner. I guess I will have to post some pics, and then I'll post pics again at the end of the year. Keep in mind that I'm doing nothing to intentionally lose fat, I'm eating plenty of calories and not doing any more work than normal.

s ***, I said I would not ask more ... BUT ... I can substitute coconut oil for coconut milk? " which is better and why?

Joshua Naterman

They are the same nutrients. I suppose coconut milk is even MORE complete, but coconut oil is just the fat from coconut milk. There's no difference between coconut milk fat and virgin coconut oil. Refined coconut oil is still ok as long as it is organic, meaning no chemicals are used at all. I also think that, per calorie, the coconut milk is cheaper.

What, specifically, is out of date about the study?

You're link does not contain a single reference. Anecdotes about sumo wrestlers do not prove that its better to eat carbs in the morning. Martin Berkhan gets amazing results with his clients by having them skip breakfast.

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Client%20results

Carbs are important for high intensity activity, but what proof do you have that you should eat less of them as the day wears on?

The study was done in 1997 when anything today says NOT to do exactly that. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bodytrans.htm and http://www.shapefit.com/late-night-snacking.html This should help. The point was to show that breakfast is essential and carbs during breakfast makes sense. These help explain further in depth.

Your first link has no references.

Your second link has references that are older than one I gave, yet you accused me of giving out of date references.

A study is only out of date when it's methodology (once believed to be accurate) is now known to be problematic, or subsequent studies have shown it results were a fluke. You have proven neither.

In your second link, the reasoning behind not eating carbs at night is purely mechanistic. That is to say, no citations were given that measured the actual end points of FFM/fat mass. On the other hand, the study I cited did measure actual body composition as an end point and did not find that eating late at night inhibited fat loss compared to a day time eating pattern. While it is interesting and important to know the mechanisms that take place in our body, ultimately we are most interested in the "big picture" which is changes in body comp.

In less words, my study is better than your studies.

lol whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

Wow. This is a really funny discussion. Yeti, from my side of the screen, you kinda seem like a fanboy/girl. I have not seen one of your post contain some sort of scientific reasoning for your claims. We're all here with open minds willing to learn, but that will only happen with sound logical reasoning.

It's very strange to see "truths" and "facts" being posted when mountains of evidence show otherwise. Anecdotal evidence has its merits when in a completely unexplored area of science, but this is clearly not the case.

Joshua Naterman

Regardless of that, I DO think it is fair to say that there are quite a few diets that can produce impressive results.

Yeti, it would absolutely help to have replicated study references within the last 10 years that have produced results with a diet far different than what triangle is referencing. Without looking for that it is going to be hard to support your claims. It's sort of like telling someone to work out "because I said so" instead of "because working out makes you feel and look great and age gracefully. Check out these studies, you can see the results for yourself. *hands over study links*"

Does that make sense?

Regardless of that, I DO think it is fair to say that there are quite a few diets that can produce impressive results.

Yeti, it would absolutely help to have replicated study references within the last 10 years that have produced results with a diet far different than what triangle is referencing. Without looking for that it is going to be hard to support your claims. It's sort of like telling someone to work out "because I said so" instead of "because working out makes you feel and look great and age gracefully. Check out these studies, you can see the results for yourself. *hands over study links*"

Does that make sense?

Aye, I hear ya there. I just go with what works.

But like you said as well, there is a lot of diets out there that "work" and are beneficial. I think the best advice I can give is to find something that works for YOU and stick with it.

• 4 years later...

I have been reading up extensively on the forums re: nutrition, and found this and wanted to bring it back up and ask a quick few questions, or maybe just 1.

becoming fat adapted, there was a message in here saying that it took 8 weeks, using 1/4 cup heavy cream with 2-10g L-glutamine. was there anything else you did? how did you find that worked.

I ask this as I am trying to cut my b/f down, I can go a good 3 hours without food and find that i am still ok. I am however not losing much weight. I have been on a strict 1800 calorie controlled diet, that includes protein carbs and fats, and last week I went down to 1500 calories, but added in 2 large tblspoons of Coconut oil per day.

Being fat adapted doesn't' necessarily mean that you are lean right? and if that is the case, I did read a link i found online about being fat adapted, but wanted to know how you can be sure? 

I was previously eating for my metabolic type which was a protein type, and basically gave away fruits, mainly because i just didn't really feel like eating them, and found that I had screwed with my metabolism a bit, working with an FDN i seem to have gotten some of that back but as yet, still not losing the weight I want.

so any extra help would be great.

thanks

bret

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.