Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stall Bars In Australia?

Bobby Bogdanovski

Bobby Bogdanovski

Does anyone know where I can buy wooden stall bars in Australia? I'm having a terribly hard time finding a local supplier online

Adam Bodestyne

personally, I was just looking to try to build my own. I think there have been some quite useful other posts in the equipment forum from others who have gone that route.

Bobby Bogdanovski

personally, I was just looking to try to build my own. I think there have been some quite useful other posts in the equipment forum from others who have gone that route.

I had a look at the DIY stall bar posts. They look like a fun and worthwhile project but I think i'd just like to shell out for a ready made set. At the moment It's looking to be just as tricky as making my own though lol

Bobby Bogdanovski

Thanks for the links Red. I came across the ironedge one but it is a bit too much. I'm looking to find something less than $500. Thanks again

Adam Bodestyne

Aye, I came across the Ironedge ones, and thought I could probably buy the materials and pay someone else to build multiple sets of them for me for the price of those bars. (Actually, I could probably make one set myself for the cost of the shipping to Perth).

I'll keep my own eye out, though, in case I find another reasonably inexpensive ready-made set somewhere.

Stewart Whaley

Good luck with the search, but I could make 10 more sets at home for $500...and I'm terrible at carpentry/handiwork.

Paying someone to make a set is an interesting idea, especially if the aesthetics matter ( my DIY is super ugly).

If you go that route, let us know how it turns out.

Definitely build your own I did a sketch up of some metric stall bars as converting from inches to mm can be painfully when setting out. 

The hardest part was sourcing cheap 35mm dowel as Tasmanian Oak is $18/m. I found a wood turner in Brisbane & got some pine for $6.60/m. Other than that a couple pieces of 3m 100x50 Cypress Pine & a couple new drill bits, the total cost was less than $150.

I have attached the sketch if anyone would like to use it as a rough guide, its pretty straight forward the blanks you'll just have to be creative & fill in yourself.

Stall Bars Sketch.pdf (59KB)

Finished product.

DIY_Stall_Bars.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Richard Gould

I

I was inspired by your design blueprint to make a set of my own. Constructed it all out of Tasmanian oak, which wasn't cheap but polishes up very nicely with a couple of coats of oil. Needed it look good so I could convince my wife to let me put them up by the front door  :)

Once it dried I can get on to the hard part => MN/PE6  :facepalm:

IMG_20150429_150001.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Lowryda

Excellent build mate! Any contact details for this turner and do you know if he'll ship (townsville)? Best I can find here is $15 per metre of 35mm dowel from bunnings. Even then, 2.4m purchases equals huge wastage!