Supernated Grip (Chin Ups) Put More Stress Of Rc Than Pronated Grip (Pull Up)

Started by crossfic, February 3, 2013 · 5 Replies · 2,805 Views

crossfic

I read that having you arms supernated put more stress on the rotator cuff, is this true?

FredInChina
crossfic said:

I read that having you arms supernated put more stress on the rotator cuff, is this true?

Why would your arms float on the surface? :facepalm::icon_twisted:

crossfic

what do you mean?

tonio145

I think you mean supinated. Its probably the other way because chin ups are easier then pull ups. 

synchroGENized

Last year my group started with chin-ups/pull-ups.  I was quite worried about rotator cuffs because as swimmers they all were at risk of injury and some already had old injuries.  We did lots of dead hangs and pre-hab and in the end the total injury rate was much lower than in other years.  They still can't do many un-assisted pull-ups or chin-ups, so I don't know if the same thing works out at higher volumes.

 

I imagine that the key is to be sincere about your current ROM and strength and work from there.

Joshua Naterman

Yes. The supinated position stretches the external rotators more than the pronated position, but I think this is more of an academic question than a truly training-related question.

 

As GEN said, be honest about where you are and progress from there. You may not be able to do a full dead hang from a supinated position at first, but with time (and progressively moving towards such a position) it will come. Rings are handy for this, and so are pull up bars with parallel grips. That way you have a lot of options for shoulder rotation, and can work into them progressively even if you don't have rings.

 

I like rings the most for this, simply because you have infinitely finer control over the level of supination/pronation.