Couples Who Workout Together, Stay Together
Skip the drinks and work out with your partner instead! Try these fun bodyweight exercises inspired by our love of Gymnastic Strength Training with your gym partner or better half!
Get Your Hearts Racing
Start off the workout with some cardio by going for a jog, bike ride, jump rope, or performing jumping jacks. These are all great ways to get your blood pumping and it’s crucial before beginning a workout so don’t skimp out!
Aim to spend at least 3-5 minutes engaged in some form of cardiovascular exercise.
Grab Your Sidekick and Stretch
Limber up together with these partner stretches (video below), inspired by our Online Stretch Series.
- Partner Pancake: Sit in a seated straddle position and place the soles of your feet together. Now hold hands. One partner will fold forward while the other gently pulls them into a light stretch. Be sure to keep your legs straight! Hold for 30 seconds and then switch.
- Partner Pike Stretch: This is similar to the partner pancake but now your legs will be together. Again, hold for 30 seconds before switching.
- Partner Shoulder Stretch: Grab a dowel, broomstick or towel and hold it behind you with palms forward. With the help of your partner, try to lift your hands while keeping straight arms (see photo below). Perform 10 repetitions before switching.
This partner stretch is a fun way to limber up together and is just a taste of the GB Stretch Courses!
Next, you’re going to motivate each other and work on your abs with these three amazing core exercises:
- Partner Russian Twist: This one will test your teamwork! With a light weight held in your outstretched hands, sit back to back. Now sit up nice and tall and lean back into each other at approximately a 45º angle. Twist to the right as you lower your arms towards the ground, hand off the weight, and switch sides! Your goal is to perform 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
- Hollow and Arch: The hollow body and arch body holds are two of the most important foundational exercises in the GymnasticBodies programs. Your goal is to hold a hollow body and then roll over and go straight into an arch body hold. Motivate each other to stick with 3 sets of 20 seconds for each! You guys got this!
Post Workout Play
Once you’ve completed your core workout, congratulate each other and get ready for some fun! This a good chance to spot each other in some more advanced movements like free handstands, press handstands, or other Gymnastic Strength TrainingTM exercises that you can’t yet do on your own. This practice session is a fun way to finish the workout. It is also a great way to spend some quality time with your significant other or bestie and improve your gymnastic skills!
- Enjoy a short jog or bike ride with your partner to get your hearts racing for each other and the workout.
- Stretching with a partner is a fun and effective way to limber up for your workout.
- The couple's core workout is inspired by our beginner level online courses.
- Finish up the workout by spotting each other through some more advanced exercises like handstands!
You just gave your buddy or significant other the amazing gift of health by encouraging them to stay fit and happy with partner-style GSTTM.