Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L-Sit transitioning from Parallettes to floor

Andrew Lim

Hi guys,

I have been working L-sits for about 5 months now and have made some progress on Parallettes. Currently my max hold is 30s, with 15s x 4 now my working sets. I can do it a bit straighter and legs higher as per below.

post-51142-13531537236631_thumb.jpg

I am wondering what I can do to transition to the floor. Currently, I can just barely get myself off the floor. Not enough for working sets. I can do it on a couple of books, but this is probably around a 5s max hold.

post-51142-13531537236952_thumb.jpg

I think that hamstring and general flexibilty need work & I am doing that a couple of dedicated times a week. This photo on the chair also shows the flexibility issues I think. I sense that the lack of flexibility could be in my whole body. I am 34, not getting younger and have always been very tight everywhere :?

post-51142-1353153723727_thumb.jpg

Oh and further to my L-sit story, about 2 1/2 months ago I was trying floor L-Sits on my fingers & injured both of my thumbs (from bending back). The pain has only just gone away. To other newbs - don't do l-sits on your fingers. :!:

I am just wondering if anyone has any comments about how I can get more 'compression' or 'lift' to get off the parallettes. I am doing weighted pikes, some band assisted hammy/IT Band/ leg stretch. I sort of think more time on the parallettes is a bit of a dead end. Any help on what to focus on will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

edna

ps I have lurked here for months after finding posts about improving pullups & have learnt a lot, so thanks to everyone

Bruno Cochofel

One drill you can try, on the floor, hands pressing down, try to lift your butt feet resting the floor, only try to lift butt.

One thing about the pictures, on L-sit you should straight your legs and point your feet..

You know there is a flexibility issue and are working on it, that's excellent. In fact your thighs are actually quite high, it's just the hamstring tightness is forcing the knees to bend. You might lower your thighs to the point you can straighten your legs, at least for some sets.

Your scapula are rolled up and forward, if you squeeze and depress them, that will get you more lift as well as being excellent scap training.

Hi Edna!

I was in the same situation 3-4 months before and decided to skip the L-sit on parallettes and just do it on the floor.

My times were comparable to yours: 38 sec max on parallettes, with feet slighlty bend, 15 sec max on floor, tucked.

I started working 3x7 seconds, I know it is less than 60 seconds, but to me it was very challenging. And now after completing a SSC my maximum went up to 30+ seconds, obviously tucked. I am satisfied with the result and keep going this way. After achieving a 60 sec maximum, i will start do slightly extend my legs, or only one leg. I'm not really sure about that, but I have a few months before I reach that point.

Summarized, I don't regret this step. By doing the tucked version on the floor I learned to push down my shoulders and the whole thing felt "better". Don't know how to describe it.

Greetings,

Chris

Joshua Naterman
Hi Edna!

I was in the same situation 3-4 months before and decided to skip the L-sit on parallettes and just do it on the floor.

My times were comparable to yours: 38 sec max on parallettes, with feet slighlty bend, 15 sec max on floor, tucked.

I started working 3x7 seconds, I know it is less than 60 seconds, but to me it was very challenging. And now after completing a SSC my maximum went up to 30+ seconds, obviously tucked. I am satisfied with the result and keep going this way. After achieving a 60 sec maximum, i will start do slightly extend my legs, or only one leg. I'm not really sure about that, but I have a few months before I reach that point.

Summarized, I don't regret this step. By doing the tucked version on the floor I learned to push down my shoulders and the whole thing felt "better". Don't know how to describe it.

Greetings,

Chris

Very smart! I don't know if our (the mods, Coach, and others who have realized the benefits) constant reminders to start with the ultra basics is behind your decision but whatever it is, I am glad you are seeing the benefits of starting at the beginning and building your strength step by step in the right position!

Please continue to share your story with people as you see more people post about being in your previous position!

Oddly, after being stalled out on the floor i went the opposite way. I had about a 15 sec floor hold. I went to the parallel bars with legs quite low for a minute which has become easy. I follow that with a few 10sec floor holds, which are quickly loosing their desperation.

Slizz is 100% right, the basics, scaling and patience are essential for any real progress to take place.

I just do it on fists or on the MCP ridge to get that extra height. Useful trick for some gymnasts who do Manna/V/L press to HS.

To do it on the MCP ridge, simply lift your palm off the floor but you can help support it with the thumb.

I have experimented this morning and can do it on the floor, tucked with knees apart and feet crossed for reasonable time. So I am thinking SSC and see where it leads me. Without the knees apart, I was getting butt flesh assist.

I was wondering about fists - I can do it like this, but I don't see it as really pushing me to get the lift to progress to hands, so not sure if I want to work it much.

Maybe tuck will put the focus where it needs to be more eg on scaps and shoulders.

Tough to know which way to go. At least my focus is different now & I have a few options. Maybe I should mix it up a bit. One day parallettes, the next tuck, then fists, then a mixture.

Thanks for all replies, they have all really helped me think about and practice this.

Hey Edna,

My advice would be to:

- Keep practicing the tuck sit on floor to build support strength. Just watch your shoulders aren't rolling forward.

- Stretch your pike before L-sit work

- Strengthen the hip.

Strengthening the hip can be done by doing:

-Standing Leg extensions (stand on one leg, lift the other one up to 90o)

-PB support (or equivalent) leg raise to L-sit

-Hanging L- sit

Also your thighs are currently in a nice parallel position. But this does not mean that they are strong enough to handle the extra load of the straight legs :)

Jules

• Like 1

Very smart! I don't know if our (the mods, Coach, and others who have realized the benefits) constant reminders to start with the ultra basics is behind your decision but whatever it is, I am glad you are seeing the benefits of starting at the beginning and building your strength step by step in the right position!

Please continue to share your story with people as you see more people post about being in your previous position!

Thank you for your kind words!

And yes you are right, your constaint reminders to do the basic stuff made my decision.