This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What Have You Found Are Your Mobility Deficits?

Started by RatioFitness, February 2, 2013 · 41 Replies · 1,420 Views

The Hansenator

Swivel hips is my nemesis.

Ravn

+1 ^

~Atticus

For me the granddaddy of them all is MN/PE2.  

 

Started with pretty decent passive mobility but horrible active mobility. (To be sure, I've gotten better at raising my legs in this element, but I'm still very far from demonstrating the range of mobility that the athlete demonstrates in the video.)

 

Ankle mobility has greatly improved since I started foundation, though, but will have to get a lot better if I am to do SLS without lifting my heel off the ground.

 

On a positive note, I can now do SLS/PE2 without lifting my heel, though when I began this about 6 months ago, my heel was always coming off the ground -- similar to how Alan's heel gets lifted off the ground.

Eric Baum

Thoracic spine flexibility

Tina Kinsley

My ankles are my biggest issue. I can only do SLS PE1 with significant momentum off of a gym mat. Doing from a flat surface isn't going to happen any time soon. I have limitations being able to fully extend my hips in table position as well, and my shoulders are jacked up. So, pretty much nothing moves perfectly, but some areas are far worse than others.

 

It's a marathon, not a sprint, though, right?

Rayne-William

So far? I haven't found any mobility deficits yet.

tom040287
Rayne-William said:

So far? I haven't found any mobility deficits yet.

HAHA envy rears it's head.

For me a common theme, tight hips, i think some anterior tilt and truly awful whatever is stopping me getting my  chest up in SLPE1.

Ben Lawlis

Ankles, calves, hamstrings, hip flexors, glutes, trunk, shoulders. Fingers and toes are fine, though.

Mark Chin

Mainly just internal rotation in the hip, hamstrings, the entire shoulder girdle, fingers (yes, H1 straight finger stretch a problem, thanks to Dupuytren's contracture), thoracic spine, adductors.  But hey, that's only what I found out in the first couple of weeks. I'm sure there's more, which I will find out about in about 3 years when I get to that iM.  Apparently, my Achilles tendon is less tight than some other people's. Woo hoo!!

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hamstrings, quads, psoas, internal rotation, calves, aductors, pec, minor pec, shoulder flexion, shoulder extension, spine flexion, spine extension and many more. There is not one little part of my body that is not tight.

 

Jon Douglas

We can fix that:)

Luke Searra

Antonio our programs are very well thought out by our Coach Christopher Sommer. With consistent training you will become mobile. You MUST be consistent.

Antonio Alías Montoya
17 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

Antonio our programs are very well thought out by our Coach Christopher Sommer. With consistent training you will become mobile. You MUST be consistent.

I know. I am so happy that I found GB and decided to give a try. I m very surprised discovering which parts of my body are inmobile or tight and also with the help of some physios and osteopaths discovering how all my pains and injuries are related to this lack of mobility. When I started working in the strecht series and after reading a lot in the forum I realized I was really bad in the 3 of them: pancake started 70 centimetres from the floor, pike with flat back at a 120-130º angle and bridge impossible to do it yet.

I ve had a moderate but nice improvement in this last 3 months and feeling very good. The only thing that stops me from training is getting sick or lumbago which I suffer from time to time.

Malcolm Watters

I feel like I'm in the ok for a beginner camp.  I'm on my 3rd week of the stretch series and love the way I feel when I'm done.  Last night I told my wife, "I feel loose and tight all at the same time"

 

id say im the farthest off in the butterfly pancake.  I'm not close in a regular pancake but for some reason in the butterfly I can't get anterior at all and with a flat back I csn barely lean forward.  Can't wait to see where it all leads!

Leo Trinidad

stretch series works wonders because as you get stronger, you definitely will get tighter and sometimes the mobility in between the strength elements is not enough. we are so lucky and should be thankful for the stretch courses. :)

PAUL DALY

I keep finding new ones. . . hips at first but then I realized how tight my hamstrings are. . . and then I began to realize how tight my calves and achilles are. And then I began to realize how tight my IT band is. . . and then realized my shoulders are a wreck. 

I think that maybe a positive is that I'm only realizing how tight the next thing is because I'm making progress with one thing. In other words, at first I think my hips were so tight, I couldn't even realize how tight my hamstrings are/were. Maybe just wishful thinking. 

 

Malcolm Watters
10 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

stretch series works wonders because as you get stronger, you definitely will get tighter and sometimes the mobility in between the strength elements is not enough. we are so lucky and should be thankful for the stretch courses. :)

Do you think the stretch and mobility excersizes slow the strength gains?  For instance if you are just doing bench press for a month you can go up in max weight pretty quick but doing this it may take you a month to go from 4 sets of 9 push-ups to 5 sets.  I dint mind the slow preogression because it's like @Coach Sommer says strength is not enough and mobility is not enough.  You gotta have both!!