I would need some clarification on sPL/PE1. The camera angle makes it hard to see what the body is doing during the descent portion of the rep. Is the body allowed to sag/arch or does it have to stay hollowed?
Thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by yonder200, February 1, 2013 · 19 Replies · 969 Views
I would need some clarification on sPL/PE1. The camera angle makes it hard to see what the body is doing during the descent portion of the rep. Is the body allowed to sag/arch or does it have to stay hollowed?
Thanks
Scap shrug, focus on that movement. Your body should remain mostly hollow during it, bit more toward neutral on the bottom is ok. Get those scaps moving.
Body should be straight with a slight hollow, as in a normal push-up.
Some small sagging will naturally occur at the bottom of the movement. Do not be overly concerned with this, concentrate on moving those shoulder blades.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Yeah I could have been a bit more clear there, my apologies.
Is it just me or is the shoulder shrug quite a challenging movement?
I can currently only do 9 reps and already feel it!
i feel both the biceps and shoulders after each set
It is way harder than it looks ![]()
RiQC said:It is way harder than it looks
[That's what she said...
]
Seriously, most of F1 is like that, isn't it? ![]()
![]()
Yeah this is one I thought I would blow through and found out during set three that I just couldn't do any more reps! Quite surprised on that one. Shows a big hole in my training so glad to have the opportunity to correct it. I also felt my body sag a bit while doing it. I could not for even one rep stay completely hollow once my blades were pinched together. I watched that video a hundred times and came to the conclusion that the model doing it also sagged a bit during the eccentric part of the movement.
Glad Coach clarified so I don't keep wondering!
Do the arms stay perpendicular to the floor during the movement? Or can the body extend forward during the descent?
I have noticed lately that I am sagging/arching a lot in the lower portion of the shrug, I think I might need to start these over from week 1 and carefully watch my form a lot more. I know that the shrugging is the important part but I guess too much sagging is not ok?
gohei_ said:I have noticed lately that I am sagging/arching a lot in the lower portion of the shrug, I think I might need to start these over from week 1 and carefully watch my form a lot more. I know that the shrugging is the important part but I guess too much sagging is not ok?
just start from a GB plank(protraction/depression and PPT) and just keep the body as uniform as possible while you shrugg. I've noticed my shoulders have gotten a bit more mobile doing this.(what gets tired the most during this part of the workout is my abs/glutes/serratus or it will all sneak up on me at the same time)
KeilaniG said:just start from a GB plank(protraction/depression and PPT) and just keep the body as uniform as possible while you shrugg. I've noticed my shoulders have gotten a bit more mobile doing this.(what gets tired the most during this part of the workout is my abs/glutes/serratus or it will all sneak up on me at the same time)
I am starting from a plank position but I feel like I can't move the scaps through full rom this way so I end up arching, arching badly. I suppose a few more minicycles on this one won't hurt. Thanks for the response.
gohei_ said:I am starting from a plank position but I feel like I can't move the scaps through full rom this way so I end up arching, arching badly. I suppose a few more minicycles on this one won't hurt. Thanks for the response.
if you post a video, we can see what it is. in my room, i sometimes check my form on it, i do -feel- some sag, but i do my best to not let it happen by engaging the PPT. Coach and Nic have expressed that saging is not so serious on this PE, so you don't need to worry about it, but if you feel it's hampering the ROM you -could- be improving in, just post a video ![]()
I posted one while i was fretting on the sag and no one commented on it at all.
-edit: commented on the sag that is ![]()
Good to hear
I will try to get up a video in the next few days.
gohei_ said:(...) I can't move the scaps through full rom this way so I end up arching (...)
Coach Sommer said:(...) Do not be overly concerned with this, concentrate on moving those shoulder blades.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Look up^ ![]()
FredInChina said:Look up^
Yes I know
but he also states "some small sagging will occur" I can assure you, this is more than small
but I will throw up a form check to be sure.
Yes, good idea to post a video ![]()
If anyone has the time; I threw up a form check on these in a new thread : https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12281-gohei-s-form-checks/
any advice welcome.