This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rope Climbing

Started by Alessandro Mainente, January 23, 2013 · 28 Replies · 481 Views

Alessandro Mainente

During the finland seminar Coach Sommer talked about the rope climbing progression...i mean to the 4 stage about the hands position but i didn't had the opportunity to write down what he said about the progression to pass from one stage to the next. i'm meaning to how much rope do, how many sets, how to increase distance etc... i remember he talked about one guy as an axample...

 

does someone have some notes about that?

 

thanks to all

yuri marmerstein

Alessandro Mainente

fantastic!!!

for sure there is an ideal way to progress? for example i need to climb 6 meters but i can climb only 3...how i can progress?

i remember that the Coach said something about that but i can't remember what

 

i have in my house the possibility to climb just 3 meters and half. how can i progress through this skill?

yuri marmerstein
alex87 said:

fantastic!!!

for sure there is an ideal way to progress? for example i need to climb 6 meters but i can climb only 3...how i can progress?

i remember that the Coach said something about that but i can't remember what

 

i have in my house the possibility to climb just 3 meters and half. how can i progress through this skill?

Try 1.5 climbs, go all the way up, come halfway down, go up again then come down.  This is a great test of strength, endurance, and mental fortitude.  When you get better you can do multiple rope climbs in the same attempt

Alessandro Mainente

can i use the 5x5 template for RC progression? what can be considered 1 rep in terms of meter?

yuri marmerstein
alex87 said:

can i use the 5x5 template for RC progression? what can be considered 1 rep in terms of meter?

I would count 5 or so meters up and down as 5 reps

Alessandro Mainente

I did rc one wensday of the previous week...and i have always pain in my hands. i think i have the hands of a lady!

Alessandro Mainente

today i did the last 5x5 reps of RC counting one reps as 4 foot (about 1 meter). in my case equals to climb my 3 meters rope (but effective are 2 meters and 20-30 cm that is possible to climb)  2 times and half.

i tried after the RC at 3rd stage...damn. seems to be impossible but i can do 1 rep. ready for the new cycle...

Alessandro Mainente

is possible use the F1 schedule also for rope climbing? for example train rope climbing 3 times a week? or there is to much stress over the joints?

Christian

I think coach's athletes climb every training day. And as a cool off for ring work...

Alessandro Mainente

i've listened about this punishment..in the federal center in Milan if you don't do your work...every gymnast must do 1 rope...

i moved to another gym ahahahah...i'm just kidding

Mats Trane

In my sons gym the rule is, for every minute you show up late for pratice, results in 1 (6 meter) RC. The gymnasts are very seldom late :).

I also clearly remeber at the Mallorca seminar how Allen would do a couple of RC and MU right in the beginning of his training, we were all impressed, Coach just calmly said that it was a part of Allen's WARM UP.

Alessandro Mainente

ahahahah your sons will be monsters...

actually i'm doing rc with 5kg in straddle..all my hands are broken..i hate that. do you have the same problem?

Mats Trane

Haha, he learnt the hard way. He is never late anymore. No I actually never had problems with ripped hands.

yuri marmerstein

At my gym I never use rope as punishment(though the other coaches do), but rather something to enjoy and get better at.  Using rope or conditioning as punishment tends to lead to a disdain for it.  When they quit they want to stay the hell away from it because they associate it with pain and doing something wrong. 

I have one girl specifically in one my my tumbling classes who used to be on team at this gym, just level 5, nothing fancy.  While she is quite strong it took me a while to get her to enjoy climbing rope again simply because when she trained with team, they would make her climb the rope as punishment for mistakes which were largely not her fault in the first place.

 

 

Especially for kids who don't compete, or probably are never really going to compete at a high level, I want them to relish the opportunity to get stronger. 

 

There are some days the kids beg me to do rope :)

Mats Trane
yuri said:

go all the way up, come halfway down, go up again then come down.  

 

This sounds like a great idea. I´ve been having a goal of doing a double RC on a 6 meter rope.

The way I´ve been trying it is to go all the way up, all the way down and then up again and I usually fail half way up... As you say IT IS a great test of mental fortitude :)

Nic Branson

Up inverted, then down normal and back up again.

Up using an opposite side / opposite leg catcher motion then down normal.

So many options....

Alessandro Mainente

inverted you mean ass up and head down?

Nic Branson

Yeap, Chameleon Climb feet first.

Mats Trane

Maybe we should post our ropeclimbing videos in this thread to psych ourselfs up?

Daniel Burnham

I challenge all to a rope climbing race at the seminar :)

Mats Trane
Daniel Burnham said:

I challenge all to a rope climbing race at the seminar :)

Wish i could be there :)

Alessandro Mainente

ahahaha sounds good...a great race...i'll be in London seminar this year

last week in Milan i challenged Morandi on a 6 meters rope...but no possibility to compete

he climbed it in 5.8 seconds...

 

i tried to climb with face down and ass up. can i use the feet on rope? is super difficult

Daniel Burnham

I also have a hard time climbing upside down without feet. A guy I one of the gyms I went to did it with a backpack of weight

yuri marmerstein

I'll have to start working rope again.  haven't touched the rope since i performed it a few weeks ago

 

 

I also have a spanish web I can bring to the seminar, but I'm guessing there would be nowhere to hang it