Some Guidance Please

Started by Mbelcoski, January 21, 2013 · 0 Replies · 1,868 Views

Mbelcoski

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and also absolutely new to gymnastics training. I have experience with other types of strength training, but little experience in isometric work. I was hoping to get a little guidance First off I am 5'9 195 lbs at 27 years old.  Just today I tested my FSP prerequisites. My results are as follows:

Elevated straight arm plank- 60s, 60s, 60s

Reverse plank- 60s, 60s, 60s

Arch- 60, 45, 41

Hollow- 60, 40, 35

dead hand, plams facing out- 60, 50, 45

Rings support- 45, 40, 32

German Hang- 20, 15, 5

Wall handstand w back against wall-  40, 35, 30

 

I performed each hold for 3 sets, moving onto the next hold only after completing all 3 sets of each and taking approximately 1 minute rest between sets. Am I doing this right? I believe it is also worth noting the high level of discomfort in my biceps tendons performing the german hang, is this normal? Is it recommended that I keep working on these FSPs? If so, when should I move onto the FSPs shown in the book and how should I go about progressing? Are there any prerequisites that I am missing? I am eagerly awaiting the second edition of BTGB so that I have access to more information regarding where to start. Until then I don't know if I should just put my gymnastics training on hold as to avoid injury. Also, can anyone give me a good mobility routine?  My flexibility can use ALOT of work. I am looking for a good balance of strength and flexibility. I experience a great deal of discomfort doing wrist pushups as well, my wrists are very weak. Total workout time is also a factor, as I work 12 hour shifts and am hoping to spend 1 hour max if possible on my total routine of mobility, FSP and FBE. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!