How should I program Intensity levels?
I've been following BtGB for 4 months.
I'm 39 6'1" 230lbs
My main goal is to achieve a HSPU and the FSPs.
Currently my max HeSPU wall supported is maybe 2 on a good day. When I started I could do 3 arched back wall handstand pushups. I thought I was doing the movement correctly but I realized the importance of having a hollow body.
While my rep max has decreased from 3 to 1, I believe that I have gotten stronger.
I can do 3* 60 wall handstands if I keep foot contract with the wall, but I try to stay balanced as much as possible so my sets may be 20 - 45s until I fall forward.
Would it be better to adhere to 60s wall handstands even if it means more wall contact?
I'm working out 3 times a week.
I do the FSP every workout.
a1 FL adv tuck 11s, 11s, 11s, 11s
a2 BL adv tuck 12s, 12s, 12s, 12s
a3 Ring Lsit kbs 12s, 12s, 12s, 15s final set to failure
Adv Frog Stand 15s, 15s, 15s, 15s
I try to mix up the FBE
Monday:
HeSPU bar 5, 5, 4 3:15 rest ( aiming for 45s TUT) 2:30 rest
L chin rings 3, 3, 3 (90s rest) 2s up/ 1s hold/ 2s down
PPP 3, 3, 3
Wed:
Cast Wall walks 4, 4, 4 ( max is probably 7)
Ring Rows 45s TuT trying for 3s up/ 3s down - I move my feet to make it easier at about 35s because I just can't pull any harder.
Ring dips 3, 3, 3
Friday:
HeSPU wall 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 (rest 2:30) Somedays I complete all of these, sometimes I'll lose tension and fail.
L chin rings 3, 3, 3 (90s rest) 2s up/ 1s hold/ 2s down
Is this to much intensity to progress?
How do you guys program intensity?
Is it normal for a FBE to remain at the same level for 3 months?
I can understand that with advanced skills like the cross or FL, but I'm only doing a wall HeSPU.
I do think that I'm stronger in the movement because I've gotten more strict in my form, but the fact remains that 1 rep of HeSPU is 90%+ intensity levels for me.
Is training the same overhead press movement 3 times a week to much?
While I do mix up the tempo and the load a bit, the perceived exertion is high every day.
The last 10 seconds of 3s Up/Down in the HeSPU wall is INTENSE.
Should the RPE be more like:
Monday 6 RPE
Wednesday 8 RPE
Friday 10 RPE all reps to failure.
Is it OK to work to failure everyday in final set of the safer FSPs ( e.g. L-sits and FL)?
My L-sit has gotten higher but my tested max only increased from 20s to 22s after 3 months.
It seems making the final set to failure should speed up adaption.
How should the Intensity be varied?
- should I use easier progressions on the lighter days? (e.g. Hanging L sit vs PB L-sit )
- Is it enough to just vary the sets? (3 sets of 11s FSP vs 5 sets 11s ) OR
- Should you vary the TUT? ( 3 sets of 11s vs 3 sets of 9s )
What's the minimum stimulus needed to keep progressing in FSP?
- Would 1 set to failure in your current progression FSP create 60% of the gains?
It would seem as long as you stayed on the same progression for 8 weeks, you'd be able to make sure the tendons had fully adapted before moving to more advanced stuff.
How Should I Program Intensity Levels?
Started by bigB, January 7, 2013 · 3 Replies · 3,115 Views
Hi.
Your Programme and questions are pretty much excactly my concerns too.
I train 3 times a week too,working fsp,and been advised to stick to two fbe and develope on those instead of chopping and changing every workout which makes sense the more you do of something the better you become at them.
Mon
Pre-req =plank,reverse plank,hollow hold,superman,german hangs,dead hangs,rings supports,wall extensions,wall handstands( 3x30 sec)
Really focusing my energy on these mainly to help build up the joints,form and flexibility.Building up to 3x60 sec.So am happy to keep my training stagnant and focus on improving these 1st as i feel i have done them lightly hoping my previous barbell strength would suffice but feel after the past 6weeks of properly starting gst my joints form and conditioning arn't fully ready.So im dont want to scrap my progress and just putting it on hold till my pre req catch up.
MON
FL tuck 4x15
BL tuck 4x15
PL 4x15
L-sit 5x12
ring ppp 3x3
weighted chins 3x20kg
static stretches (30 mins)
Tues
t
Tumbling
WED
prereq
squats
Fri
Same as mon
Going to start including maybe another day of prereq in a few weeks depending how i feel.I felt these were for weak novices but the more i do them the more i appriciate there strength value like ring support holds RTO r brutal.
I find to keep training abriavated and if it works sweet if not its easier to figure out whats wrong instead of having loads of sets and exercises and when you become more conditioned add in another set or exercise.
Iv'e left hespu out of my training for the same reason as you said when i keep strict form my reps drop and its to high intensity so am relying on handstand straight arm strength to carry over strength to my hespu,plus its another exercise to have to recover from which effects overall recovery.
Coach has an article about one of his youngsters struggled with hspu and had him just do handstand walks and after a few weeks he banged out several good ones without actually training them.
Im no expert but my advice is leave hspu as 1 rep is to much strain on the nervous system include exchange it for handstand walks and at the end of a cycle test your max on hespu. and pull out another exercise to allow more recovery and hopefully progress.
Dont train to failure when training for strength,the doms will lead to overtraining when we want to train more frequently with volume.
If you avoid failure short of a few reps and deload every 6-10 wks you shouldn't need to cycle intensity.If with this approach you fail to progress with 1 rep every week or two then try a light (50-60%) and heavy (65-85%) workout.
Dont over complicate anything,keep things simple,track your progress and evalute you prograame every cycle to see what works or doesnt.
Vince.
I believe Coach was referring to Wall Walks and Cast Wall Walks not walking on the hands. The student worked up to 10 minutes of Wall Walks. I can only do about 4 reps. I'm going to stick with CWW until I can do 5 sets of 5. Currently, my 3rd set of 4 is difficult.
I've read that walking on the hands too early in training keeps the wrists from being devoloped enough to effectively hand balance.
Being able to correct over and underbalancing seems to require a different type of awareness than just moving your hands to a create a new balance point. If I wait to long to correct overbalancing, I seem to have about 300+ lbs of pressure on my finger tips which I can't correct and fall.
The training to failure thing is confusing: Some people say Never train to failure, others say you can't get the maximum training effect without Failure.
http://trainingscience.net/?page_id=94
Aware of the criticism of the previous three analyses, Kreiger (3) conducted a fourth meta-analysis in 2009 specifically designed to improve upon the limitations of the previous studies. He examined 14 studies with 92 effect sizes measured across 30 groups of subjects comparing 1-set, 2-3 sets, and 4-6 sets. He found that 2-3 sets produced 46% greater increases in strength than 1 set in both trained and untrained subjects. Interestingly, he also found no difference in results between 2-3 sets and 4-6 sets. Performing more than 3 sets did not produce a greater increase in strength. Kreiger’s study strengthens the findings of both of Rhea’s previous studies. There were some differences between Wolfe’s findings and Kreiger’s findings in terms of the effect of volume of training but Kreiger’s study also strengthened Wolfe’s finding that multiple sets produce superior results to a single set. Finally, a 2010 meta-analysis of 72 studies by Frohlich et al (1) found single set training to be the equal of multiple set training for short training periods but multi-set training to be superior over longer periods of training.