Greetings!

Started by Raul S, January 2, 2013 · 2 Replies · 1,765 Views

Raul S

Hello! My name is Raul, I'm 17 and I've been training for various goals for the last 10 years. I started out as a basketball player at age 7, but due to small stature ( I'm 6 ft tall ) I decided to end my ''career'' about a year ago. At 14 years old I got into lifting weights and improved quickly in the gym, at first I didn't really know how I should approach weights, so I just did light weight lifting, mainly training my upper body as usual. Some time after I finished the almost necessary dumb training time in the gym, I asked for guidance and got more serious. Although I had ended my basketball workouts, I never stopped training altogether, making the gym and middle-distance running my two primary goals. My weight gradually increased and so did my strength, but I felt I wasn't truly as strong as I looked and started seeking for new ways of strength training. Gymnastics had always been an interesting topic for me, the strength feats that gymnasts performed shocked me and I decided I want to have the strength of theirs. After roaming in the wilderness of internet I finally found a forum, where impressive feats, intelligent trainingmethods and experts of the trade have joined together to form a wonderful place for beginners like myself.

 

I started a week ago with the killroy template, as I found I was strong enough to make the prerequisites and german hangs and stuff right off the bat.

 

Right now I'm able to hold an L-sit for maybe 5 seconds, advanced frog stand for 10 or more and other statics are not worth speaking of. :)

 

I still have a question regarding the optimal programming of my routine. As I'm totally new to this I'd like to have the best method of training possible, getting the most out of my sessions. So should I start out at an even lower level and really focus on my basics or am I doing this the right way? I'd like to note out that my diet is totally in check, getting enough macronutrients every day, my body fat is about 10 and weight of 180 pounds, I'm very eager to start off right not like I did with my weightlifting experience.

 

 

alec_ar

People smarter than I will come along and help you design a routine and all the intricacies involved in that. But first would you mind sharing any short and long term goals, like strength goals or fitness goals? Essentially, mapping out what you want from your training here.

One thing I can say is go slow on your initial exposure to straight arm strength training, you're a little taller and heavier than the average gymnast :) Oh, and welcome!

Raul S

Somewhere down the road I want to do the levers and hopefully the planche, right now I'd like to get a proper L-sit and L-hang and also get a longer free standing handstand. Doing splits has also been a new desire for me and I try to stretch for half an hour every day for this goal of mine. Basically I want to conquer new heights with this calisthenic method and not create this thing I like to call ''false'' muscle anymore.

 

The biggest issue for me is where to start from, I've been exposed to dips and pushups and planks and different holds aswell as pullups and leg raises for the past few years and gotten a good base for those exercises, but I'd like some input on my current regime :

 

I start off with wrist and elbow prehab as well as streches of all kind, do arm and elbow circles, do the prereqs such as planks, reverse planks, hollow and arch hold and the chin-up hang. I do that every time I'm about to work out.

 

After the warm-up I continue with my static holds, now I'm concerned whether I should or shouldn't do FL and Planche progressions just yet.

 

BL tuck (proficient enough in german hang, I think I should do them)

FL advanced tuck (not sure if I should do it because I'm not proficient enough in L-sit, although I can hold 8 sets of 6 seconds)

Advanced frog thing (Don't know if I should do them because of the L-sit thing)

L-sit legs wide

 

The aforementioned are done every workout day, followed by :

 

First day : Flat tuck row and diamond pushups (don't have rings yet)

Second day : inverted curls and russian dips

Third day : Wide pull ups with head behind bar, HeSPU

Fourth day : Pistols and core exercises

 

Please anyone, smart or not so smart but experienced tell me if I should go on with that one or I could get more out of something else?

 

P.S thanks for the welcome, I hope everyone can understand what I'm saying, my first language isn't english.