Planche Progression & Hand Placement

Started by EvolutionarySideSteps, January 1, 2013 · 8 Replies · 6,162 Views

EvolutionarySideSteps

I remember reading in BtGB that in the beginning, it was recommended experimenting with different hand placements when doing planche progressions. However I´m unsure if this is ok in the long run?

How will progress be affected if one day I do my sets with fingers back and the other day fingers forward?

Will progress with the movement be impeded if I keep changing hand positions? Or is the hand placement of lesser importance to progression through the different variations?  

tonio145

I don't think the hand placement is that big of a deal to the point were one version would interfere with the other. fingers forward puts more pressure on the wrists and fingers back feels harder to keep my arms locked. I would just get used to practicing it with fingers to the side or on parallettes.

Tyler Gibson

There probably won't be a huge difference either way. If your goal is to eventually prepare for planche on rings, then do it hands facing back. If you want to have a planche on the floor, it will be easier to balance with hands forward or to the sides. Practice them all but keep how you train in line with your goals.

EvolutionarySideSteps

So. Say I´m doing Planche tucks 4x/week. Would it be ok to do fingers forward 2 days and then fingers back the other 2 days? Or is it better do decide with one and go with that variation?

Sorry if you answered this already but reading around on the forums seems to give mixed messages.

divingpeanut

Just be careful because fingers forward will and should progress faster than fingers backward due to the demands of elbow conditioning in the latter.

B1214N
divingpeanut said:
Just be careful because fingers forward will and should progress faster than fingers backward due to the demands of elbow conditioning in the latter.

Fingers backwards also requires more shoulder girdle strength in addition to the bicep tendon and is most likely harder to balance, but fingers forward planche requires and builds strong wrists.

EvolutionarySideSteps

Thanks alot for all the answers! You really cleared some of my questions. One thing I´m still unsure of though, sorry if I´m repetitive but it may be that I´m not all that clear when asking. What I´m still unsure of is if it´s ok to mix the different grips when practicing or if I´m supposed to stick with just one of the hand placements. Is I for example do planche prog monday, tuesday, thursday & saturday. Is it ok to do it fingers backwards monday tuesday and then fingers forward thursday & saturday. Or should I choose one hand placement and stick with that for all four planche days?

divingpeanut

I think it is fine to alternate them, but keep track of them separately, since they have different weak links and should progress differently - they can be considered different exercises on the same category. Don't expect to be able to do with fingers backward what you can with fingers forward.

 

Perhaps this post will make things clearer for you:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/2621-pseudo-planche-push-ups-and-planche-lean-video/#entry21410

They are talking about planche leans, but the principle is the same.

EvolutionarySideSteps

Thanks alot again! That did clear a few things out. Fact is I started doing them fingers back because my wrists hurt when fingers where forward, I did however started doing planche leans w fingers forward with wrist pushups to try and "solve" that. But figured it might be injury prevention as well to mix hand positions when doing the actual planche prog.