My Improved Press Negative

Started by tonio145, January 1, 2013 · 4 Replies · 1,277 Views

tonio145

First of all I would like to wish everyone a happy new years. Just 4 days ago I posted a thread about this move https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9600-forward-lean-on-straddle-negative/#entry92415

and thanks to the advice I got on there I was able to improve my form.

 

Unfortunately I deleted the old attempt from my youtube account but the two problems I had was that my back was arched and my shoulders weren't open.  I was told to fix my alignment and then I realized that the reason my aligment was bad was because I was following a tip from a break dancer who told me to sit down in my handstand like a chair and then to open my legs. so now instead of doing that I just stretched for like half an hour and then tried it from my normal handstand. 

 

Anyway here is the new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y54FGEDKj3s

the reason I think its better is because on the previous one I wasn't able to pass through to a straddle L

 

I would like some feedback on my form and some advise on how to hold my legs higher in a straddle L.

tonio145

one more question. will I get stronger and eventually get a press handstand if i just keep doing these negatives? the reason I ask is because i'm really struggling with doing the press against a wall. I just cant seem to do it without using the back of my head for assistance and I know this isn't correct. 

yuri marmerstein

Try to initiate the movement with your hips and legs rather than with your shoulders.  basically try to being your feet to your elbows without changing the shoulder angle. 

 

The longer you can stay open in the shoulder the easier this is going to be.  It will take some hip flexibility though, and you are lacking a bit in this department. 

yuri marmerstein
tonio145 said:
one more question. will I get stronger and eventually get a press handstand if i just keep doing these negatives? the reason I ask is because i'm really struggling with doing the press against a wall. I just cant seem to do it without using the back of my head for assistance and I know this isn't correct. 

The negatives are to help you feel the form and to get strength in the range of motion you want.  However, to be able to go up you still have to practice going up.  Since you already have some semblance of balance, I would recommend going from handstand as low as you can then coming back up to HS.  At first it may only be hip level but combining that with the negatives should be very helpful. 

 

also, keep working your handstands and flexibility. 

tonio145
yuri said:
Try to initiate the movement with your hips and legs rather than with your shoulders.  basically try to being your feet to your elbows without changing the shoulder angle. 

 

The longer you can stay open in the shoulder the easier this is going to be.  It will take some hip flexibility though, and you are lacking a bit in this department. 

right before doing this I did a middle split pancake stretch. so is what i'm lacking active flexibility? Could I improve this by working on my straddle L sits?