http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6arsEmsLQQ&feature=youtu.be
is this too much forward lean? I really want to learn this move so any tips and advice is appreciated
Started by tonio145, December 28, 2012 · 9 Replies · 1,759 Views
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6arsEmsLQQ&feature=youtu.be
is this too much forward lean? I really want to learn this move so any tips and advice is appreciated
You did lean quite a bit, but at the beginning you will probably not be able to do it without any lean, because it gets a lot harder without leaning at all. I don't really see a problem here.
What you have to work on is compression. You need a good pancake stretch and you need to be able to reach the pancake position actively and not only passively. A wider straddle will make the exercise easier, too.
As soon as you can actually reach a straddle L, you can start working on leaning less.
yeah I should definitely start working on those. I can do a straddle L on parralets and I can kinda get into it on the floor if I stretch first and then do like a rocking motion from a straddle on the floor. But when I do it I feel like my legs aren't as high up as they should be
this is my pancake stretch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onvghxr0UMg
my routine is to first do this and then I do the press negatives
The reason for leaning can be connected to lack of compression, but it seems your main issue is improper positioning in your handstand. When you start your negatives you already have an angle in your shoulders and an arch in your lower back which tells me you should work on your shoulder flex and alignment. The thing is that to get a very folded negative, you need to be completely stacked on top of your shoulders and stay rounded in the upper back and pressing out of your trapezius while folding more at the hips.
What you are doing now is that you compensate by leaning and planching it a bit too much. This is also the reason your legs are not high enough for you to pass through to straddle L. I think you should continue to practice it, but make sure to spend more time on getting better alignment as the elevation/protraction you use for a completely stacked handstand is essentially the same as for a press,
when you say I have a shoulder angle do you mean that my head should be more in-between my arms? to fix these issues should i do more wall work?
Here is a description and a video that Coach wrote. Be sure to read the notes.
thanks! i have seen that video before but didn't know there was all that info in the description.
With shoulder angle i mean that you are not completely stacked on top of your shoulders. Look at your handstand at 4 seconds into the clip and you see what i mean. Your shoulders are not in a straight line with your torso and your back has to compensate by arching.
The notes on the clip are great. A lot of important key points there. The press in the clip is decent, but can also decrease the amount of lean involved. Ideally the shrug from the trapezius and scapular muscles is so strong that you stay completely stacked until your legs start to go below 90 degrees and into straddle L or Lsit.
ok thanks a lot for the help. i'm going to start working on my handstand alignment and once I think its better ill post a vid. I also haven't practiced L-sits in a while but now that I'm a little bit more flexible i'm going to start working on straddle L's