Your Starting Experience

Started by Chris Schwab, December 29, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,319 Views

Chris Schwab

Hello all!

 

I would to know a couple things, in as much detail as you can provide:

 

i) When you guys started Gymnastic Strength Training™ did you start by using a full body routine like the killroy template for each workout, or a splits routine such as Push/Legs/Pull/Repeat. If you later on switched at what point did you do this? (give me a few examples like, "once I achieved straddle planche")

 

Personally I took a few days reading through a couple different books and articles and decided to start using a split routine for 6 days a week so I got two workouts for each. However since I am almost starting back at square one again with all the FSP I thought it may be worth trying a full body routine this time because the splits I do each workout takes around 2hrs to fully do. Because of the time commitment I usually end up doing each workout (so from push to push workout not just from any workout to the next) once every 6-8 days so I think I am losing a lot of benefit that I gain by the next workout.

 

ii) How would a 3x/week full body routine without statics and then a separate 2x/week statics only workout sound? Would that not work as well, or would it just be less convenient but work even better?

 

One of the reasons I am contemplating keeping statics separate is that I've realized that I do a lot that I am not concentrating on form as much because I want to get through the workout and I've just realized I've been doing bent arm planche workout for a few months and just tried to switch over to straight arm tuck planche and could only hold it for 2 or 3 seconds. Is straight arm really that superior? Because if it is I am willing to stop bent-arm and restart over with straight arm work.

 

Lastly, do you guys have any logs from your earlier days you would mind me having a look at? 

 

Thanks all!

 

Chris.

KingJR

1) yep, starting using something similar to what I believe is the killroy template. Decided to change it up when I decided I needed to shorten my workouts. Now I follow the Integrated method from the book.

 

2) one way to know is just try it out and see for yourself buddy. And yes, from everywhere I read, straight arm is the way to go.

Bipocni

I think most people have a static day and a dynamic day.  It depends on how strong you are.  A static day for me would be like, bar hangs and XR support, so it wouldn't make much sense to devote a whole workout to it.

 

Have you considered working out 3x a week, ABA the first week and BAB the second?  (A being bent arm and B being straight arm)