Hello guys. I've been training planche variation for 1-2 weeks now using the Frog stand variation and now I can handle it pretty well so I advanced to the next variation which is the Advanced frog stand and I faced a problem. Coach sommer says that the difference is that you straighten your arms completely and rest only your knees on your elbows to make it harder. well if my arms are completely straight and my knees are resting on them. My elbows will snap. so am I doing something wrong or what exactly? O.o
Advanced Frog Stand
Started by Omar Elbasha, December 28, 2012 · 6 Replies · 4,963 Views
Well part of the benefit of this position is to develop elbow strength. You should not push hard with your knees against your elbows just lightly let them lay on the side for added support.
A video of you attempting the position would be very helpful, we could properly pinpoint the problem.
If you feel your elbows just are too weak, then try planche leans. They are very helpful for this type of thing.
Omar,
I used to feel the exact same way about the adv frog. When I was trying to transition from basic frog, I felt like my elbows would snap. Daniel has good advice about the planche leans. I worked them for about 3 months and dropped the adv frog from my routine. 3 months later, the adv frog felt a lot better on my elbows and I could hold it with little to no elbow discomfort. So, as Daniel stated, you should give those planche leans a whirl. Also, fingers forward planche is the least strenous arm position for the elbow - something to keep in mind. But, I worked planche leans usually with fingers side and backwards, and occasionally forwards for wrist strength. I still work planche leans too, they are a good complement to advanced frog training.
Also, back lever training wouldn't hurt!
Thank you all for your help. I tried all your suggestions and they worked for me
. If you dont mind I got just 2 more questions. Is it safe for me to do all of the moves in the book even if i dont have any prior gymnastic experience? I mean do I have to do some kind of joint strengthening/preparation before I try them or are my joints getting stronger the more I train and do more progressions.
Shakyamuni said:Also, back lever training wouldn't hurt!
Actually it might. If you have elbow problems it isnt a good idea to start back lever training in addition to support and planche.
Omar Elbasha said:Thank you all for your help. I tried all your suggestions and they worked for me. If you dont mind I got just 2 more questions. Is it safe for me to do all of the moves in the book even if i dont have any prior gymnastic experience? I mean do I have to do some kind of joint strengthening/preparation before I try them or are my joints getting stronger the more I train and do more progressions.
With the proper preparation it will be safe to move through the progressions. The mistake a lot of people make including me is to try and progress too fast. Gymnastics strength training requires quite a bit of joint prep which is usually tendon related. Coach has posted his elbow prep guidelines on here and has posted most of his wrist prep. The best thing is to move slow. Be sure to do the prerequisites before moving to the fundamental positions. This will eliminate quite a bit of risk and will also make your progress better.
Some people do require more than others. I have trouble keeping my elbows up with the training I do. Basically I have dropped a lot of the volume for the time being and have added beneficial prep. Keeping with coaches progressions will however take care of most of the needed preparation which is why he has developed them in such a way. More of this information should come to light soon enough so I suggest continuing the leans and don't hesitate to check back in if you experience any more pain. Ignoring pain is how most injuries occur.
Daniel Burnham said:With the proper preparation it will be safe to move through the progressions. The mistake a lot of people make including me is to try and progress too fast. Gymnastics strength training requires quite a bit of joint prep which is usually tendon related. Coach has posted his elbow prep guidelines on here and has posted most of his wrist prep. The best thing is to move slow. Be sure to do the prerequisites before moving to the fundamental positions. This will eliminate quite a bit of risk and will also make your progress better.
Some people do require more than others. I have trouble keeping my elbows up with the training I do. Basically I have dropped a lot of the volume for the time being and have added beneficial prep. Keeping with coaches progressions will however take care of most of the needed preparation which is why he has developed them in such a way. More of this information should come to light soon enough so I suggest continuing the leans and don't hesitate to check back in if you experience any more pain. Ignoring pain is how most injuries occur.
Erm. I didn't read anything about any prequisites? :X