I had a few questions on progressions, from Coach’s book, that I was hoping someone could help answer.
Static progressions:
What’s the best way to determine what level in the progression you should start with and when should you progress to the next level?
For example, I have trouble with the basic “frog stand.†OK, so that’s easy and I think I want to train until I hit 60 seconds, right? But do I just do 30 sets at 2 seconds a set? Where do I go from there? Shoot for 5 second holds? When do I move to “advanced frog stand?â€
Bodyweight progressions:
Again, what’s the best way to determine what level in the progression I should start with and when should I progress to the next leve?
For example, if I can do 5x5 of XR PPP push ups, do I now begin working on XR PPP plus push ups until I can do 5x5 on those before then moving to XR PMP pushups?
BST question, page 175:
This is where it talks about working sets of either 3x5 or 5x5, but also says if additional hypertrophy is needed to do a 10x3 or reverse pyramid (12 reps down to 6) with increasing load.
First off, what would be an example of a reverse pyramid with increasing load? Would it be jumping pull ups for 12, THEN pull-ups for 10, THEN L chin ups for 8, and THEN L pull ups for 6?
Secondly, are the 10x3 and reverse pyramid rep schemes more beneficial for mass than the 3x5 or 5x5? Would you also get adequate strength gains, or are they geared more for a balance between size & strength?
Now that I wrote all this, please bear in mind that I may have little idea what I’m asking and I very well could be miss interpreting what’s written in the book. With that in mind, please be kind in your responses ïŠ
Thanks.