Gymnastics And Mma

Started by Riku Calderón, December 22, 2012 · 8 Replies · 3,674 Views

Riku Calderón

Hi there!

 

2 days ago my friend gave me the book. I had to open it up at the spot :) He knows that i want strength but don´t like olylifts ets.

 

My question is that I train MMA. How do you think this program will fit my needs? Im very weak for my weight class. i dont want to get slow. I think im in the right track with this program but still need your advise.

 

Sorry if my english is poor :(

Daniel Burnham

You won't get slow as long as you keep your mma training up and don't try for maximal hypertrophy. Gymnasts need to be very quick in their movements just like you.

I think Gymnastic Strength Training™ will transfer well to MMA. It's the only strength program that really focuses on joint health and straight arm strength. I personally don't have experience combining them, but there are several on this forum who have done or are still doing MMA. Hopefully they will weigh in on the specifics.

Riku Calderón

Thanks for your support.

 

I did just find in youtube these prerequisite videos. What are those?

 

Some must have arsenal before you start or just a warm up program?

 

I was going to start like the book says. I think its like Killroy with legs and core :) But now im all confused. Please help me with this.

Joshua Naterman

Start with the pre-requisite thread in "Getting Started."

 

You do NOT need to stop whatever strength training you are doing in order to practice those positions and movements!

 

These are simply to learn the shapes you will NEED to know, and become strong in, in order to progress. Without these, your GB training will be more or less wasted time.

 

We find this with many people at the Seminars, and once they go home and work the pre-requisites properly they see excellent progress.

 

I'm just mentioning that so you don't think I'm trying to blow smoke at you :)

 

The pre-requisites ARE challenging at first, and some will be for a long time, and that's just how it goes. Kind of like shin conditioning... it takes consistent, constant effort without overdoing it.

Riku Calderón

Thanks Joshua! I did the research and i think i know how to start. i was surprised that the were no one post that said DO THIS!

Daniel Burnham

There isn't a howto on the prereqs yet because its info that will be put into the next book. For now treat them like the other progressions and aim for 60 sec.

Riku Calderón

Okay now. I think i figured out my starting/forever program.

 

I am not going to do the WODs cause i have so many hours of MMA every week. I do this like I woud do regular weight training.

 

I am going to start whit pre-reques and work my way up to the "real" statics. i did try out yesterday and did find out that im almost done with the pre work and I leave 60s of everything for my warmup routine. when i get the 3 x 60s.

 

I still have one question before the next book is released.

 

I do 3x3-5x5 for pulling, pushing, core and legs for the max strength. Do i circulate trough the different categories in core and legs also?

 

Like if i do deck squats today. i do SLS tomorrow etc.

 

Thanks. Im so exited or this system!!!

Bipocni

How's the program design working out for you?

Riku Calderón

Hi Bipocni,

 

It´s going really good! I finally got energy again in my MMA training. The CrossFit WODs were too much.

 

I like the feeling that i get to my midsection for the whole day doing the pre works. Only Hollow hold is hard. Everything else goes 3 x 60 with no rest in between sets or rounds.

 

Still trying to find my levels at FBE:s. some are too easy and others have been too hard. It takes time but best program yet.

 

And the main think is that im finally having fun doing my strength work!!!