This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Daniel Shields's Training Log

Started by Daniel Shields, December 21, 2012 · 33 Replies · 103 Views

Daniel Shields

3/14:

FL/PE2 5x60

sPL/PE1 4x9

SL/PE1 4x24"

MN/PE1 4x15

SLS/PE1 4x12

HBP/PE2 4x9

RC/PE1

 

I realized that I exaggerated the movement on FL/PE2 in a manner that made the easier. I at least a cycle or two away from mastery. For RC/PE1, I experimented with the form rather than focusing on aiming for a specific rep range.

 

3/15:

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 4x3

FKP/PE2 4x5

WR/PE2 4x5

FTP/PE2 4x5

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 3x30"

HS/PE4 5x30"

HS/PE2 3x24"

Overgrip Dislocates 1x10

Overgrip Dislocates 5lb 1x10

 

3/19:

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 4x3

FKP/PE2 5x5

WR/PE2 4x5

FTP/PE2 4x5

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 3x30"

HS/PE4 5x30"

HS/PE2 3x24"

FL/PE2 1x60 - 1x30

sPL/PE1 4x9

SL/PE1 4x24"

 

I tried to get in an F1 workout after my H1 work, but I had to stop after SL or I would have been late for a lecture.

 

3/21:

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 4x3

FKP/PE3 4x3

WR/PE2 4x5

FTP/PE2 4x5

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 3x30"

HS/PE4 5x30"

HS/PE2 4x24"

 

I'm going to try doing the 4 Day HS template this cycle. I feel that my Handstand work would benefit from the higher frequency, and 3 days a week of F1 work might be a bit much combined with my fairly hectic schedule and irregular eating habits as of late.

Daniel Shields

WSR/1-4

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 3x30"

HS/PE4 5x30"

HS/PE2 4x24"

HS/PE3 1x15"

HS/PE5 1x30"

 

I chopped down a couple of trees and did a lot of digging today, which left my hands and forearms feeling a bit worse for the wear. I decided to err on the side of caution and skip the wrist conditioning for today. I tried out a set of HS/PE3 and HS/PE5 out of curiosity. Even with an empty PVC pipe, HS/PE5 was a lot harder than it looked.

Daniel Shields

FL/PE2 4x24

sPL/PE1 4x12

SL/PE1 4x24"

MN/PE1 4x12

HBP/PE2 4x9

RC/PE6 3x12"

SLS/PE1 4x15

 

Everything seems to be on track. I tried moving the SLS to the last exercise of the day. I liked that order more than the other because the SLS leaves me feeling drained. I think my HBP and RC work will be higher quality if done prior to SLS.

 

I didn't have access to rings today, so I tried out RC/PE6. 3x12" felt good, and I might have been able to do another set or two. I'm looking forward to working up to it. I think it will be wonderfully effective for addressing my lack of active flexibility in that ROM.

 

I mixed up a an isotonic solution with whey protein and glucose for my workout today. I'm going to try to get into the habit of doing that more consistently. I've also gotten a large water bottle and some tupper ware so that I can start bringing milk and veggies to school. My habit of skipping breakfast and then sitting in class for several hours without a chance to stop and eat has surely been cutting into my recovery ability. Fixing that plus being more meticulous with my workout nutrition should make my training go much more smoothly.

 

I've been preparing this years garden over the last couple of weeks. I have several hundred seeds in the ground, and still have over a hundred warmer weather species waiting to be planted. I've also been working on digging swales and a fish pond. I'm growing increasingly excited about the idea of growing my own fresh, organic food. I'm also doing research for keeping livestock, which will be truly exciting. Even a modest herd of goats will provide me with all the fresh, organic, raw milk I could drink. The county my place in the suburbs is located in just changed its chicken ordinance as well. That unexpected boon has me working on plans for figuring out how to work chickens into my small scale project. Even one or two laying hens would make for a lot of top quality protein and good fats.

Daniel Shields

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 4x3

FKP/PE3 4x3

WR/PE2 4x5

FTP/PE2 4x5

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 5x30"

HS/PE4 5x30"

HS/PE2 4x36"

HS/PE5 4x24"

Inverted Hang 3x12"

Hip Stretching 15'

Shoulder Stretching 25'

Daniel Shields

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 4x3

FKP/PE3 4x5

WR/PE2 4x5

FTP/PE2 4x5

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 5x30"

HS/PE4 5x30"

HS/PE2 4x36"

HS/PE5 4x24"

Fingers Only Chin Dead Hang 3x12"

 

FL/PE2 4x24

sPL/PE1 4x12

SL/PE1 4x24"

MN/PE1 4x12

HBP/PE2 4x9

RC/PE1 1x9 - 3x5

SLS/PE1 4x15

Neck Curls 2x20, each side

Foam Roll T-Spine 10'

 

The last two reps of my last two sets of HBP/PE2 were a little ugly. I think it would be wise to repeat this week again before progressing. RC/PE1 is quite difficult when done with a smooth, controlled motion with the heels being the only point on the body to touch the ground through the whole set. In fact, it is substantially more difficult than HBP/PE2. Considering the logic of the program advancing from lower intensity and higher volume to higher intensity and lower volume, I think it might be a better idea to continue with the row variations until I reach one that is more difficult than RC/PE1 as I performed it today before returning to it.

Daniel Shields

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 5x3

FKP/PE3 5x5

WR/PE2 5x5

FTP/PE2 5x5

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 5x30"

HS/PE4 5x30"

HS/PE2 5x36"

HS/PE5 3x24"

Inverted Hang 3x12"

 

Overall, I'm feeling very good about my training. The wrist conditioning seems to be coming along better than expected. To avoid injuring myself with overzealousness, I am going to stick with this rep range for at least the rest of this microcycle and work on smooth, controlled reps. HS/PE2 is coming along very nicely and I'm starting to get used to the pain in the top of my head. I do have some significant tenderness in the muscles around my temple and behind my ear, but the musculature that supports my neck feels fine, so I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Daniel Shields

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 5x3

FKP/PE3 5x5

WR/PE2 5x5

FTP/PE2 5x5

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 5x30"

HS/PE4 5x30"

HS/PE2 4x36"

HS/PE5 2.5lb 4x12"

Fingers Only Chin Dead Hang 3x12"

FL/PE2 4x36

sPL/PE1 4x15

SL/PE1 3x36"

MN/PE1 4x15

HBP/PE2 4x9

RC/PE2 4x9

 

I let myself get off schedule due to being deeply absorbed in an art project for the past couple of days. I did my H1 and F1 workouts today though, so ultimately I only lost one H1 day. I added a 2.5lb plate to my PVC pipe for HS/PE5 today. Due to the increase in perceived difficulty, I think my PVC pipe is likely around 5lbs itself.

Daniel Shields

SLS/PE1 Singles

FL/PE2 4x24

sPL/PE1 4x12

SL/PE1 4x24"

MN/PE1 4x12

HBP/PE2 4x9

RC/PE2 4x9

Air Squats 1'30"

 

I'm embarrassed to admit that I went the duration of April with no more exercise than a handful of unstructured workouts and some yard work. I let end of the semester pressure and personal projects distract me from my gymnastic training. As much as I wish that I had been more disciplined and maintained my workout schedule, there is no sense lamenting the past. Now that Summer break is here, I'm going to get back on my schedule and put my training back as a central priority.

 

It felt great getting back to working out. My strength doesn't seem to have suffered much from the delay. I've decided to put SLS/PE1 singles at the beginning of my workouts and then do intervals with air squats at the end. I am concerned that the fatigue of performing SLS/PE1 according to the rep scheme I was using will lead to internalizing poor movement habits. I think that this compromise will allow me to focus on developing perfect form and allow me to better improve my conditioning deficit.

 

All in all, life is going as smoothly as can reasonably be asked for. I had some exceptionally talented professors who I had the pleasure of conversing with over the course of the semester. I'm actually rather sad to see the semester end. I've picked up a handful of skills during my break from gymnastics. I've started doing work with stop motion animation. Its a very interesting meditative process spending hours meticulously arranging and photographing an object only to then see it come to life on your computer screen. In addition to being a visually interesting medium to work with, I can think of few better ways of training patient attention. I've also been playing didgeridoo and throat singing a lot, and working on video art in AfterEffects to compliment it. I've been putting effort into honing my writing and public speaking skills as well. I'm planning to put them to good use of the Summer to flesh out my Permaculture blog.

 

My Summer garden is shaping up nicely. I have a swale, hugulkultur bed, and a couple of deep mulch beds that are starting to fill in nicely. It is looking like my Permaculture career is going to begin sooner than I had expected. I am currently working on arranging the logistics of moving to Costa Rica at the beginning of 2014 for the purpose of doing a documentary on sustainable agriculture and intentional community. I'm hoping that if it goes successfully, it will provide an opportunity to travel to different regions of the world to document their approaches.

Daniel Shields

WSR 1-4

WP/PE2 5x3

FKP/PE3 5x3

WR/PE2 5x3

FTP/PE2 5x3

HS/PE2 3x36"

Fingers Only Chin Dead Hang 3x12"

Air Squats:Calf Raises 3x1':30"