This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Daniel Shields's Training Log

Started by Daniel Shields, December 21, 2012 · 33 Replies · 103 Views

Daniel Shields
I would like to start with a deep and sincere thank you to Coach Sommer for sharing his incomparable expertise with us with remarkable lucidity and patience. I also owe a lot of gratitude to the prolific forum contributor Joshua Naterman. His work never fails to trigger epiphany moments and has dramatically improved my understanding of anatomy, nutrition, and strength training.

 

To give a brief account of my training history, I was always active as a child and loved playing in the woods. However, as I grew into adolescence, I fell into the pattern of sedentary media consumption that is far too common in the modern world. I was also a heavy consumer of soft drinks and processed food during that period.

 

A couple of years age I became interested in strength training and began experimenting with weight lifting and eating a whole food, plant heavy diet. Due to often poorly conceived programming and allowing far too much deterioration of form, my first year of training yielded sub par results. But it did leave me with a deep love of strength training.

 

Over the past year I have been doing a lot of research and becoming more serious about my training. I had been aware of Coach Sommer's work for a while, but always felt daunted by the idea of trying to put together a program and follow it without injuring myself. At the beginning of last May I finally got over my reservations and began training according to the Gymnastic Bodies method.

 

At first I had some set backs due to pushing too aggressively and not doing sufficient mobility work, but I soon realized that disciplined patience is absolutely vital to success with this style of training. As seems to be a common experience around here, once I swallowed my pride and started over at the most basic progressions and made mobility and preparatory work central to my programming, I was delighted with the progress that I began to see. I've also been struck with how much more enjoyable the Gymnastic Bodies style of training is.

 

So far my abilities are nothing impressive, certainly in comparison with the humbling performances of so many of my fellow forum members, but it is becoming increasingly clear that if I can remain consistent with my training and diligent in my study I will be able to achieve great things.

 

I'm excited to finally be a participating member on the forums. Thank you to all the wonderful people and inspiring athletes who make this forum the greatest fitness community on the Internet. May you all reach your goals quickly and without injury.

 

Daniel Shields
Over my Winter break from university, I spent most of my time living on a piece of land that my aunt and uncle recently purchased bordering a national forest. It has been an interesting change of pace due to the fact that there is no running water, internet access, or cell phone reception there. Until recently, they didn't even have electricity.

 

Other than for the opportunity for introspection, contemplation, and solitude in nature, my reason for spending time there is that I plan to make my first attempt at planting a permaculture system this Spring. For those who aren't aware, a permaculture system is a self-sustaining agricultural ecosystem. If I'm successful, it should be a good compliment to my physical training. There is no higher quality food than that which you grow yourself. I'm particularly excited about raising my own meat and dairy, as purchasing quality organic meat and dairy is a big strain on my relatively meager budget.

 

For better or worse, it has disrupted my gymnastics training schedule. I spent many hours  a day hiking in the woods, jogging and sprinting along the trails, macheteing and hauling small trees, and carrying around awkwardly shaped and heavy objects. I did try to work in some Pre-FSP and L-Sit practice every couple of days, and have been climbing tall pole like trees ranging from 5cm to 15cm in diameter, which is a decent substitute for rope climbing.

 

For the past couple of weeks, I have returned to my usual program of Pre-FSP work followed by Handstand, Bridge, German Hang, L-Hang, and L-Sit work followed by a horizontal/vertical push/pull pairing. I was happy to see that despite my lack of planing over the Winter break, my gymnastic ability seems to have improved. I now have a solid 60†hold on all of the Pre-FSP positions. This strikes me as particularly auspicious timing in light of the much anticipated release of Coach Sommer's new training program tomorrow. I also now have a solid 30†German Hang that is far deeper than when I began training it, with none of the wrist pain or numbness that used to plague me.

 

Within the next few days, I hope to post videos/photos to establish a baseline of where I am now and submit my Pre-FSP performance for review to confirm that I am maintaining adequately strict form. As I follow Coach Sommer's forthcoming training prescription, I will try to consistently document my practice and the results it yields, both for the sake of personal accountability and for demonstrating the efficacy of the training methods. I have faith that if I execute Coach Sommer's program meticulously and consistently, the results will be excellent.
Daniel Shields

Having read through Foundation One and just finished my first workout based on it, I'm very impressed with the new and improved system. My workout was definitely humbling. I tested myself for mastery of the easiest levels of SL, sPL, HBP, and CR expecting them to not be too challenging, but ended up falling short of mastery on a couple of them. The substantially higher volume and lower rest compared to what I had been doing makes a world of difference. I also love the integrated mobility approach.

 

Its clear that am a lot less far along than I had thought myself to be, but I'm ok with that. It feels good to have a detailed and unambiguous map on how to progress.

Daniel Shields

Yesterday I did my first ML, SL, and SLS workout. Having been given a strong dose of perspective by the previous workout, I did not attempt mastery of these three, but rather did Week 5 for MN and SL and Week 6 for SLS. MN/PE1 Week 5 was fairly easy, but MN/PE1>iM is a very interesting movement and will take some practice before I am doing it gracefully. SL/PE1 Week 5 was challenging, but I was able to complete it with what I felt to be good form. SLS/PE1 was a lot more grueling than I expected due to the fact that SLS/PE1>iM can hardly be considered "rest". Muscularly I didn't have any major difficulty with it, but the cardiovascular toll was immense. It was a good wake up call, and I am going to start programming more running into my schedule.

 

Today I put on a 45 minute Spiral Tribe set and had a great mobility/stretching session. I'm feeling really good after that. I'm planning to try to do long mobility sessions like that a lot more consistently. My workout space here is too cramped to get a good camera angle, but next time I'm up in the countryside I'll take some video of the mobility work I do that I've synthesized out of my study of dance, martial arts, and physiotherapy material in addition to just experimenting with different ranges of motion.

 

My plan as of now is to start each Foundation exercise one month behind what I am currently capable of. The rational for that is that it will allow me to be fastidious with my form and allow some extra recovery capacity to experiment with finding out the right balance of supplementary handstand work and hangs. So far my program is looking like this:

 

A:

FL/PE1, Week 9

sPL/PE1, Week 1

HBP/PE1, Week 9

RC/PE1, Week 1

 

B:

MN/PE1, Week 5

SL/PE1, Week 1

SLS/PE1, Week 5

 

I'm going to be doing the 4 days a week template, and running and doing mobility work on the rest days.

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series
Wall HS 3x12"
FL/PE1 4x48"
sPL/PE1 3x3
HBP/PE1 4x12
RC/PE1 3x3
German Hang 4x12"

 

I have decided to try training my Stomach-to-Wall Handstand and German Hang according to the 60s and 30s Mastery Templates respectively. I am thinking that since the Handstands involve shoulder flexion and the German Hangs involve shoulder extension, it might be wise to superset or otherwise pair them. For now, I have the Handstand work at the beginning because it is higher skill and I want to internalize good habits. I plan to also do light Handstand skill work at the beginning of my MN/SL/SLS day.

 

Overall I feel like I have chosen the right level. Its difficult enough to not feel like a waste of time, but easy enough to keep solid form and steady tempo through each set. The exception is with RC/PE1. I had been doing them incorrectly and making them far harder than they should have been. Next time I will test myself to reconfigure what level I should be working at.

 

After the workout I did some dislocates and tried out Kit Laughlin's Rotator Cuff Stick Sequences. The stick sequences are excellent and will definitely feature prominently in my mobility work in the future.

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series
HS Skill Work 5'
MN/PE1 4x6
SL/PE1 3x12"
SLS/PE1 4x6
Dead Hang  4x24"

Foot Sequence 10'

Asian Squat 5'

Middle Split Work 15'

 

Another great workout. I feel like I've chosen the right difficulty level for these exercises.

 

I tried out Kit Laughlin's Foot Sequence today. I'm fortunate in that I've been going barefoot frequently for my whole life, including walking in the woods and along rocky creeks, so my feet are probably in better shape than the average suburbanite. Nevertheless, I can still tell that my feet have been overly neglected and will benefit from some mobility work.

 

When I was spending time in the bottom of the squat position, I noticed that the toe gripping and toe curling movements from the Foot Sequence feel remarkably different in a squat position. Gripping my toes and tilting side to side and back and forth at the ankles felt particularly potent.

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series
Wall HS 5x12"
FL/PE1 4x60"
sPL/PE1 5x3
HBP/PE1 4x15
RC/PE1 4x15
German Hang 1x18"

 

The workout went well except (surprise, surprise) the extra work I felt compelled to add to the program. While I was able to complete 5x12" Wall HS, I don't think it will be tenable to continue training it with the F1 template due to the added strain of the wall walk to get into and out of the position. For the time being, I'm going to keep it simple and just train them by doing 2-3 sets by feel and wait for the release of Handstand 1 to begin more serious training.

 

The German Hang felt great on my shoulders, but I ended up getting a disconcerting tingling in my right wrist in the carpal tunnel area, so I decided not to push it and risk injury. I've recently discovered that if I curl my thumb into my palm and then bend my index and middle finger backwards are the first knuckle, I feel an intense stretch in the carpal tunnel region. It also seems likely that imbalance in shoulder flexibility might be contributing to the problem by placing inordinate stress on my right wrist.

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

MN/PE1 4x9

SL/PE1 5x12"

SLS/PE1 4x9

Dead Hang 3x36" - 1x20"

sPL/PE1>iM 2'

Shoulder Stretching 20'

 

I tried doing the Dead Hangs using a thumb free grip today, which increased the difficulty more than expected and resulted in failure half way through the last set. I plan to reset the training back a cycle rather than returning to the use of a thumb grip.

Daniel Shields

Run/Walk Barefoot 15'

Foot Sequence 30'

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

Wall HSx2

FL/PE1 4x60"
sPL/PE1 5x3
HBP/PE1 4x15
RC/PE1 4x15

Hip Stretching 40'

 

Everything seems to be on track. Now that I'm doing higher volume with RC/PE1, I felt a good burn in my forearms. I think that doing extra Dead Hang work is unnecessary. I'm going to go with what my intuition should have told me from the start and try to execute the Foundation program as close to how its written as possible.

 

The long stretching session felt great. I think the sitting meditation that I've been doing has carry over to learning to relax while stretching. It is getting increasingly comfortable to hold stretches for several minutes at a time.

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

MN/PE1 4x9

SL/PE1 5x12"

SLS/PE1 4x9

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

FL/PE1 5x60"

sPL/PE1 3x6

HBP/PE1 5x15

RC/PE1 5x15

Daniel Shields

Yesterday, I spent several hours walking barefoot through the forest throughout the day, and then shortly before nightfall I did my F1 workout.

 

Wrist Series

MN/PE1 5x9

SL/PE1 3x24"

SLS/PE1 5x9

Shoulder Stretching 15'

 

Today, I once again went walking barefoot in the forest for a few hours.

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

Wall HS

FL/PE1 5x60"

sPL/PE1 3x6

HBP/PE1 5x15

RC/PE1 5x15

 

sPL, HBP, and RC are all coming along as planned, and I'm excited about progressing to the next cycle after deload week. Around the middle of this cycle I realized that I need to be doing FL/PE1 with a lot more compression. I start to lose range of motion around the end of the third or forth set when I focus on maintaining good compression. While I can keep my shoulder blades off the ground for 5x60", I think it would be wise to repeat this cycle focusing on getting up to 5x60" with excellent compression.

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

MN/PE1 5x9

SL/PE1 3x24"

SLS/PE1 5x9

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

Frogstandx2

FL/PE1 5x30"

sPL/PE1 3x3

HBP/PE1 5x8

RC/PE1 5x8

MN/PE1 5x5

SL/PE1 3x12"

SLS/PE1 5x5

 

Due to an unexpected change of schedule yesterday, I ended up skipping my workout. I opted to combine yesterday's workout with today's.

 

Paying attention to maintaining full compression, FL/PE1 seemed a lot more difficult than it should have during deload week. My realization that my compression was insufficient coupled Coach Sommer's statement that there should be no shaking while holding a static position mean that I am a lot further from mastery of FL/PE1 than I had thought.

 

I'm feeling very good about SL/PE1. I've experienced a very noticeable increase in range of motion recently.

Daniel Shields

Single Calf Raises Off Step 3x10

15 Ankle Dorsiflexions between sets

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

Frogstandx2

FL/PE1 5x30"

sPL/PE1 3x3

HBP/PE1 5x8

RC/PE1 5x8

Daniel Shields

MN/PE1 5x5

SL/PE1 3x12"

Daniel Shields

Wrist Series

Frogstandx3

FL/PE1 4x48"

FL/PE2 1x10

sPL/PE1 4x6

HBP/PE2 4x6

RC/PE2 4x6

Daniel Shields

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 5x5

FKP/PE2 5x5

WR/PE2 5x5

FTP/PE2 5x5

HS/PE1 5x60"

HS/PE2 1x25"

 

I'm excited to be starting on the H1 program. My current plan is to use the 3 Day HS Integrated template. 5x60" of HS/PE1 wasn't terribly difficult, although the pressure on my head will take adjusting to. I did have a bit of wobbling, but I don't think it was significant enough to prevent me from beginning to train HS/PE2.

Daniel Shields

FL/PE1 4x48"

sPL/PE1 4x6

SL/PE1 4x24"

MN/PE1 4x12

SLS/PE1 4x12

HBP/PE2 4x6

RC/PE2 4x6

 

Doing all 7 Foundation exercises back to back is definitely a different experience. Its quite taxing, and I have to admit to taking a breather after the SLS/PE1. SLS/PE1 has shown me just how poor my stamina is. As unpleasant as I find them, its clear that they are just what I need.

Daniel Shields

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 4x4

FKP/PE2 4x4

WR/PE2 4x4

FTP/PE2 4x4

HS/PE2 3x12"

 

I paired the WSRs with the wrist exercises in iM fashion. I think I'm going to set WP work back one cycle.

Daniel Shields

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 4x2

FKP/PE2 4x4

WR/PE2 4x4

FTP/PE2 4x4

HS/PE1>iM 10lb 3x30"

HS/PE2 3x12"

Shoulder Flex Pulls 10lb 1x5

FL/PE1 4x48"

sPL/PE1 4x6

SL/PE1 4x24"

MN/PE1 4x12

SLS/PE1 4x12

HBP/PE2 4x6

RC/PE2 4x6

Daniel Shields

Yesterday, I went to a GB Meetup and got some very helpful tips from Daniel Burnham and Joshua Naterman. I'm going to be returning to RC/PE1 and working towards doing them with as little foot support as possible. I realized that I have been making FL/PE1 harder than it needs to be, and will be progressing to FL/PE2 next workout. I thoroughly enjoyed working through some basic tumbling drills, and will be incorporating Forward Rolls, Backward Rolls, and Cart Wheels into my training.

 

Today:

WSR/1-4

WP/PE2 4x3

FKP/PE2 4x5

WR/PE2 4x5

FTP/PE2 4x5

HS/PE1>iM 30lb 3x30"

HS/PE2 5x12"

HS/PE4 5x30"

Fingers Only Chin Dead Hang 3x12"

Shoulder Flex Pulls 10lb 1x5

Overgrip Dislocates 1x10

Foward Roll 5

Cart Wheel 15

 

I experimented with doing a Reverse Leg Lift into HS/PE2, which I was able to do relatively smoothly. I tried out HS/PE4 today and was very happy to find that my intuition was correct and it is not very challenging for me. Due to the fact that I was already doing HS/PE2>iM, I substituted 15" of rest between sets of HS/PE4. I am going to start incorporating 5x30" of HS/PE4 into my warmup. I'm going to resume training the Dead Hang because I feel like grip endurance is one of my weak links and will be a major impediment to progress in gymnastics if I don't fix it.